Tic

i just found a tic on my dogs snout.

i think it might have been there yesterday

but i didnt have a close look and thought it

was dirt. Today it is bigger and definitley

a tic. kind of dark greyish in colour.

she is well so I dont think its a nasty one.

should i take it out? how do i do it? or do

i need to get a vet to do it? (hate to pay

$38 for something i might be able to

do myself :kissbetter: )

really appreciate some advice.

thanks

get a cuetip dip it in Kero and wipe on the tick it will back out fall off and die...wether or not its a little bush tick or a paralysis tick or even a jungle tick get it off your dog .

EDit: to ad i ripped this off the net for you cause i noticed you're in Melb...

Ticks

The paralysis tick is not seen in Melbourne. However if you and your pet are planning to head east of Lakes Entrance and along the East Coast, you are in paralysis tick country! These ticks can kill your dog and cat and therefore you must check your animals coat everyday. This involves running your fingers through the entire coat. Dont forget to remove your pets collar to check the neck area as well as looking in ears. Do not rely on spray and other agents to keep your animal tick free.

If you do find a tick, it is best to spray the tick with a pyrethrum spray (in dogs you can also use pyrethroids) which will kill the tick. The dead tick will then fall off at its leisure. The effects of the paralysis tick may be seen up to 24 hours after the tick has been killed and you need to check your pet for signs of weakness. This will first affect the hind legs of your animal so if you notice difficulty getting up or wobbly hind legs you must see a vet. This is also important even if you have been unable to locate a tick.

http://www.petdoctor.com.au/2005/05/23/a-f...-weather-pooch/

Kero's the best stuff i know for getting ticks off any animal including pple,i dont know if a lot of pple have a pyrethrum spray in there household but keros pretty common.

Edited by Sirmonsta

I used to pull ticks of the dogs, cats and horses every day when i worked in Sydney. Just use a pair of tweezers and be sure to remove the head. If paralysis ticks are prevalent in your area I would consider a vet check seeing as the tick has been there awhile.

thanks everyone

i pullled the tick off making sure it all came out.

i've kept it in a container to show the vet

and my dog seems perfectly normal.

thanks for your advice and the next time

i'm at the vet i'll let you know what

they say.

thanks again!

better to see the vet. Paralysis is not common but I saw a case in Ballarat when I worked at the clinic there. Suprise to everyone. Infections can set if from the entry point so maybe a dose of antibiotics just in case. Sometimes it can take a few days for the symptoms to start and then it can just hit. I'd rather pay $50 now then $500 later.

The effect of paralysis ticks can take up to 3 days to show symptoms - why don't you just pop into your vet with the tick and ask them to identify it - I doubt they'd charge you for that, and you will then either have peace of mind or can whip you dog straight in if it's a nasty.

Glad you have taken it off and good to know that you got it all.

All the removal methods described are fine and the follow up, ie vet, is a good idea.

Disposal of the tic itself should also be done carefully. DO NOT squash or burn them as the explosive nature of this type of disposal will spread eggs (in the case of a female) all over the place. A container with a small amount of water is a good means of disposal, they drown quite quickly and can then be disposed via the drains or sewers.

Good luck,

DO NOT squash or burn them as the explosive nature of this type of disposal will spread eggs (in the case of a female) all over the place.

:) Oooooo, I didnt know this, I always squash the suckers. Will be sure to drown them instead! Thanks for that :thumbsup:

i found a tic on one of my parents dogs, in the S/E subs of Melbourne, i'd never seen one in real life before, or heard of any in our area. It was scary, knowing that it is possible for any dog to get them no matter where. Since then, the tick was removed and the dog gets checked every day.

I didn't know that you shouldn't squash them either, but at least now i can say i know how to kill a tic the right way!

We get ticks EVERY DAY :shrug: Terrible where we live. I do know the difference now between a cattle tick and a paralysis tick but it took a while.

First time one of the dogs got a tick, I panicked, raced for the vet who nearly fell over laughing at me - not mean, just a bit of a pay out :rofl: They are so common around here and the vet only ever sees dogs who are paralysed. Bottom line is, if they're not exhibiting symptoms, it's not worth wasting your money on a vet.

Just pull off the tick. We use to squish them but now we just feed them straight back to the dogs

:) (I just know that's going to freak you all out!!)

Seems there's some sort of theory that it gives your dogs some immunity and the old farmers out here swear by it. Don't know if it's true or if there have been any studies about it but the farmers noticed that the dogs who were never affected by ticks, would pull the ticks off themselves and eat them.

If you think about the way tick serum is made, it kind of makes sense.

If your dog starts throwing up, especially the yellowish bile, if it seems disorientated, if there's any sign of any paralysis - straight to the vet. Incidently, the paralysis starts at the back legs first in 99% of cases.

Don't panic. Just observe your dog and in future certainly don't leave it on the dog to watch it grow overnight :laugh:

just thought i would update.

the vet said it was a bush tic

so not dangerous. she said to

remove any in future with metho

and drown them in it.

the vet said from bairnsdale and any

further east you have to be careful

of paralysis tics but you dont get them

around melbourne.

some info for fellow victorians.

thanks again everyone for the advice.