Dry Food For Puppies

Hi everyone,

I would be interested in knowing what breeders and people with very young pups are feeding their babies.

I have weened my puppies onto Purina Pro Plan Puppy which i am also using for mum. I have been extremely happy with it. They all love it and their stools are decent. Slowly i have been introducing small amounts of other foods eg. yoghurt, cottage cheese, tuna, scrambled egg (small), etc to get them used to a variety of foods. Some of my puppy people were considering putting their pups on Supercoat Puppy, so i thought i'd introduce just a small amount of that... WELL!!! Sloppy poos from here to kingdom come! YUCK. Now, i understand that a change of diet could cause this, but they were fed over 3/4 Purina and less than 1/4 Supercoat - i wouldn't have thought it would be so disastrous LOL. Anyway, yesterday i fed Purina as normal with titbits of other foods - nice formed poo's again, so it looks as if it was the Supercoat!

What has everyone elses experience been?

I often feed Eagle Pack (which the dogs just love), but when purchasing a puppy food for this litter and mum, the Eagle Pack was out of date, so i opted for Pro Plan, and as i said... very happy.

We fed the rescue puppies on Iams Puppy and after a few days (and of course after their worming), their poo's were fantastic :cry:

I remember feeding supercoat when my Tia was a pup (she is 9 this year), too long ago for me to remember what the result was, but must not of been that bad otherwise I would of stopped feeding...

The formula would of changed over the years also...

Sorry if I haven't been much help...

Mel

I have seen disasterous results from using most brands of puppy food.

What suits one litter, simply may not suit another.

If you find something that works for you stick to it, do not swap and change, it simply is not worth the mess and the setbacks for the puppies.

Personally I don't like the supercoat puppy, but others use it happily.

I feed raw and Eaglepack.

If you are looking for a more readily available puppy dry, try Optimum.

Edited by Nadia

My pup was on Supercoat as recommended by the breeder, but his poo were sluggish, runny. I switched him to Iam puppy and the poos have been nice and firm. Then I found out that Iams does animal testings on beagles... HOW DARE !! and now I switched him to Nutrience, and he has been on it since. No problems with his poos, so I'd say keep your pup away from Supercoat if you are having problems.

I feed my cavalier puppie "Advance". It was recommended by my local vet - she said that puppies love it and Coby seemed to take to it very well.

I also occasionaly feed him chicken necks and he goes crazy over them. So now its used for as a treat.

I have tried a few but always go back to Eukanuba Puppy food. Pups like it and poo is well-formed and doesn't stink too much!! Tried adult supercoat on my adult dogs but it had the same bowel effect others have mentioned with the puppy version. All are on Eukanuba now.

Pandora I fed pedigree puppy once in an emergency as it was all I was able to buy when I had left the other food at home & we were away, we had sloppy poos for days after even after I had changed back to our normal food.

I feed advance puppy to all our dogs but their basic diet is mainly made up of raw chicken products & vegies & boosted with pasta or dry food (advance)

Jacqui

Oh dear then.

Runny/sloppy poo's arent good right? What causes the runnyness/sloppyness (...), does the food just not agree with the puppy/dog?

Even though a certain dog food makes one puppy's poo sloppy/runny it doesnt mean that it will make another puppys poo's sloppy right?

Are there like the good brands of dog food and the not so good?

Eeek. Sorry. Im hijacking this thread.

Sorrrrry!!!

I have had litters on supercoat puppy , They have done very well, but i must say i have had other pups/dogs try it and the result got very runny!

It appears the pups who got this from 4 weeks were absolutely fine they thrived on it ....

But i have heard of dogs just not taking to particular foods...

Their mum was on iams puppy as she needed a highly digestable food after her c-section, she like many bitches vomited quite a lot after the op... she hated it and stopped eating all together

LOL Pandora, i think with dog kibble you really get what you pay for (in general). I'm very happy with the Purina Pro Plan, and also a big fan of Eagle Pack. With these brands as well, you don't have to feed as much of the food so they are more economical than they seem. Just be careful as well as some brands are complete foods meaning you really shouldn't add much to it, otherwise the diet will become unbalanced.

I have to say that i was disappointed with the Supercoat. I had raised a dog on this many, many years ago with no problems. I should probably let them get used to it slowly, but i hate to see pups with diarrhea, and they didn't have a lot of it in the first place! Probably is a case of a particular food just not agreeing with the pups,and the same food being fine for other's.

I just want to put my hand up as the "minority". I have personally not had problems with Supercoat Puppy OR Pedigree Puppy either now, or in the past.

My puppies are happy, healthy and worm-free with lovely coats and looking and acting as anybody would expect 7 week old puppies to.

I am on a strict budget (and I mean I probably LIVE on less per week than many people spend on their dogs alone) and cannot afford ANY of the "designer label" foods, no matter how good or supposedly cost effective they are!

I am a big believer in not paying for mink when polarfleece will do.

Hi Ellz,

I agree with you, and i certainly understand that my puppies will be going to families of differing budgets, so i don't want them to only be used to Purina Pro Plan which is reasonably expensive. I'd rather them get used to a variety of foods! I'm hoping to re-introduce the Supercoat but starting in even smaller quantities. I just don't want them dehydrated from diarrhea - kind of defeats the purpose LOL.

As i mentioned, i've also fed Supercoat in the past and had no problems. In fact i am using the puppy for my bitch now (well a bit here and there) and she is having no problems with it either, so it probably is a case of different foods suiting different individuals better.

I think sometimes it comes down to individual pups too - Gracie and Ruby are littermates, 16 wks, both had parvo and are fully recovered, but Gracie goes super slop if she has anything processed / commercial - even the Advance Large Breed Puppy or Hills Prescription Diet Canine i/d - whereas Ruby can digest most things.

It's lead to a rather quicker switch to BARF feeding than I had planned!

Edited by Mana