Yay For Nature's Gift!

jayess

Well, when I went shopping tonight I noticed the Nature's Gift brand have now brought out the the mini square foil packs of their food (sorta like how My Dog and Divine package their products) and I was stoked! A whole new range of flavours too - yay!

Jayess,

We were fortunate enough to have a walk through the Nature's Gift factory and saw exactly what goes into the food and i can assure you that it's only fresh meat, vegies and rice etc goes into those cans. None of that nasty offal or by-product as many of the others have.

The owners of NG were very obliging and it was refreshing to see a company that really cared about what went into the food. They are a small business competing with the big monsters out there and they are doing a wonderful job.

I use Natures Gift treats as a training food - is this the same company?

If so - they often have sticky-out bits, like feather-quills... for those of you who have been through the factory, is this because they're made of whole chickens, or cause they're bulked up with "by products" ie feathers?

Guest LittlePixie

I buy this stuff by the slab and the dogs love it. Even Tilly who will not normally stoop to eating anything that even vaguely resembles DOG food.

I use it to hide worming tablets in and feed it to them when I'm too tired/sick/lazy to fiddlefart around with the raw bones and vegies etc.

The rats like it too, but they get annoyed when it sticks to their paws (need to teach them to use a knife and fork).

If so - they often have sticky-out bits, like feather-quills... for those of you who have been through the factory, is this because they're made of whole chickens, or cause they're bulked up with "by products" ie feathers?

No, no by-products whatsoever. All I saw was fresh meat and chicken going into the big cookers. The chicken had the skin on so perhaps there were some feathers still stuck on.

Anyways, when your dog was once a wolf, he would eat the entire kill, guts, feathers and all!

No, no by-products whatsoever. All I saw was fresh meat and chicken going into the big cookers. The chicken had the skin on so perhaps there were some feathers still stuck on.

Hooray for that!

Bring on the nature's gift pellets as the harbinger of perfect obedience for my pack 'o hounds then!

I have no probs with chicky-bits as part and parcel of said pellets, it's only if they were bulker-uppers that I would take exception... though I doubt any of my three canines would.

he he LP... I though all well bred ratties were tabletrained before going to their "forever" homes... :)

Hey off topic, but did your rattie-ess "whelp"? (or whatever you call it?)

I'd love to know how it went...

Regards,

Ratlover in hibernation...

Jayess,

We were fortunate enough to have a walk through the Nature's Gift factory and saw exactly what goes into the food and i can assure you that it's only fresh meat, vegies and rice etc goes into those cans. None of that nasty offal or by-product as many of the others have.

The owners of NG were very obliging and it was refreshing to see a company that really cared about what went into the food. They are a small business competing with the big monsters out there and they are doing a wonderful job.

That's really excellent to know!

I was wondering exactly the same thing.

I also use them as training treats and one treat had a piece large enough to pull out of the treat it was either a nail of some sort :) or like you said quills.

It actually was at the DOL BBQ and a few of us examined it quite closely (FB + SOG) and all where at a total loss of what it could of been. :)

Would love to know what it is??????

My dogs have always loved the Nature's Gift treats - and now they make the 'kibble-like' stuff called "Tender Cuisine". a 1kg bag, with 10 individual packets inside. Great for measuring out just the right amount. They LOVE this - Teddy will usually turn his nose up at 'dry' food, unless it is liberally moistened with sardines :) but he wolfs the Nature's Gift stuff down. Jessie, of course, will eat anything that even vaguely resembles food, but she get a little extra wag in her tail when it's Nature's Gift. Great product!!!

That's great news. Natures Gift tins are the only ones I buy as emergency back-up. It's the only tin I've seen that advertises no preservatives and no by-products. Would be nice if they got a little competition to bring the price down a little though.

Isn't the info you get on DOL fourms just great?

Hi Julie-anne! I buy mine from Woolies, in the dog tin section. In 3 different shops I have found these tins on the far left of all the tins. I can't remember if they're below waist height though... I'm sure all the supermarkets should have them.

Would be nice if they got a little competition to bring the price down a little though.

The price has nothing to do with the competition. The price is set by brand positioning. The product is seen as a premium product, so will be charged at a premium price. Don't ever think that grocery prices in supermarkets will ever drop any lower than what consumers are prepared to pay, regardless of competition and regardless of the actual cost of producing the product.

Same company as the canned food, different factory. The treats (straps) are made of meat by-product and caramel. Mmm smells good in that factory.

The other treats are made in another factory again. I am not sure what the latest treats are made from, but a few years ago they were made from by-products.

Treats are just that, treats. They are not intended to form a large part of a dog's diet. The canned food is very nutritious and a balanced diet, containing muscle meat, not whole chickens, and not by-product. But the treats are just like lollies for dogs.

I add my endorsement to the Natures Gift canned food. It smells appealing. Looks nice and isn't mostly water or "jelly" filling.

My puppies like it and it hasn't given them the runs.

:thumbsup: from me and I'm adding it to my puppy diet sheet as another "approved" alternative.