Which Dremel?

Norskgra

Unfortunately, my Elkhounds have black nails. Yesterday, while trying to cut them, I managed to cut a bit too far on one of my girls and blood poured out.

I seem to manage to draw a little blood each time I cut them especially with the girls because their nails grow so much faster than the boys.

I never draw blood with my white nailed Afghan.

I have decided now that I have to get a Dremel to save their poor saw paws.

I have seen professional nail ones for humans but I am unsure whether they would last with the dogs. I have looked at the hardware store and they had a couple of models.

What model do you use?

Thanks everypne.

I have a huge Bunnings not far from here. I will have a look at what they have.

I don't want to have to bandage my poor girls paw again to stop the bleeding! :shakehead: Although she did like the extra attention she got.

Edited by norskgra

Buy the best tool you can afford - it'll last much longer and do a much better job. I have a Ryobi multi-tool thingy and it's great! But Ruby, who I quicked on the weekend, won't let me near her with it. My GH Lilly is fine with it, and I've yet to try it on tiny dog, Molly. I reckon the noise would spook her though. :thumbsup:

My Dobes have black nails also and I have been using the dremel tool on their nails for years with great success.

Firstly I borrowed my Husband's Dremel from his workshop which worked well but then he wanted it back :thumbsup: Then I had a "cheapie" no-name brand which lasted only a year before it burnt out.... I have just recently got a cordless Dremel 800 (link below). It's great - so much better being cordless as well - gives you much more freedom and great for quick "touch ups" :hitself:

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod3187.htm

I use the sand paper ones. Mine has a cord but you can run it off batteries. I know heaps of people with this one and they all love it. Mel from Imoen came over and used hers on my guys once I saw how good it was I went and got one, I have 2 with all black nails and 2 dogs who hated having nails clipped and now they just sit there and let it be "dremeled" away

My daughter bought the cheaper one from Bunnings last night. I can't wait to try it as I only got through 3 nails on the weekend and gave up when there was so much blood. I have the other dogs to do as well.

The only problem now is that my elderly mother saw it and wants to use it on her hard toe nails as well! :confused:

I will think about getting a more expensive one if/when this one blows.

Have you had a go yet Norskgra?

Blasted black nails. I've cut the quick, too. What do you think of the mini hobby kit and engraver $15 at Bunnings? Have seen a Dremel for $89 at Mitre 10, but would only be using it for a mini poodle!

When you trim fur off the paws, it can look like a poodle's got talons, despite lots of walking on the road etc., plus trims at the groomer. Oscar occasionally jumps on my Mum who has paper-thin skin. Ouch! Even if they're trimmed, the nails can be left with sharp edges.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I had a go with it but they didn't like it and took off.

I am slowly trying to introduce them to it. Our girls nails are so long they scratch everytime they jump up for cuddles. It is going to take time to get them back to where they should be but I am going to get them used to it and they are going to love it!

:) Good luck. I found getting my dog used to me just handling his paws first helped alot- touching, moving, separating them etc. for <1 minute to start with. Oscar still isn't enthusiastic about shaving between his "toes". I get him onto a table, then into a cuddle/ headlock first, so he can't move and I can't hurt him accidentally.

Might be a bit more difficult to wrangle with a Norwegian Elkhound, though!

The girls are not too bad at wrangling, they only weigh about 18kg. The boys weigh about 24kg. The amount of kicking they do, I am sure they have more than 4 legs. They have been having their toes and feet touched since they were babies but they still don't like having their nails done. Sometimes I am lucky and can get to them when they are asleep otherwise I have to get my daughter to just about sit on them! :)