Ollie Has Had A Relapse

Hi all,

Just returned from the vet with Ollie as I noticed him drooling really bad and he seemed to be unable to settle in one spot...

After checking him over and another xray, the vet seems to think that his surgery 2 weeks ago to remove an oxcalate stone from his bladder was successful. But due to his symptoms and the fact that he appears to be in pain, that he may have more stones in his kidneys and he is passing one now.

We are changing to a Hills special diet food to help with this but he may have to go to Sydney Uni for a more detailed ultra sound to investigate further...

He is laying on the lounge at the moment and appears to have settled a bit with the pain medication, so hopefully will have a good night sleep...

If anyone else has had experience or knows anything about this, I would really appreciate some input. I have read so much on the internet that I am not sure what to beleive and what not to...

Thanks in advance

Jodie

oh damn! poor Ollie. What type of stones did he originally have? and was he getting medication afterwards..such as allopurinol? Cos allopurinol which is designed to prevent urate bladder stones can cause xanthine stones.

edited to add...should read more carefully. Oxalate stones. My holistic vet recommends avoiding calcium supplementation, dietary oxalate ie spinich, and avoid vit C supplementation in the form of calcium ascorbate. Consider a low to moderate protein diet and low salt to minimise the risk of reformation of stones. Encourage plenty of fluids offer broth as well as water. Supplement with vitamin B complex (B6 2-4mg per kg daily). Potassium citrate ( a urinary alkiliser ) may be needed if stones persist. She also says canned and fresh food contain more moisture than dry foods.

Edited by dogbesotted

Poor Ollie! :)

Do you ever put Apple Cider Vinegar in your drinking water? I have used it on cats, dogs and horses and even myself and whilst I formerly suffered miserably from UTI's, haven't had one now in probably 10 years!

Cat people swear by it for preventing the crystals that entire males suffer from so maybe it is worth discussing with your vet (if you haven't already that is).

Good luck.

He has calcium oxcalate stones and the medication that was available was something phosphate and is no longer available...

From my research I think the stones can be broken up by ultrasound but the only real way to treat it is with diet to prevent the stones in the first place... Our vet has ordered it in for us and we can pick it up on Tuesday - it is a Hills Science diet specially for this problem. My only concern is that Ollie has never eaten or liked any commercial dog food (especially canned stuff).

He needs more moisture in his food so it has to be canned stuff (yuck)...

I have found a great web page which is a diary of a dog owner that went through the same thing and all the problems along the way. I think I will print it out, highlight the areas of concern and take it up to Hamish (vet) and see what he thinks.

Thanks for all your well wishes...

I just get so upset when I can see that Ollie is in obvious pain and we have to wait for the pain killers to kick in...

Cheers

Jodie

I say a prayer for all DOLers and their d ogs with probs each night

I will add Ollie

and am hoping his pain soon eases cos its your pain too,

Chin up and all the best Ollie, poor lil fella

val :)

Hi all,

He seems much better today, there is no drooling, so it would appear no pain...

We are seeing the vet again tomorrow. We will probably have to go to Sydney Uni so Ollie can have a human quality ultrasound as the vet said that there is not one here in Canberra... We will also pick up the new tinned dog food that Ollie has to eat (yuck - tinned dog food, the thought makes me ill)...

Loraine, I have printed the details of that web site and I have it here to discuss with the vet tomorrow.

Mooper, can you believe I only said to my hubby on Saturday night that I would have to send you an email to ask a good time to drop the crate off... Then Sunday all my plans went out the window with Ollie not feeling well...

At least I know now why he drools like that and I can tell that he is in pain and I have the pain medication here to give him when it happens.

Thanks all for your well wishes.

Cheers

Jodie

We will probably have to go to Sydney Uni so Ollie can have a human quality ultrasound as the vet said that there is not one here in Canberra...

Hmm, my friend works in an ultrasound clinic in Canberra. And she's a dog-lover.

I'll ask her husband about this tomorrow, just in case they can save you a trip to Sydney! I know she does ultrasounds on everyone from expectant mothers, to people with ankle injuries and (recently) an old bloke with kidney stones.

Will send you an email if I find out anything interesting, Jodie.