Vaccination Death

Reciently one of my pups was taken to the vet by there new owner.

He was given a C4 vaccine 9 hours later he died.

The pup was a 12 week old Healthy in all other respects Neapolitan Mastiff.

The vaccine was Fort Dodge Protec C4. Although the Vet denied that the vaccine caused the death, They could not explain the reason for the death.

The pup was resusiteted and survive another 5 Days before the vet put the pup down.

Has anybody had similar experience with vaccination.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your pup, but I thought there was always a slight risk with vaccinations, just like in humans. I too lost a pup to a vaccination but I still vaccinate, its about weighing up the odds. Unfortuately some puppies form the minority and react badly to a vaccination but that thought doesn't make it any easier for those of us that love them :thumbsup:

The poor puppy! Medical professionals almost never admit to the possibility of vaccines causing death or injury with dogs or kids - goes with the territory!

You only have to read some of these stories to see this...

Personal stories of vaccination experiences

When vaccinating puppies I always put them on vit c before and after to reduce injury. I never vaccinate them after their 2 puppy shots (9 and 13 weeks) and only ever use C3.

C4 has been used on my 2 current dogs at 12 & 16 weeks with no apparent problems. At 12 weeks the pups also had the Protech Bronchi Shield "squirt up the nose" vaccination, apart frpm some sneezing there were no apparent ill effects.

I was warned that some pups can feel a little off colour for a couple of days after the C4 though. With all the parvo around I just can't risk not vaccinating as I will be showing my pup.

So sorry to hear about your pup though, how awful :mad . Sorry to ask but was an autopsy done?

Regards,

Corine

I was warned that some pups can feel a little off colour for a couple of days after the C4 though. With all the parvo around I just can't risk not vaccinating as I will be showing my pup.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought C3 protects against parvo already??

, but I thought there was always a slight risk with vaccinations, just like in humans. I too lost a pup to a vaccination but I still vaccinate, its about weighing up the odds.

If i took my child to the doctor for a vacc and they died soon after. I would not just accept it and have another. Why should i just accept it with my dogs. If this is accouring

on a regular basis the should there higher standards set. I know that there are alturnative options such as CSL vaccines which i only use. Unfortunatly the new owner of the Neo did not.

If it is a single case then i accept this as an accident, if it is not a single case then question should be asked.

It is not about weighing up odds, its about remooving the bad eggs.

Guest LittlePixie

Puppies die from parvovirus on a much more regular basis than they die from vaccinations.

Single case or not.... that is a very simple "weighing up" of odds, and I know which odds I'd prefer to take my chances on.

Puppies die from parvovirus on a much more regular basis than they die from vaccinations.

Single case or not.... that is a very simple "weighing up" of odds, and I know which odds I'd prefer to take my chances on.

I SUPPORT THE VACCINATION OF DOGS!!!!!

But if there is a risk how big is the risk,how many pup are killed from bad or cheeper options. Are there lower risk vaccines.

My personal vet will not use The Fort Dodge C4 because of the adverse reaction

from this perticular vaccine and carrier.

There are other option eg CSL.

Exactly!

There IS and always has been a risk of pups having an adverse reaction to a vaccination. Sadly, VERY FEW pups will have an anaphylactic reaction (though usually occurs within 10mins of the vaccine being administered) but there is no way to tell which pup in a litter may react.

SEVERE adverse reactions are NOT a regular/common thing.... minor reactions such as swelling at the site, bit flat a couple of days later or, as is often the case with the KC vaccine... a very mild 'cold' may develop a week after vaccination.

Any and all deaths within 24hrs of vaccination SHOULD be reported to the vet AND the company making the vaccine (ie: Fort Dodge).

What symptoms were displayed by the pup post vaccination and as Fido asked... was an autopsy done?

Edited by Cordelia

, but I thought there was always a slight risk with vaccinations, just like in humans.  I too lost a pup to a vaccination but I still vaccinate, its about weighing up the odds. 

If i took my child to the doctor for a vacc and they died soon after. I would not just accept it and have another. Why should i just accept it with my dogs. If this is accouring

on a regular basis the should there higher standards set. I know that there are alturnative options such as CSL vaccines which i only use. Unfortunatly the new owner of the Neo did not.

If it is a single case then i accept this as an accident, if it is not a single case then question should be asked.

It is not about weighing up odds, its about remooving the bad eggs.

I didn't suggest that you "accept it and have another" nor did I say that if it were a regular occurance it was ok. I said there is a slight risk as always with vaccinations, minimal, like one in a million. By all means as questions and ensure that it wasn't a bad batch or something the Vet id wrong, but if you're going to ask about my experiences, I'd appreciate not receiving a rude reply when it is given.

ETA: if you were aware of and prefer alternatives to vaccinations why did you not pass on that information to the buyer of your pup?

Edited by haven

... was an autopsy done?

No an autopsy was not done , I breed the pup, I was not notified untill 2 daysafter the death. I ask the owners the had not got one done.

The Pup was in the care of the vet after it was revived and the vet could not explain the complication, and advised the owners of the pup that it was not caused by the Vaccine.

But cuold not explain what was causing the complications with the pup either, They advised the pup to be put down. I am waiting for the vets report.

I'm sorry for the loss, I've never experienced this with a dog but have had my 2 eldest react to their first immunisation.

My second child ended up in hospital, doing more research we didn't have our 3rd child vaccinated for most things. I know with children it's actually a lot more common then the public knows about. :mad

I know with children it's actually a lot more common then the public knows about. :mad

Sadly Tia - thats right and sadly its also right about animals.

Especially when so many cases of reactions go unreported - because either the owner doesnt know it was a reaction, the vet tells them it wasnt a reaction, or (as in my case) the vet tells the owner it is "normal" and "happens all the time, nothing to worry about". Well, Id have to say Im still worried dealing with allergies and health complications 3 years on.

Doesnt seem to be a "one in a million" thing to me - I know several people in Australia who's dogs have had severe reactions.

I would definately be checking whether the vet reported this to Fort Dodge. Im guessing that they didnt because they wont admit the death was caused by the vaccines.

And this is why the "statistics" are so unreliable.

Jen

I know with children it's actually a lot more common then the public knows about.  :mad

Sadly Tia - thats right and sadly its also right about animals.

Especially when so many cases of reactions go unreported - because either the owner doesnt know it was a reaction, the vet tells them it wasnt a reaction, or (as in my case) the vet tells the owner it is "normal" and "happens all the time, nothing to worry about". Well, Id have to say Im still worried dealing with allergies and health complications 3 years on.

Doesnt seem to be a "one in a million" thing to me - I know several people in Australia who's dogs have had severe reactions.

I would definately be checking whether the vet reported this to Fort Dodge. Im guessing that they didnt because they wont admit the death was caused by the vaccines.

And this is why the "statistics" are so unreliable.

Jen

Jen

I believe this what you say is right on the button. This is why i started this suject.

I to believe that there is a lot of unreported deaths directly or indirectly related to unsafe vaccines. I have since found many cases especially in large breeds that have

had pups vaccinate only to get parvo within days of vaccination. Some have lost several pups from the litters.

One of the common links seem to be Protec Vaccines from Fort Dodge.

I will be incontact with both the vet and Fort Dodge today.

If enough people jump up and down some thing has to give.

Happy nearly died from her vaccinations when she was pup, luckily for her we got her to the vet soon enugh to counteract the vaccines, I am not sure what it was the vet gave Happy, as my mom had to rush her to the vet while I was at school, but we always keep nosodes on hand to avoid reactions from their Parvo shots. although its tricky cuz you cant touch the things with your hands lol

but my moms boss who lives and owns a buisness on his farm propertie takes in dogs that people have abandend on the highway, the one, Buddy, a border collie X Collie died of vaccinosis last year :( she was such a sweetheart :mad

I have since found many cases especially in large breeds that have

had pups vaccinate only to get parvo within days of vaccination. Some have lost several pups from the litters.

Those pups would have already been incubating the disease.

Live Vaccine does not cause them to develop Parvo. If they are incubating the disease however, it can cause the disease to present itself quickly (not by boosting the disease itself but by lowering the threshold of immunity initially).

Parvac (CSL) is a safer vaccine and means the pups are only developing an immune response to one disease at a time instead of 3,4,5 or 7 depending on what is chosen. Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, we can't get a C2 seperately here to cover Distemper and Hepatitis and they don't make a killed vaccine for use in dogs for those diseases. (I wish they did though).

There are more reports of very small breeds having reactions to vaccines rather than larger breeds. Chihuahuas and Maltese being the most common as far as I am aware.

My second child ended up in hospital, doing more research we didn't have our 3rd child vaccinated for most things. I know with children it's actually a lot more common then the public knows about. 

The most common cause of severe reaction to vaccinations in children/babies is because they use egg protein as the base and a reaction to this is the issue, not the actual 'disease'.

Your 3rd child could possibly have been booked into hospital to be closely monitored to ensure immediate measures can be taken in case of a reaction.

I have seen kids die from Measles because they weren't vaccinated. I have also cared for kids who reacted violently to vaccinations....... but delving deeper into genetics, many of these kids also had other problems so the vaccine was not 'directly' responsible for causing the global disabilities they developed.

Like vaccinations in dogs, the public DO know there is a risk but most choose not only to protet their kids but to also protect the community in general.

Considering there are MILLIONS of dogs vaccinated every year....... the risk of severe reaction IS very small.

Vaccinated against Parvo...... your dog has a very small chance of reaction and possibly death. Don't vaccinate........ and when your pup gets Parvo (and if you live in a populated area, it will get it) ...... there is almost no hope for survival.

That's a much bigger risk.

My BC who is now 3yrs reacted to his C4 , he was ill for a few days and on a drip at the Vets.

Our Vet always says dogs are like kids, some react to the vaccinations some dont,

they prefer to only give the C3 for the early vaccinations unless specifically requested and usually only give the C4 at 16 weeks.

they seem to think that younger pups cant handle the C4 before their 16 week

vaccinations, which is probably right.

And if you get a Vet that mis-calculates the dosage for the age and size of the pup

well that could have deadly results.

they must accurately weigh the dogs each time they see the Vet, ours do as part of their records so it is updated automatically.

my baby BC is having his C4 tomorrow afternoon, he is 16 weeks, his Mum is also having her annual booster, I believe in vaccinating,

I have seen the results of dogs who are not, its a very sad and painful way to die, not to mention people who have lost whole litters to Parvo and that is just tragic.

Parvo can live in the soil for a couple of years, and if you get a wet Summer

it seems to bring it out of the woodwork. this current Summer has had a high rate

of Parvo.

Certain breeds are more prone to it as well, like Rotties and other large breeds.