Adelaide RSPCA Shelter Forced to Reject New Intakes as Capacity Exceeded

Deeds

Let's just note that if the RSPCA found a rescue or other shelter/boarding type business operating with similar overpopulation issues, they'd prosecute... just sayin'...

Then let's look at the fact that they are stopping surrenders, but will still try to squeeze in animals they seize... ummm... if you can't acommodate the ones you have already, how the hell are you going to ensure that animals seized won't be going from one poor situation to another (of their own making no less)?

Seriously - space for 300 cats, but housing 550? Space for 80- dogs, but housing 128? No... that is NOT acceptable in any scenario... especially when it's happening in the organisation that is supposed to be policing issues like that in the broader community. "Do as we say, not as we do" couldn't be any truer here... grrr!

T.

• Sad 1

The campaign to rescue never buy a purebred from a breeder is even going up on face plant breed forums.

saw a post saying no one should breed a litter this year until there are no dogs left waiting rescue at shelters should become mandatory, or to that effect.

meanwhile take a look at what is available at that shelter!  I for one would not want any but the breed of my choice.  with darned good reason I might add.

https://www.rspcasa.org.au/adopt-a-pet/?search=1&type[]=98

Edited by asal

On 11/03/2023 at 6:41 AM, tdierikx said:

Let's just note that if the RSPCA found a rescue or other shelter/boarding type business operating with similar overpopulation issues, they'd prosecute... just sayin'...

Then let's look at the fact that they are stopping surrenders, but will still try to squeeze in animals they seize... ummm... if you can't acommodate the ones you have already, how the hell are you going to ensure that animals seized won't be going from one poor situation to another (of their own making no less)?

Seriously - space for 300 cats, but housing 550? Space for 80- dogs, but housing 128? No... that is NOT acceptable in any scenario... especially when it's happening in the organisation that is supposed to be policing issues like that in the broader community. "Do as we say, not as we do" couldn't be any truer here... grrr!

T.

Just about choked at their "We are an underfunded charity "  obviously hasn't read about the billions invested in the annual returns then?

• Like 1

Mmmm ,, Well i've already posted on here a story about  how i over the years have bought numerous  dogs from the RSPCA  , I  also mentioned how i went to the rspca to get a little mate for the dog i currently have  ,  whereass in the past i would walk in have a wonder around , leave and come back when driving past  and eventually  the right dog would find me  ,  this time the door was locked ,  asked a passing staff member if i could go trough  to have a look , only to be told no  make an appointment covid and such , then after nearly 30 minuites of lining up to make an appoinment  ,  i gave up ,  covid my backside  ,  that paticular  rspca has ,  fenced off and locked up the majority of there  kennels to use for lucrative boarding , they have plenty of kennels available  just not available for strays or surrenders  they need them for boarding , hence don't want public  seeing them ,  the dog i got   and have now had for 7 years  , when i  got him i was charged an extra 100 dollars  WHY  because little white fluffy dogs  are popular she said so i have to pay more than the original fee advertized on the    kennel  i wanted him he picked me out  so i paid it ,  

Which RSPCA was it     you guessed it  the Lonsdale  one , the one thats    making a good buisness out of govt grants , expensive   dog kennels and volunteers to work  all on the pretence of housing lost and unwanted dogs , Over the years though i have wondered  how come   it only seems to be staffy crosses that they have , don't  pedigree dogs   get lost or surrendered any more , or could it be   they get sold seperatly has my wife says to the staff  ,

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Apparently RSPCA SA are claiming that their boarding operations have been stopped for now due to the large number of other intakes... but here's an interesting snippet...

"Due to significantly high numbers of animals in care our cat and dog boarding facilities are closed until further notice.  We may reopen them if our in care population decreases sufficiently. Existing bookings are still valid and we will be happy to board your pet for any prearranged bookings."

https://www.rspcasa.org.au/services/boarding/

I wonder where they will be putting those "existing bookings"? And what level of care will they receive if all the kennels are full to overflowing?

T.

There not closed there still taking  existing bookings  and will take a pre arranged booking ,  ALL bookings are pre arranged , you can't just rock up and say here mind my dog for me . there saying they have 128 dogs in 80 spots ,,, i can tell you thay have  a lot more than 80 kennels throughout , bet you any money if i make an appoinment to  go look at buying a dog  , they will not let me into the locked part where the boarding dogs are  to have a look

Well i've just been up there AGAIN terrible experience ,  talking about this shelter just made my wife say once again lets get a playmate for our dog , we have always owned 2 dogs  makes life easier   they  keep each other company if were not home .  So knowing that   i have been turned away before no people walking through policy , i done the right thing , rang the 1300 number went through 4-5 prompts  and was told  i don't need an appoinment just go up there , told we have reverted back to our old walk in policy   to try and bring the numbers down  , Great ,  i said are you sure i said  i don't want to get there and be told i need a  booking ,, No you will be fine said he lady , but go early she said  to allow yourself plenty of time with the dog if you want to adopt , so off i go .

I was working  80 klm away today so took the day off  left the job   and drove the 80 klm  , although i only live 5 klm away  i tdid drive 80 klm from work and arrived early , well i arrived ,  waited paitently at the front desk for approx 5 min  , then asked can i go see the dogs please  ,, to be told walking through is no longer allowed , WHAAAAT  i said i was told an hr and 8oklm ago i can  , no not here you need an appinment ,  i said thats not even what your web site says now , she answered  you want to look at a dog , look at them pics and pick one  then arrange a time to spend some time with it ,,, I said   you don't pick a dog or a pup from pics , you see whats on offer and THEY PICK YOU ,,,  well sorry but if you want one from here thats the way she said , ,  you can't pick from pics ,  you  look and see if there freindly with you  .   So i asked lets make it clear you want me to  pick a dog of the pics ,   tell you which one , and then make an arragement to meet it , YES she answered , and what about what i was just told  fro head office i can walk through  ,  and choose , don't know why she told you that was the answer , what about the 80 klm and an hours drive i just done ,  sorry she said  ,, Ok i said if i have to chose from a pic , wheres the other pics  of the other dogs ,   i asked ,, she said theres the pics on the board , i answered i don't want to choose between 6-7 staffy and bully crosses , how about pics of the other 128 dogs up for adoption , posted in the news by  this shelter , why only then half dozen dogs ,,  sorry can't help you your not allowed to walk through and look she said . So in theory if they have 120 dogs ,  i have to make an appoinment to see them all   before i say ,  lets go back to number 48 he  was really freindly and liked me

Guess what they can stick there dogs up there proverbial ,  i'm done with that organization , seems reading reviews i'm not the only one to come across this stupidity , no wonder there getting crowded , talk about make it hard  , its put me off getting another  , and if i do i'll definetly go to another organization

Which brings me to there kennels for boarding , most were empty you can see them from the road , so  why are they over crowded ,  they have around 200 boarding kennels nearly all empty , after all they are supposed to be a rescue home not a boarding kennel thats what the grants are for

Edited by coneye
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5