Dog Show Pulled Over Cropped Ears Moved to New UK Venue - American Bully Kennel Club. BBCNews

Deeds

After having a look at ear cropping on the web (yuck and eww)I ended up thinking banning this practice probably results in the procedure being carried out by idiots and butchers who don't know how to do it, or may know how to do it and do it without also providing good pain management to the poor puppy. Same with docking tails. I would never want to inflict these things on a dog, but if banning a procedure just drives it underground then it cannot be accessed in a safe and more humane way. This seems to be a case of deforming-a-dog-post-whelp to make it look how we want it to, as apposed to deforming-a-dog-pre-conception to make it look how we want it to.

I would rather people be able to crop their dogs ears at the vet and the procedure be done with proficiency and the poor dog be supplied with pain management and proper aftercare. I did not dare to google "ear cropping gone wrong", looking at the cropped ears of the "SHOW" dogs was bad enough. 

• Like 1

It may be just me, but I reckon the cropped ears on those massive heads looks ridiculous.

One could see that international judges from places where this practice is the norm would be putting those with the cropped ears up ahead of the uncropped though... it's what they are used to judging as the standard.

I remember dropping by the local pound to photograph the poundies for rescue, and they had a seized female pittie and 2 pups who had been recently ear cropped... unfortunately, as they were restricted dogs, they all were subject to a destruction order. I can remember the fresh wounds on those pups' ears, and that they were the sweetest little things, sadly with lives cut short because of their idiotic owner. No... I did not take any photos of those 3 dogs.

T.

• Sad 1

If i seen a dog with cropped ears my immidiette thoughts would be  owners an idiot , just a wally who wants a tough looking dog , because he thinks it makes him  a tough looking goose . Although will admit not seen many except in pictures on tv ect ,   Did see an american staffy with cropped ears , it did look like a tough dog , and the owner looked like a skinny scrawny  ,  underfed junkie .

17 hours ago, Adrienne said:

After having a look at ear cropping on the web (yuck and eww)I ended up thinking banning this practice probably results in the procedure being carried out by idiots and butchers who don't know how to do it, or may know how to do it and do it without also providing good pain management to the poor puppy. Same with docking tails. I would never want to inflict these things on a dog, but if banning a procedure just drives it underground then it cannot be accessed in a safe and more humane way. This seems to be a case of deforming-a-dog-post-whelp to make it look how we want it to, as apposed to deforming-a-dog-pre-conception to make it look how we want it to.

I would rather people be able to crop their dogs ears at the vet and the procedure be done with proficiency and the poor dog be supplied with pain management and proper aftercare. I did not dare to google "ear cropping gone wrong", looking at the cropped ears of the "SHOW" dogs was bad enough. 

Banning ear cropping has been very effective in Australia; I don’t think I’ve ever seen a dog with cropped ears.

Tail docking was banned much more recently and that move was very unpopular among show breeders but most breeders have complied, perhaps because conformation show regulations changed in line with the law.

I suspect many breeders would either crop/dock their puppies themselves or get it done by a “breed expert” rather than a vet, even if vets could and would perform those procedures. I think this is particularly in the case of those American Bully breeders, given their reported links with organised crime.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

On 12/4/2023 at 9:50 AM, Rebanne said:

and they are often cropped here by the unregistered breeders

I have never seen one either, so these dogs are probably never seen in public spaces, just kept at home or only taken to other peoples houses/situations who also crop ears.