Nail Clippers Question

I want to get some nail clippers for a medium sized dog. What types are best? I was going to order some online but as I need them for next week I might just have to go find some at a supermarket or something. Recommendations of brand or type appreciated. I dont want to spend too much if I can help it. Thanks.

I got a great pair from Big W :cheers: Unfortunately i can't remember the brand name...but they feel nice in the hand and cut well without jagging and i think they cost me about $12.00 all up.

Use the clipper type you use on yourself.

easy, efficient, simple to use.

Gee........ I can't imagine my nail clippers would be strong enough or shaped appropriately to cut my dogs nails.... what kind of personal nail clippers do you use Dougie?????

I use the big toe-nail clippers on young pups, but they all soon need doggy ones. I got a $2 pair from Solly's or similar many many years ago and with regular oiling they are still going fine.

They are the guillotine type rather than the parrot beak type (which I really dislike for no particular reason :cheers: ).

EFS

Edited by molasseslass

Personally, I prefer to file the nails. If I was using clippers, I would use the plier type as opposed to the type that have a sliding gillotine action.

I use a "poor man's dremel" bought from Bunnings it is a rechargable hobby engraver cost me $15. If the nails are really long you may need to cut them first but if you just file them regularly you will find you don't need to cut them. The beauty of filing nails instead of cutting them is that it actually pushes the quick back within the nail. It is also very hard to make the nails bleed as can readily happen with cutting them. I found when I was using a clipper I erred on the side of caution and usually did not take them short enough in case I made them bleed.

I'll never go back to clipping adults. I start filing my pups from about 4 weeks of age when the nail thickens up a bit.

Sue

(formerly kingaire)

My girl's nails are as strong as and shaped like tree trunks! They were overgrown when I adopted her and she has a manic phobia to clippers of any kind. For the last number of years, I've hand filed them .... a slow, painstaking job - 2 hours to do all four, and then only simply taking of the surface, not really shortening them by much (although compared to when I got her, they at least are not affecting her natural gait). And I'd need to do them once every 2 weeks. (Lots of walking/running on bitamen "polished" them, rather than helped wear them down!)

But now! Now I have a "Dremel" machine - WOW! Have got them down the shortest I've ever been able (not that short, compared to what they should be, but I'm trying to get the quiks to shrink back bit by bit by little bit - working on it every 4-7 days). And I can do all four paws in 20 minutes.

Speaking of which, I think they're due to do again ..... :)

How much is a "Dremel" machine?

I don't have any problems cutting my dogs' nails (with guillotine type) but I'm fascinated by the idea of nail technicians for doggies! Is the dremel kind of like a grinder? How long does it take with the engraver thing?

Hi t-time.

I bought the "box and dice" version from Bunnings. Approx. $145.00. Came with the engraver's "pen" attachment. Cheaper versions (ie brands) are available (approx $60-$90.00) but these don't run as quietly as the real thing (ie Dremel).

Yes - it's a small grinder. All sorts of attachments are available, so for the guy of the house, it can be used for handyman stuff.

To do all nails, all 4 paws, takes me no more than 20 minutes (and that's me being careful!)

Clipping nails is faster, and isn't as inclined to weaken the nails. (My girl doesn't have a problem with weak nails, though.)

Advantage with the Dremel is you can more easily see where you're at, as far as the quik is concerned. This is difficult when you're clipping - particularly with dogs with black nails, and you have to do bit by bit by little bit - sometimes even then it's "hit and miss".

I've found, with the Dremel, you can see where the end of the quik is as you go. If an accident does happen, and you do nick the quik, I find the bit of heat generated by the grinding action cortorises the blood flow and it doesn't bleed much. You should only work on each nail for no more than 3 seconds, though, as the generated heat can build up and become painful.

Some people (usually "showies") use the buffer attachment to buff their dog's nails into a high sheen after they've finished grinding ....... I don't though.

There's a web-site you can go to that explains the method to use with the Dremel machine on dogs' nails.

HERE

I found a cheaper alternative to a Dremel at Super Cheap Auto. It was $40. It has a remote attachment so that you don't have to hold the motor part close to the dog.

That website is great Erny, and will help ensure that the dog is not burned by incorrect use of the tool.

I am putting my girl in a show next week thus the reason for the nail clipper question. I can not justify the cost of a dremel type tool (actually my OH probably has one - he has a million tools!) - also probably the noise or buzzing would freak her out. Dremel sounds like a great all purpose tool though!

I think I will just try to find a pair of cheap nail clippers (from supermarket or Big W like someone suggested). Probably wouldnt be a bad idea to manually file or buff them though. Do people use human nail files at all?

HI Chezzyr,

I admit I use a Dremel on all my girls( originally purchased cause I broke 3 lots of Doggy Nail clippers on the GSD) I LOVE it, the collies didn't like it much at first but i do their nails regularly and behaviour is improving just patience and lots of food required for bribery!

In general any brand of nail clippers will do the job, if you are overly concerned about doing them, most vets will do them very cheaply (depending on behaviour) Personally I don't like the guillitine style but that is a personnel choice.

Cheers

Jenny :)

Meant to say, to file, a fine flat 'bastard file' is best, the human ones tend to be too fine

Edited by JencolsmoothsandGSD

found this topic quite interesting.

my dog hates his feet being touched, and clipping his nails is such a hassle!

This dremel thing...are there lots of alternatives??

im wondering if my dad has something similar in his shed of goodies.

edited to add:

Anyone got any tips on clipping black nails?? I cant see the quick and when i have clipped his nails, i dont take much off as i really dont want to get the quick.

Edited by wagsalot

HI Wagsalot, The Dremel is a type of rotary tool, mine is actually a ryobi brand not the dremel brand which was just far too expensive for my needs.

When doing black nails it takes lots of care, i like to do them in bright light and a little water(or spit :rofl: ) on the nail can help you to see the quick. Take a little at a time. Here is a link that may help you with your nail trimmimng endevours!

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_nails.asp

:)

Jenny

No offense intended guys but I've had such a laugh reading these posts!

Doggy nail filing and buffing :) it just puts the funniest picture in my head it never even occured to me to do such a thing! C'mon now I want the truth: who paints their dogs nails or puts those little pictures on them? :rofl:

I can not justify the cost of a dremel type tool

My engravewr tool only cost $15. it is bigger than a dremel but works just as well. The only difference is that the Dremel, at least some of them are variable speed but mine is single speed. It does not rev as high as the Dremel so the nails do not get as hot as quckly.

Alternatively as I suggested in my first post, use sandpaper stuck on a piece of board or a cross cut (bastard) file from the hardware store.

Curly King:  "It does not rev as high as the Dremel so the nails do not get as hot as quckly."

The Dremel has variable speed, as you say. I run mine on about 3000 rpm (or whatever you call it). This makes it fast enough for a "clean" file, but not too hot (provided, of course, you don't hold it there for too long).

Jenny:  "i like to do them in bright light and a little water(or spit)...." 

:) I thought I was the only one who discovered that spit helps!

Wagsalot:  "im wondering if my dad has something similar in his shed of goodies."

I found out after I bought mine that my Dad's had one in the shed for years and years ..... :(

Wagsalot:  "my dog hates his feet being touched, and clipping his nails is such a hassle!"

But you'll still need to be able to handle your dog's feet. It's just that with some dogs, even the pressure applied by the guillotine style clippers is painful, so for them the "Dremel" or filing is less stressful.

Chezzyr:  "...also probably the noise or buzzing would freak her out."

That's why I went for the Dremmel - out of the choices available at Bunnings, it was the quietest. I was concerned about the "noise factor" and its affect, but that's proven NOT to be a problem with my girl.

Greytmate:  "It has a remote attachment so that you don't have to hold the motor part close to the dog."

I bought mine with that too, but, as it turns out, haven't had the need to use it. Must try it out to see if there's a difference ...

Haven:  "No offense intended guys but I've had such a laugh reading these posts!

Doggy nail filing and buffing  it just puts the funniest picture in my head it never even occured to me to do such a thing!"

Lucky you, Haven :rofl: I trust you don't have probs with your dogs' nails? (I'm jealous). Nail polish on my girl's nails??? I'd go through a whole bottle ...... for each nail ! :eek:

Prior to the Dremel, I used a "bastard" file plus one coarser than that. The coarse one first, to make it easier to get some nail down, and then the finer "bastard" (horrible name) file. I would end up in a sweat after I was done!! (The upside? Good Biceps!)