Pet Dogs Mauled to Death in Melbourne Backyard

Deeds

I am not sure about all these reports, if I was a responsible amstaff owner I would be worried of a breed ban coming as there are more and more reports coming out of bad behaviour regardless if the dogs are actually amstaff or amstaff crosses it is getting to same point as the pitbull situation back in the 90's. Governments will always take the easier road and just ban the breed if this continues.

--Lhok

2 hours ago, Lhok said:

I am not sure about all these reports, if I was a responsible amstaff owner I would be worried of a breed ban coming as there are more and more reports coming out of bad behaviour regardless if the dogs are actually amstaff or amstaff crosses it is getting to same point as the pitbull situation back in the 90's. Governments will always take the easier road and just ban the breed if this continues.

--Lhok

Think a lot of the amstaffs are in fact pitbulls ,,,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deeds said:

@coneye Exactly.  I have been told this by pit bull owners .

In America many are dual registered, Am Staff and Pit Bull.  I remember when a dual registered male  imported to Australia.   Would seem they are one in the same from that. although Am Staff are exempt from the bsl.

Will admit i don't know much about them or at least probably no more than most ,, But my mate had 2 american staffys ,,   both looked like   english staffys only broader and slightly bigger  they were what you would get if you googled amstaffs  and lovely dogs i may add ,, seem to have the same temprement has a english staffy i owned  30 years ago   real nice  , soft  and gentle  ,

But my grandaughter has what  she claims is a Amstaff ,, i took one look at it years ago and said rubbish thats a pitbull  ,, taller ,  leaner , definetly got the staffy look but   a lot taller ,  thick set body but longish legs , now that dog is different ,  it seems freindly , but it gets boisterous and   wants to play that play goes to nipping , and then jumping very quickly , and he starts to get serious ,, its obvious to me her partner is scared of it  becuse when it starts getting boisterous like that he just puts it outside it will not calm down  , will say it 12-13 years old now and they hav not had an isue with it  ,   theve brought a 5 and a 2 year old into the world and it seems fine with them ., i wrned her years ago to keep a close eye on it , and she does  , her partner seems scared of t although he  claims he's not ,  my grandaughter can control him  with a single no , stop   it listens to her  and does has she says ,, but i can't help but think thats a dog given the right  or wrong circumstances  would go fro 0 -100 very quickly and without her there would be no stopping it ,,, i know they do not take him out because he's not good with dogs ,, when people come around and he wants to  get boisterous with them they put him out , so all in all he's pretty well under control ,,

Me i'm going to be happy when he passes on , at 13 it probably will not be long ,  because they recently spent thousands on some cancer treatment for him ,,  but dunno , to me  he's not a amstaff , they swear he is  but he's not  he's a definete pitbull ,,

Suppose they are responsible owners , because i liken him to my rotty Naz , he was reactive ,  or could be , but i knew it and treated it accordingly , thing is though  they swear he's a amstaff , but he did'nt come with papers  ,  I think if your sensible and you want one you would come on here and buy a amstaff with papers , or  just asume its pitbull or pitbull cross , and like that trainer said over the dutch shepards its in there genetics to be  reactive , just needs the right  button pushed

They are essentially the same dog. It’s a bit like the Mini Foxy and the Tenterfield Terrier in Australia.

It can be summed up as a petty shit fight between believers of each ‘breed’ which caused the creation of two breed names which are heading in slightly different directions. 

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/dog-breeds/american-staffordshire-terrier-history-amstaff/