Something Wrong With My Puppy.

carlee

Help, there is something wrong with my puppy. Tonight he vomited twice and now when he walks around his back legs kinda give way or he walks sideways. We spent 15 minutes checking him all over for ticks, and found nothing except itchy looking red spots (kinda scabs), one on his belly and two under his leg. He walks fine for a while, then the back legs sort of collapse again.

He looks okay right now, and I took him outside to go to the toilet and he went, then wanted to play, his legs went a bit weird for about 5 seconds then he was fine. Now he is going to sleep. Seems to be breathing normal.

Has anybody witnessed something similar? Could he just be weak from vomiting and not feeling well???? We're 99% sure there are no ticks on him. He has been eating yellow flowers, if that might mean anything? I'm about to look up symtoms of poisoning and all that.

We have had him for a week and he is 9 weeks old (Springer spaniel), and an indoor puppy.

Sounds like a paralysis tick. Hope everything is ok. Sending positive vibes.

ETA:

Just want to say, that even a check is not ever foolproof. They can get them in their mouths attached to their gum, right down in their ears and also in their anus.

Edited by Dru

Could be a tick, could be the flowers he was eating were poisonous, could be any number of things.

Hind limb weakness and vomitting are very serious - go to the vet NOW. If your local vet is closed find an after hours one.

Hey, thanks for the advice. Good news, it was a false alarm. :D Phew!!!!

After I posted we waited for another 10 minutes. Trigger was asleep, but then my husband came into the room and Trigger stood up and walked/dragged himself round in a circle, and then collapsed again. My husband is very anti-spending too much money on pets. But when we saw Trigger like that, I was like, please we have to take him to the vet! I couldn't just watch him like that, I was so sad! I thought he was going to die for sure. Thank goodness my husband has fallen in love with Trigger too! So he rang the vet (I couldn't, too upset!) and we met him at the surgery. We prayed for little Trigger all the way!

When we got there Trigger was still unsteady, and wobbled on the scales. Then the vet and his final year Uni assistant checked him all over for ticks and gave him a complete examination and couldn't find anything wrong. He couldn't work it out. Then he put Trigger down on the floor, and guess what? Little Trigger was back to normal, running around sniffing everything, tail wagging. I couldn't believe it.

So the vet figures it was an unknown insect bite, or something :( , and gave Trigger an antihistamine injection. And he wants us to call him in the morning and let him know how Trigger is. He said it couldn't be a paralysis tick, cause once the symptoms start, they don't just go away like that.

So the good news is, Trigger is fine. $167 later!!!! But he is soooo worth every cent. I am so relieved he's okay. Thank goodness, our baby's not going to die. :hug:

Anyway, I'm going back in to keep an eye on him. Goodnight everyone!! Thanks again for your concern!

Edited by carlee

good news, I have an OH like that too but sometimes you just have to bat the eyelashes and get them to the vet :(

I know!! I gave him the quiet, submissive wife thing. "I know, you did say that we wouldn't spend money on vet stuff... you're right" Then quietly patting the dog, so sad... He knew I would be DEVASTATED if my first dog died a week after I got it!!!!! I knew he couldn't resist Trigger either.

It was awful tho. OH had a shower just before we left, so I was sitting next to Trigger, and I patted him and he didn't move but his little tail wagged.... How can you not do anything about that?????? Reminds me how much their lives depend on us. They are beautiful.

Trigger last week:

trigger5.jpg

I know!! I gave him the quiet, submissive wife thing. "I know, you did say that we wouldn't spend money on vet stuff... you're right" Then quietly patting the dog, so sad... He knew I would be DEVASTATED if my first dog died a week after I got it!!!!! I knew he couldn't resist Trigger either.

Oh my god Carlee, I hope for your poor dog's sake that he never gets sick again! If you weren't prepared to spend money on your dog you should never have gotten him. Dogs DO cost money, and regularly. Vaccinations, worm tablets etc etc.

I won't apologise if this sound harsh but I am worried about your dog growing up.

Glad everything is fine. Better a false alarm than a dead puppy. :)

Your dog's health and welfare shouldn't have to be negotiable. If your husband is going to quibble over bills, get pet health insurance.

Edited by poodlefan

Be careful that maybe the pup didnt bump himself on the back or near the spine. The swelling caused from a blow can push on the nerves and cause temporary paralysis.

Yes vets can be expensive but if that was your child dragging its legs around and not walking properly would you even think twice? There are things you can learn yourself like grooming, trimming nails, parasite control etc but never NEVER leave disease diagnosis or medicating up to yourselves. Dogs are not like humans, symptoms they show that we get can mean two completely different things. For some things you can cut corners and get for a better price but you only get one chance at your dogs health.

Plus ... remember this ... the longer you leave something the more expensive the eventual vet visit will be :) Nip it in the bud when you first notice something, especially in young or really old dogs.

just thought i would add - my 1 year old mini poodle has wobbly backlegs due to her hip dysplasia and brain ataxia (though that's mostly her front end problems). (she's had both since birth, so she's wobbled all her life). most times she'll walk and run properly, but now and then she'll sway and criss-cross her back legs until she's got it figured out, when she gets up or is walking around

if there seems to be any pain related to the hips, be sure to let your vet know next time :)