How Much Do You Spend?

knobbles

I'm thinking of switching diets (mentioned it in my other recent topic)

What do you feed your dog, how much do they weigh, are they active or not, and how much per week/month does it cost you? (you can include treats if you wanna!)

I'll start off by saying I feed a mixture of barf and supercoat, and doggy biscuits etc.

I've got 3 big dogs here at the moment all over 25kilos, all quite active. Because I feed such a wide range of foods it's hard to tell exactly how much I spend but I reckon I spend about $200 a month at the moment. At LEAST. (Excluding worming tablets flea treatment etc)

This is just a vague guess though- I'm pretty bad with keeping track of my money! (Reciepts out-weigh money in my purse!) :(

roughly $7.50 per week for barf (premade patties)

I also have a bag of Supercoat sensitive which last me about 3 months as i don't feed it that often (not sure how much that cost)

Treats :( about $2-$3 per week i guess, i buy a biggish bag of dried lambs heart and a greenie every now and again. Bones could be included in here. Homebrand/coles brad tuna. sardines also included.

So you could say around $10 give or take a few dollars. Perhaps $15 Per week.

He is a small dog weighs about 8-10 (say 9)kg.. fairly active during the day (relaxes by night LOL)

I can't really help much as my dogs are all small (under 10kg's) so I can afford to spend up 'big' on them.

I would probably spend around $10 a week and I feed mince, eggs, pet milk, kibble (variable), sardines, veges, pasta, rice and yoghurt.

I don't feed treats.

I buy a 15kg bad of Advance Energy for my two huskies (that weigh 20-25kg each) at close to $100 a bag...lasts 2-3 weeks I think, I keep meaning to monitor how long it lasts but always forget!

I also give them chicken with their biscuits of a night time so that is around $18 a week.

Treats are from a pet supply store near my house and varies between $20 - $30 a week as they are all made on site, fresh, fat free and preservative free.

My uncle works in a butcher shop near me too so I buy two marrow bones and get them quartered plus a bag of offcuts which costs me $5.50 a week all up. I try to give them a fresh bone every morning as I head off to work.

Then there are all the extras they get simply coz I love them which I intentionally "forget" how much they cost me!

I've noticed how it all adds up especially when you get a second dog, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

I have four dogs weighing between 30/37 kgs. I feed Eagle Pack, meat, liver, eggs, canned fish, yoghurt, vegies, chicken wings/frames/necks, brisket bones, marrow bones and pigs ears. All the meat and bones are human grade. I probably spend about $70 a week on food, but I don't keep to a budget so I'm not 100% sure.

I'm currently feeding 5 poodles with a collective weight of around 32kg.

I'd estimate the cost as being around $35 per week.

Some meals like chicken legs are only around the $4 mark for the five dogs. Lamb is more expensive and the veggie mix is about $6 per meal.

I have a newfoundland who is about 50kg and as active as a newf can be :(

I have reciently changed her diet to the Dr Billinghurst pattties and give her a wide varitey of bones and that costs about $70 a fortnight.......

Before that she was on science diet large breed and that was about $130 o month

HI!

I love that pic at the bottom of your post :(

My two are only small Taco...6kg and Buckley...8kg.

They get BArf every second to third day so thats 1/3 patty for Taco and 2/3 for Buckley about $1.16 a patty and I-2 cups of Eukanuba everyday and thats about $1.78 a day. On the days they don't get barf they get a tin of Tuna is olive oil/springwater about $0.80 and about $1.50 on brisket bones

So all up a week $12.46 Eukanuba

$3.48 Barf

$2.40 Tuna

$1.50

Total $19.48 or $20. If the boys were any bigger It would be abit more. The dry food is the most expensive part but I have seen the good results from it!

Em

For the basics of a BARF diet for 3 dogs - 22kg, 25kg & 13kg for a fortnight:

Chicken carcasses (at $5/10kg) - $5 - 7

Veggies - $20 tops

mince chicken carcasses (to have with vegies) - $3 ($1p/kg, 1/2kg per vegie meal)

Lamb & Beef bones- $10 - 15

Fish - $3

Yoghurt- $2

eggs - $3

So for the basics it costs me about $55 per fortnight for 3 dogs. Now, add in the times I forget to defrost something and go and buy chicken wings (at least $2/kg and usually need 1.5kg) or FourLegs ($4 a packet). Then add the treats I buy - cabonossi, pigs/sheep ears, smackos etc. and you could probably double it :(

$60 per box (4 rolls) of patties - Minnie gets 1/2 pattie (she's approx 7kg) per night so that last about 80 days. - $0.75 per day

Bag of brisket bones = approx 15 bones for $2.50 and 2kg of chicken necks (I think there was 29 in the last lot) for $3 - 3 per day on the days she doesn't get brisket - say 10 days... - average $0.22 per day

So for actual feeding - $0.97 per day.

Pigs ears - $15 for 10 - she gets about 2 - 3 per week so 10 would last her about a month - say $0.50 per day averaged out.

Various treats - probably about $3 per week - she usually gets a bit of devon or ham or cheese - pretty much whatever I have around anyway. I bought some packet treats tonight that were $3 and these will last her at least 2 weeks - longer if I mix it with the other treats mentioned above. On average say 0.50 per day in treats

Total - $1.97 per day...

damn, that's cheaper than I thought!!

I spend about $50 a month for my GSD, so if it were 3 dogs that'd be $150 a month. Jyra weighs about 30-32kg.

I buy beef soup bones, boiling chickens, pork spines, lamb neck, ox cheek, ox heart, lamb heart, ox tongue, pet quality kangaroo/beef, Organ meat consisting of: liver, kidneys, brains, giblets.

Hmmm. I've enver added it up, as their food is bought at the same time as hooman food, so it's not really important to me how much it is, but I'm curious now!

Big bag of Science Diet puppy (15 or 20kg - not sure) for $67 - this is breakfast.

12kg of chicken wings from Lenards - $30

bones at about $2kg

6 pack of sardines/pilchards/tuna/mackerel whatever - about $1.50-$2 a can

home made barf patties - who knows?

Ah, it's all too hard! Actually I don't want to know now - everything is more expensive here :confused:

I have a Rotti X (7 months) and a Rotti pup (15 weeks)

Tyson gets about 1 hour of walking plus games and training everyday

Puppy gets cuddles and some training/walking

25 chicken carceses- $5

5 Kilos chicken mince pet- $4

5 kilos beef mince pet - $4

Supermarket bag lamb bones -$2

2 marrow bones cut into 4- $3

Fruit and vegies -$15

Eggs and Yogurt $5

Fresh fish $0 ( I Love Fishing)

Vitamin supplements $7

+ table scaps from 4 children

This does me about 4 weeks = $45

So about $10 a week

I have a regular order at butchers and chicken shop with mum and I, this allows for discount

But am cutting back what I feed Tyson is getting a bit podgey.

I have two Shar Pei 1 x 22kg 1 x 24kg, 1 maltese x 8.6kg and 1 x Japanese Chin 3.1kg

This is a three weekly rooster

I buy 8kg bag Advance Turkey and Rice $42.50 every three weeks

25kg chicken mince $15.00

6kg chicken necks $12.00

6kg chicken pieces and carcass $12.00

6kg butcher bones $12.00

fruit and vege $10.00

pasta and rice $3.00

eggs $2.00

treats $10.00

tuna, salmon, fish $15.00

Total $133.50

equals $44.50 per week to feed 57.7 kgs of dog

Shit better not let OH see this.

I buy a bag of Supercoat ($35) for the 38-kg dog and a bag of SD Skin ($100) for the 34-kg dog (per month). Never counted meat, bones, eggs, vegies or treats... just add sometimes. Maybe another $50.

Edited by Koza

Currently only 3 large dogs. Low metabolic rates so food intake is about that of a medium dog.

Average fortnightly basics shop:

6 lamb necks, a couple of bags of beef brisket bones (at $5 each) and a few bags of mixed (mostly lamb) bones ($3 each) and whatever else he has such as beef backbones - usual bill about $25 from my 'tame' butcher :confused:

2 10kg boxes of chicken frames ($8 each) from the chicken place - total $16

About 4 rabbits (cut up) from the pet food supplier (a bit under $5 each) is under $10

Trays of kidney, heart and liver from Woolies on markdown at around $2 each on average - lets say $10 (the cats get some too so may be less)

Total is around $61 to feed 3 dogs :confused:

I sometimes buy other bits and pieces on an opportunity basis which may be more expensive, so I would say the average bill is around $70 to $80 per fortnight.

Dobe 36-37 kg

He eats about 1kg of food a day, a bit more lets say 1.2kg

Chicken carcesses once a week - not more than $1

Chicken wings once - twice a week $5 max

lamb/beef bones twice a week $5max

fish once a week $3

mince and veg once twice a week - max $5

Plus missing link, liver, etc - I think its all up about $20

Plus some vitamins, fish oil capsules etc.

if I go splashing the money around I get scottys rolls $6.50 each he will eat it in 2 days.