Sydney Dogs and Cats Home Animal Shelter Pleads for Help

Deeds

Keeping naming of parties out of this but it definitely is political and budgetary.

Different NSW state govts have different ways. It's been a long slow process of trying to get land and funding.

Apparently another major party says they will provide funding if elected. Will wait to see. 

Our current govt invested in the e.g the new Grafton greyhound track. 4+ mil. A different kind of welfare funding.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/nsw-government-invests-greyhound-racing-future 

• Sad 2

This is the same government that has pretty much rebuilt ALL of the buildings on the RSPCA site in Yagoona - at a cost of around $25+ million all up over at least 3 rounds of funding that I'm aware of in recent years... and extended the peppercorn lease on the 5 acre block it all sits on for some ridiculous time in the future too.

Yet a pound facility that is run by a charity organisation gets a measly $500k to go towards expenses that will pretty much only see them stay afloat for around 6-12 months if they don't get the new site built - they are currently renting kennels from a boarding facility so that they are operating at around the same capacity as the old site in Carlton.

In all honesty, they may have bitten off more than they can chew, but time will tell once the state election is done, as to whether they get funding to build the new facility or not... it definitely won't be happening before then...

T.

• Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to contact Sydney Dogs and Cats Home when looking to adopt though.  I know I've tried to adopt a dog from there that was listed as in foster care and I didn't get a response to my application.  It doesn't help that I don't live in Sydney but I can travel there to meet with a potential dog.  I wish the shelter all the best and hope government support happens.  I can't stand the RSPCA and can't stand that it's the one organisation that gets all the funding and attention.  

• Like 1