Blue Merle Rough Coat Collie

Deeds

I came across a blue merle rough coated collie in the park this morning.  I've never seen a rough coat collie this colour.  Absolutely spectacular looking dog.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cannibalgoldfish said:

Why are they called rough coated and not long haired? just curious?

great question! I've never thought about it. Rough and smooth coats. I hope someone can answer. Jack Russells I think also have a rough coat and a smooth and can also get a broken coat which is partly both.

Not sure why they are called 'rough coat' rather than 'long haired', but it could be because collies  have a double coat (undercoat and topcoat) so their coat doesn't lie totally flat to their body, it is a double coat.     Smooth coat collies have a double coat as well, it is just that their topcoat is shorter.  Most breeds I can think of which have 'long haired' or 'long coat' varieties seem to be single coated.  Could be extremely wrong (hehe) it is just my thought.

Regarding the care of their coat, a well bred, correctly coated collie (and sheltie) actually require a lot less grooming that it looks like.  Their coat is naturally quick drying, when they do get drenched, they dry quickly.   But it actually takes a lot to get them wet to the skin and have the water get through their coat.   My girl can be out in the rain (don't ask me why, back door open - her choice) and she comes in looking quite wet, but it is all on top, not soaked in.

My girl gets a thorough groom monthly, and that is it.  This was her at the beach yesterday, and as you can see she was wading well up to her belly.   Back on the sand, quick shake and a wander in the sun and dry as a bone.   No need for a bath, or anything more than a quick brush on her legs to get rid of the sand.

belle 3.JPG

Belle 2.JPG

Belle 1.JPG

• Like 6

Rough collie . I know they make good movies stars , I grew up watching one , LASSIE  lol ,, however what about actual sheepdogs , / working dogs ,,  are they still used for that ,  are they any good , say compared to Heeler , Kelpie , border collie ,, I actually grew up with rough collies , my uncle ALWAYS had one ,   he had 3  if memorie serves me correctly ,  everyone of them called Lassie , and every one of them   were snappy around kids  never me  , i could walk and play with them , but others he would'nt allow near them , he always said    its the climate , too hot for them here in Aust he would say ,   especielly there nose he would say ,  it gets burnt , and they get cranky , don't know if its true  i just liked all off them