Bath Once A Week

Teebs

Heya everyone.

As some of you know Atlas, my Bull Terrier has just become a Delta dog, meaning he can visit nursing homes

I have to was him every fridays afternoon for our Saturday morning visits.

I noticed today that his skin is a bit flakey tonight after his bath (this is only the 4th week of doing it)

What shampoo should i be using? I have one that is an everyday shampoo for dogs.

Can i give him so vitimins to help him out?

If it gets too bad i will be pulling him out of the program, i am not going to risk his health for it.

Any advice? He loves visiting!!

Thanks

Cin

Once a week is a bit much - his natural oils are being stripped from his skin hence the flaking. You shouldn't wash more often than once a fortnight unless absolutely necessary (like rolling in something :) )!

Oatmeal-based shampoos are very good for the skin, as well as feeding a small can of sardines once a week - the oil give them a glossy coat!

Or you could try and cheat - you can but this stuff that you spray on which makes them smell nice (so you wouldn't have to bath him so often), and no-one would know the difference! :laugh:

Sorry don't know the name of it, a friend of mine is a dog groomer and I've seen her use it.

Goodluck and enjoy your visits!

I know I always say this but adding some omega oils in the form of fish, like sardines or even fish oil capsules will help with skin problems.

There is no harm in washing dogs weekly, I know various show dogs who are washed this often - as his skin is flakey you made need to make doubly sure you are rinsing him clean... then rinse him again :) and try a conditioner. Everyone here recommends Aloveen leave in conditioner - just rub it over his body like a hand moisturiser for yourself.

I'd also get a zoom groom brush when washing him to give him a good scrub.

Thanks guys

I was thinking of using that Dry Shampoo. I Will try the other ideas first, if it doenst get better i will cheat (shhhhhh...)

I hate doing it once a week, i only used to do him when his white neck was black :)

I know Bullies can get skin problems so i will keep a very close eye on him

Cin

Once a week is a bit much - his natural oils are being stripped from his skin hence the flaking. You shouldn't wash more often than once a fortnight unless absolutely necessary (like rolling in something :) )!

this really depends on what sort of shampoo you are using. We (the compagny I work for) have developped a shampoo that strips the coat just as much as plain water. so it does not matter wether the dog swims in te creek or gets a wash. I bath several dogs without any problems every week. Use an every day shampoo, herbal, or medicated shampoo.

Oatmeal-based shampoos are very good for the skin, as well as feeding a small can of sardines once a week - the oil give them a glossy coat!

This is true, also a raw egg once/twice a week will help

Or you could try and cheat - you can but this stuff that you spray on which makes them smell nice (so you wouldn't have to bath him so often), and no-one would know the difference! :laugh:

Just a doggy deodorant will do. Otherwise buy some lavender (calming down) aromatherapy, mix that in with some oil put some on a glove and wipe that over the dog. The oil makes the dog shine, the lavender gives it a nice smell

Mel

I have a mini Schnauzer who suffered for many years with skin conditions to the point of loosing most of the hair above his tail and alongside his flanks.. In the past couple of years this hasn't reoccurred. He is washed weekly as he doessuffer from flaking of the skin, recently a groomer suggested I rub baby oil into his skin. this has really helped!!! for the first couple of weeks he seemed to flake even more but as the dry skin flaked off it has not returned and his coat is so soft and shiny.

My suggestion is to wash your dog with an aloe vera shampoo do the Delta program and upon return rub some baby oil into his skin...

While not ideal to wash every week, I understand why you have to do it in relation to hospital visits and the like, so instead of using a shampoo, how about using a mild rinse of some sort. Something like the Fidos Herbal Rinse or the Plush Puppy Hydrobath Wash.

The main thing I think if you are washing so often is to make sure you put some of the moisture and oils back into the coat by conditioning it. Use a conditioner every time you shampoo for example. Check out some of the conditioning products such as PlushPuppy Reviva Coat or Plush Puppy Coat Rescue.

Dermcares Aloveen Shampoo and Leave in Conditioner is great! It's soap free and smells like coconuts. Made by a veterinary dermatologist, so very mild, no harsh additives etc. It's great for bull breeds who have a tendency towards dandruff. The conditioner acts as a barrier for the skin and soothes any dryness. It's also great for inbetween baths to "freshen" the dog up a bit.

I have a showing poodle, so he has to be bathed and blowdried before the show and then we have to wash out the hairspray so he is bathed twice every weekend. Never had a problem. We use Plush Puppy shampoo and conditioner and he loves his bath. :thumbsup:

I would also pay a bit more and go for the Aloveen- or Allergroom shampoo which is also soap free and doesn't strip the coat of it's oils.

Also a good rub down with a wet face washer would probably suffice, or some baby wipes?? Then you wouldn't need to bath every week.

You can actually create dermatitis by bathing too often...

Mel.

Thanks guys

I was thinking of using that Dry Shampoo. I Will try the other ideas first, if it doenst get better i will cheat (shhhhhh...)

I hate doing it once a week, i only used to do him when his white neck was black ;)

I know Bullies can get skin problems so i will keep a very close eye on him

Cin

the oatmeal shampoos might be better for him such as aloveen as previously recomended. they are brilliant for skin allergys my little girl had allergys and i find it a great shampoo... :thumbsup:

Our dogs are "washed" weekly but we just use Fido's Itch Free rinse in the hydrobath - they are clean and it doesn't seem to dry the skin out. But on the other hand we also give them omega 3 or sardines a few times a week.

When we do shampoo we use Fido's Puppy and Kitten (because I think it smells nice).

I have the Virbac, Allerderm - Resisoothe leave on skin conditioner. It's oatmeal based it does tend to leave little flecks of oatmeal on them but if you put it on then give them a coupe of hours to dry really well then a brush it works great. It is also a cleanser so you could probably do that instead of a bath.

None of the above worked for Godzy who had a very dry skin.

Some one on the breeders forum suggested Alph Kera Oil (for human) a squeeze in the last rinse.

Dog gone if it did not work. :rofl:

ETA: to add have you thought of baby wipes?

Edited by L.B.