Anyone Had Their Dog On Clomicalm?

Clomicalm should really only be used in conjunction with a Vet AND a Vet Behaviourist.

It is not a permanent solution, it is a means to an end, whilst the dog is more manageable, a behaviour program should be implemented by an expert so that when the dog is eventually weaned off it, it has a set of new skills and better behaviour.

Clomicalm doesn't work for all dogs, that's why you need a Vet Behaviourist to give you a set of guidelines to follow to assess it's effectiveness.

Vet Behaviourists lectures that I have attended have also stated that Clomicalm is not the 'be all and end all' drug, and many of them use a combination of Valium and other types of Prozac, often getting a much better result.

Clomicalm does have side-effects and contra-indications.

There is no way out of a dogs behaviour problems using Clomicalm alone, if you are not doing an intensive behaviour program- take away the Clomicalm and the dog will be back to what it was originally.

As other people have stated in your other threads- you need to get some expert help.

Mel.

Edited by StaffordsRule

:rofl: I have used it and wouldnt hesitate to recommend it or use it again..

I have a GSD with slight OCD well he DID have it.. He chased his tail really bad and stripped the hair off it. We put him on clomicalm, and he has NEVER been obsessive about his tail since. Now and then he will have a relapse and we just put him on it for a week or so.. But it is never as serious.

Its great stuff

I used it and did not find it to be all that special. I did notice a mild change, just taking the edge of my dog's anxiety. What made the most difference apart from socialization and desensitisation was a natural diet and supplements, DAP and a bach flower remedy in that order. Recent information from a veterinary behaviourist is that prozac is much more effective than clomicalm in most cases.

My friend used it on her cat it stopped it from compulsive piddling on everything and generally slowed her down. She is off it at the moment but puts her back on it when she starts to get too much. She swears by the stuff.

As other people have stated in your other threads- you need to get some expert help.

Yep, that's what i'm doing.

I have contacted a Vet Behaviouralist and i'm waiting for her to ring me back to have a chat, then I have forms to fill out and make an appt.

If a dog has OCD.... Clomicalm (in conjunction with a re-training programme) has proven to be very effective but it also takes a few weeks to reach levels in the body/reach peak effectiveness, so patience is also needed.

If a dog is merely badly behaved etc.... it isn't going to be at all effective.

I'm in the process of filling out my 25 page questionaire, so I should have an appt. either late this week or next week.

He is fed Supercoat dry and My Dog canned.

He really needs something that will take the edge of his anxiety and fear,

That what can exacerbate aggression issues? A natural diet or the clomicalm? I have heard that about some medications but not diet, except for old wives tales.

Colourings, flavourings and preservatives in pet foods can cause serious behavioural problems - just like when people have too many additives too.

Also, as you are feeding lots of raw bones there is much more chewing involved. Chewing increases serotonin levels in the brain, which moderates anxiety.

The B vitamins, magnesium and copper are great for stress also.

When you say he won't eat it, how long won't he eat it for? Try mixing a portion of mince with his normal food and gradually increase the mince and decrease the normal food. Don't pander to him, he won't starve himself to death. If he turns his nose up at what you offer, give him 10minutes and take it away. Feed nothing more until the next meal time.

Before I switched from supercoat, Loki would starve himself for days. It was normal for him to only eat 3 meals a week and he wouldn't take treats no matter what they were. I couldn't walk him everyday or he would lose too much weight. Now he eats anything he can. Eats out of the garbage, steals off the bench etc etc. He's actually almost overweight!

When Robert Holmes advised me to switch I thought it might make a small difference to his behaviour. WRONG! The difference was huge and it was obvious to everyone who saw him.

Try changing the food over from old supercoat / my dog diet to fresh meat like Haven suggests and if you really want to feed a dry food because you feel he'd be more likely to eat it then have a look at a more natural based recipe, eg. Innova. Avoid anything with by-products, colourings, flavourings, sugar, etc. Purchase food that has an actual meat as the first ingredient, ie. chicken, turkey, lamb and vegetables. None of this "meat and/or meat by-products" garbage.