Vaccination Death

And if you get a Vet that mis-calculates the dosage for the age and size of the pup

well that could have deadly results.

they must accurately weigh the dogs each time they see the Vet, ours do as part of their records so it is updated automatically.

Vaccines are not dosed by weight.

A 3kg dog recieves exactly the same vaccine as a 40 kg dog.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, although very uncommon, vaccinations can cause death in animals. However the risk of this occuring is VERY much lower than the risk of dying from the diseases that the vaccinations protect against (particularly parvo). That certainly isn't meant to suggest that situations in which it occurs are any less heartbreaking, but it is a risk.

As to the original poster, request that the vet report the death to the vaccine manufacturer and the APVMA.

The weight of an animal has no bearing on the amount of vaccine given. The vaccination dose is determined on the amount of antigen required to achieve an immune response and is the same for each individual in a given species.

Raddy, I'd suggest that you discuss your concerns with your vet when you take your pup in.

Edited by Rappie

after Happy near death from vaccinating we no longer vaccinate, with the expetion of Parvo, we will NEVER take a chance with Parvo.

we always request the breeder not to vaccinate our puppy, at 16 weeks they recvieve a Parvo shot, dead virus only, then for 10 days they are not allowed to set foot near strange dogs, and when the older dogs go near strange dogs, they are carried from the driveway(because it outside the gate) to the bathtub, where they get their feet scrubbed and disinfected, and the puppy is given colidial silver. we of coarse watch our own feet as well. its a hassle for the 10 days, but I know way to many people who's puppys have died of Parvo and we wont take the chance :mad

if people werent so damn greedy and sueing left right and centre for small, petty things, then liability would not be so bloody high and honest people in unfortunate circumstances like this may have a better chance of things being done right and knowing exactally what happend, instead of the people u trust, haveing to pussyfoot around to cover their backside...

vented. sorry!. Sorry to hear about the pup!.

Vaccine reactions are actually quite common, but most go unidentified.

Chemical reactions to things like spot ons etc. are also far more common that people think. A majority of them remain unreported though, so there is no incentive for the companies to change their formulas. These issues MUST be reported!!

I recommend reading:

The Vaccine Guide for Dogs and Cats

Shock to the System

Sorry for the pup in this case :mad

Dan

Edit: clarity

Edited by zayda_asher

Those pups would have already been incubating the disease.

Live Vaccine does not cause them to develop Parvo. Vaccinated against Parvo...... your dog has a very small chance of reaction and possibly death. Don't vaccinate........ and when your pup gets Parvo (and if you live in a populated area, it will get it) ...... there is almost no hope for survival.

That's a much bigger risk.

I suggest Jack you do some homework - Fort Dodge has already admitted both here and in the US that live culture vaccine can cause Parvo to develop (in fact they took certain products with live cultures off the US market because of the reported death rate) - I should know I have a puppy from one of the litters Canine Country is speaking about and have read all the information and research materials.

And for the record CC is not saying he won't vaccinate - like me he has significant qualms about Fort Dodge - as do the hundreds involved in class actions against the company in the US.

Edited by Pup's mum

"The most common cause of severe reaction to vaccinations in children/babies is because they use egg protein as the base and a reaction to this is the issue, not the actual 'disease'.

Your 3rd child could possibly have been booked into hospital to be closely monitored to ensure immediate measures can be taken in case of a reaction. "

Cordy, I know it's not the disease itself.

It's also very interesting that they have an adverse reaction clinic for children to go to when there's a worry about immunisation. It would indicate the numbers must be a lot higher then released, why else the need for such a thing?

In my research I spoke to them, the doctor admitted it was the vaccine that sent my son to hospital with irritation to the brain ( he now has learning problems and different forms of dyspraxia) and they could not guarentee that it wouldn't happen to our 3rd child and yet they still wanted her to be done. :mad As if.

It's a case of being damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It's something each parent or dog owner has to decide for themselves as they're the ones who live with the outcome.

Edited by Tia

I suggest Jack you do some homework - Fort Dodge has already admitted both here and in the US that live culture vaccine can cause Parvo to develop (in fact they took certain products with live cultures off the US market because of the reported death rate) - I should know I have a puppy from one of the litters Canine Country is speaking about and have read all the information and research materials.

And for the record CC is not saying he won't vaccinate - like me he has significant qualms about Fort Dodge - as do the hundreds involved in class actions against the company in the US.

That was exactly what I was just about to post Pup's Mum

Jen

I suggest Jack you do some homework - Fort Dodge has already admitted both here and in the US that live culture vaccine can cause Parvo to develop (in fact they took certain products with live cultures off the US market because of the reported death rate)

Fort Dodge recalled the ProHeart vaccine for Heartworm at some point but I can't find when they recalled their other vaccines. (not sayng they haven't... my vet doesn't use the Fort Dodge as they have seen a higher incidence of mild reactions to it.... they use "Companion").

Could you please provide a link to studies done (I mean actual scientific studies done by a Vet Lab, not just someones opinion or study done by a naturopath etc) where the parvo vaccine has been proven to cause clinical disease?

like me he has significant qualms about Fort Dodge - as do the hundreds involved in class actions against the company in the US.

And I wasn't disagreeing with having qualms about the companys specific vaccines either.

I wouldn't have my dogs or pups done with Fort Dodge either due to problems they have had in the past regarding their vaccine against heartworm and what my vet has seen with the C4 of theirs.

Could you please provide a link to studies done (I mean actual scientific studies done by a Vet Lab, not just someones opinion or study done by a naturopath etc) where the parvo vaccine has been proven to cause clinical disease?

Cordelia,

Catherine Diodati's book, which I gave the link to above, has all the scientific studies in it.

Dan

Thanks Dan but I don't intend to buy an entire book on the issue.

I would prefer the the information asap which is why I have asked for specific links to actual studies done and published on the net.

Are her studies published on the net at all??? (where I don't have to pay for the privilage of reading them).

Dammed if you do dammed if you dont vaccinate

Scenario The majority dont vaccinate their pets/ children What happens with those diseases ???? They will run rampant again and you may sadly loose those you love.

I am so sorry a few of you have lost loved ones and loved pups, but i am so afraid that if every one of us decided that vaccinations were not worth the risk it would be a very sick world.

Cheers

PS sure i do get worried with vaccines but i do weigh up the choice i have and decide to still vaccinate.

Edited to say: I would definately asking for a vet report and an autopsy too

Edited by nobul

I'm not at home Cordelia... When I get home I will have a look through some of my links and see what I can find.

Someone else my have some on hand :mad

What I have found in research is:

1) combining more than one disease together in a vaccine ups the risks: single disease vaccines are better

2) Modified - live, Live and recombinant vaccines all have their own issues: some worse than others

3) The Adjuvants they use to hold the Vac together are often worse than the vac itself

4) some breeds are more at risk, as are dogs with some conditions

5) There is a "chicken and egg" scenario for Allergic dogs: which caused which, possibly a bit of both... but allergic dogs are at high risk for vaccine reactions and having their allergies worsened by vaccine.

Dan

I find it very interesting that if vaccination reactions are "so rare" that there are at least 8 people in this thread alone who's dogs have had a reaction to their vaccination!

Reactions yes, but resulting in death? Against the millions of dogs that receive a yearly vaccinationeach year?

I'd still say the percentage was small.

As for Fort Dodge, if you don't trust them use diffrent products. I wouldn't vaccinate using their vaccines, people don't call em Fort Dodgey for nothing!

Like I said, if the vaccine was bad or the Vet was negligent then by all means follow it up, but if the pup was one of ther unfortunate few to have a reaction I don't see what there is you can or should do about it unless you choose not to vaccinate or to use different products.

Either way I'm sorry for the loss of this pup.

Hi Dan,

Thanks, that'd be great. :mad

1) combining more than one disease together in a vaccine ups the risks: single disease vaccines are better

I agree completely....... but apart from Parvo and the KC vaccs, the others aren't made to be given individually. I wish they were (as I recall reading somewhere... can't remember where though, that the Distemper vaccine give life long immunity?)

2) Modified - live, Live and recombinant vaccines all have their own issues: some worse than others

Agreed. Like any medication has it's negatives and positives. It's deciding which outweighs either side.

3) The Adjuvants they use to hold the Vac together are often worse than the vac itself

How and why?

4) some breeds are more at risk, as are dogs with some conditions

Definitely. Colours too..... Black and Tans are higher risk for some diseases and reactions to meds.

I agree completely....... but apart from Parvo and the KC vaccs, the others aren't made to be given individually. I wish they were (as I recall reading somewhere... can't remember where though, that the Distemper vaccine give life long immunity?)

Aparently in the US you can get them all separately... Distemper is also one high on the list for causing reactions.

How and why?

Because they are additives that are used for things like binding the product together, preserving the shelf life etc. So they are chemicals and preservatives, some quite nasty and not really intended for the use they are put to.

For example: Asher (blue boy in avatar) is extremely contact allergic to proplyene glycol which is used in a lot of products. Its a waxy carrier that helps preserve and hold a product together. Its even used to retain moisture in semi moist foods. It burns Asher severely and immediately we can't use anything with it. Even in dogs / people that aren't actually allergic it can cause burning with prolonged use. Asher has a lump on his neck that will never go away from where this was injected into him and he is chronically afraid of needles now.

Definitely. Colours too..... Black and Tans are higher risk for some diseases and reactions to meds.

Yes, and dilute colours too like Blue...

Dan

Edit to add a little more info.

Edited by zayda_asher