Urgent Advice Needed

Friend just contacted me regarding their two puppies. They took them for a walk this morning both are unvaccinated one is wormed and flead as i treated it myself due to being a family memebers pet. one that is neither started to collapse. When they got home they noticed and empty packet of ratsack and think it has been ingested. I said to induce vomitting, encourage fluid intake but rush to vet immediately. Does this pup have a chance as I have a feeling this so called person wont take it, but my brother might as i told him to arrange to pay off the bill. Is there anything else they can do on their way to vet to increase survival chances??

Thanks in advance and no it isn't my dog.

Friend just contacted me regarding their two puppies. They took them for a walk this morning both are unvaccinated one is wormed and flead as i treated it myself due to being a family memebers pet.

Both should be vaccinated and NOT be taken on any walks until all 3 vacs have been administered. Parvo will kill them.

I said to induce vomitting, encourage fluid intake but rush to vet immediately.

Vet immediately is the only correct answer to your question.

Riles

Without an injection of Vitamin K, if the pup has ingested Ratsac, it will die. The main ingredient in Ratsac is cyanide. People have been known to suffer cyanide poisoning from being in contact with an affected pet.

Death throes will be prolonged and painful. Not a nice way for a dog (or rat) to die.

Edited by poodlefan

:D No hope of survival without urgent veterinary care...........

The pups will literally bleed to death................. can take 1 hour... can take 4 weeks..... but it will happen.

Edited by Puggles

I dont understand...

take dog to vet or dog slowly dies from having its insides turn to a bloody pulp

Not really something to think about ...

BTW allowing an animal to die a painful death while they stand by is a criminal offence if they are reported to the RSPCA. They are responsible for preventing animal suffering and any vet worth their weight will give the treatment and allow you to pay it off if you dont have the money. An animals life comes first.

Poodlefan there is no cyanide in Ratsak it is not allowed by law. Cyanide poisoning results in an animal suffocating as it cant transport oxygen around the body anymore. The main ingredient in Ratsak is Brodifacoum which works a bit like Warfarin (prevents prothrombin synthesis ie: no coagulation)

the MSDS is HERE

BTW allowing an animal to die a painful death while they stand by is a criminal offence if they are reported to the RSPCA. They are responsible for preventing animal suffering and any vet worth their weight will give the treatment and allow you to pay it off if you dont have the money. An animals life comes first.

I'd point this out to them when you are on the phone to them.

Riles

Nekhbet:

Poodlefan there is no cyanide in Ratsak it is not allowed by law. Cyanide poisoning results in an animal suffocating as it cant transport oxygen around the body anymore. The main ingredient in Ratsak is Brodifacoum which works a bit like Warfarin (prevents prothrombin synthesis ie: no coagulation)

Thanks. Got my info from an O/S website. Bloody internet. :D

Hope they took the dog to the vet..

Ratsack poisoning is not pretty.. they literally bleed to death slowly.

Also make sure it was Ratsack and not other similar products like Talon.. as Talon has different chemicals in it as it is designed for rats who wont take Ratsack. The vet needs to know this.

I know what its like. Neighbour threw a bait to one of my dogs once..and had to go through the Vitamin K thing. Not cheap.

If anyone needs information about a product or ingredient then doing a search for an MSDS is the way to go (Material Safety Data Sheet) they exist for all chemicals. Actually good things to have, especially in the laundry and garage.

just type the name of the product/chemical (as on the packet) + MSDS

if you are using google (australia only search)

THIS is an online MSDS website, mainly for active ingredients then products.

Companies (such as Caltex, Yates, Orix etc) should provide MSDS for their products on their websites. If you're really lost email workcover (www.workcover.vic.gov.au)

hope this helps

Jules

ETA: if you work in a place with chemicals, including disinfectants and cleaners (includes vet clinics) MSDS must be supplied near them at all times and updated regularly. If you dont PRINT THEM OFF AND STICK THEM UP!! sorry I'm just a stickler for workplace safety :D

Edited by Nekhbet

Who the hell doesn't take their dog to the vet asap if they have swallowed a piosion???

Inducing vomiting? Wouldn't be reccomending anything like that without first calling to vet, sometimes it can do more harm than good.

Hope the dogs are ok.

Well I can't say for certain if they took the dog to the vet as after they contacted them they got rang and told not to come. I don't know. The dog has apparentally picked up so not sure if was taken or not but is doing fine at the moment. the ratsack was on the ledge of an open window so it may of blown into the yard and not been ingested. Haven't spoken to them since I took mum's dog to vet so hopefully they'll contact me and let me know but thankyou all for the advice it really helped to be able to tell them that.

Whilst I was a the vets last night ( getting more bloody Baytril) someone rang up & said they thought their dog had infact eaten rat sak.

It must have been a while after it had eaten it ???????????????

Vets advise was "It was too late to try to make it vomit, that has to been done pretty well straight away" & "To bring it in ASAP as it will more than likely bleed to death internally if left"

Why on earth would anyone even have to think twice before taking their "Beloved Pooch " to the vets STRAIGHT AWAY :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

Silverblue that does not surprise me one bit. Some people are absolute idiots when it comes to dogs, and any animal for that matter.

We get people ringing up all the time, usually on a Saturday afternoon as we are about to close and say "my dog has had bloody diarrhoea and vomitting for 5 days, do you think I need to bring it in? Can I have credit coz I have no money?"

These people are morons and should not be allowed to own animals.

Tha active ingredient in Ratsak is Warfarin. It depletes the Vitamin K store in the body and as people have correctly pointed out the pup will bleed to death if it is not taken to the vets. It will require weeks of vitamin K treatment by either daily injections or via a syrup.

I would give a 0 chance of survival if they dont take it to a vet.

I cant believe this. :D

If you think your dog has digested any Ratsak or Snail Pellets, the first think you should do is go straight to the vet.

The vet will induce vomiting by placing a small pellet (not sure what it is) inside the eyelid and the dog will bring up anything that is in the stomach.

Even if your not sure wether the dog did or did not eat any, at least you will be sure.

Ratsak is a slow and pain full death.

:) to those who dont think.