Rubbing Face Into Floor

eenimeeni

Hello everyone,

I have a one year old pommie x and sometimes she does this thing where she rubs her face into the carpet or grass. She can go on for ages if i don't stop her.

It's actually a funny sight because she's pushing herself with her hindlegs and her face is just rubbing against the floor.

Anyway, my question is, is this normal and is this an indication of any health problems?

Thanks!

How long has it been going on for?

I'd recommend going to visit your vet...the rubbing her face could be anything from her enjoying it to an eye lash growing the wrong way or something else in her eye/jaw/nose/ear/etc.

Griever does that after he eats or gets bathed.

I never figured out why. He will let me scratch him instead so I kinda figured he just needed a rub after eating.

It's annoying after bathing though, I have to chase him with a towel to stop him rubbing his face all over the carpet.

I hope it's nothing horrible! That said, he's over 4yrs now and has been doing it since he was little...

This can often be a sign of gum disease (gingivitis). Are her gums inflamed (even if only just above her teeth)?

Sometimes, after having eaten a bone, the gums can have been irritated - particularly if there already is gum disease present.

If you're not sure, I'd recommend a Vet check. Perhaps her teeth need cleaning.

My girl can't eat bones (long story ... won't go into it here) and is therefore prone to gingivitis. I brush her teeth (with proper dog paste and a finger brush) - every day if the gums are showing inflamation, or every other day when they've settled down.

Grievers gums are fine... he eats bones and his teeth are cleaner than they've been in years.

I seriously think its a cleaning thing or he just likes rubbing his lips and the side of his face after baths and eating.

Im pretty sure I asked the vet about grievers habit when he was a baby, but I cant for the life of me remember what was said.

Im taking him for a checkup in the next couple of weeks to get some new hardcore physio skills up my sleeves, ill ask the vet about the rubbing thing if I remember :thumbsup:

Grievers gums are fine... he eats bones and his teeth are cleaner than they've been in years.

:laugh:Good for you!

I read somewhere that this behaviour can also be where the dog is simply satisfied and/or enjoyed the eating activity. Can't remember the exact wording (I'm sure it expressed it better than I have here! :thumbsup: ) and I can't remember where I read it, so I can't attest to its accuracy or reliability.

Just (IMO) was better to post as a possible indication of something wrong - and investigate it first, rather than on the assumption that all is well. :rofl: Do check it with your Vet when you go there next ... but I agree that it could be just a grooming regime.

My sister had a dog that did this after eating wet food, such as meat and gravy, and after drinking. He would prefer to rub his face on the lounge or you, but after going mad on him he started doing it on the carpet instead :banghead: He didn't want to be dirty :worship:

could it be a pom thing?

Mums pom would do it after every bath. You would dry him with a towel, brush him, and then he would bolt into the living room and hallway and start scooting around like a little maniac with his bum in the air :banghead: he would be there for about half an hour wiping his fur so it sat straight while it dried. He would also snort and sneeze from vaccuuming all the dust at the same time :worship:

funny little bugger. Healthy as a horse, I never found any skin condition or irritation on his face or mouth, just did it after baths

Hehe that description of yours made me chuckle, Nekhbet :banghead:

When Griever was younger he used to do it after baths to the point where he actually rubbed a little of his lip skin raw. Now I chase him around with the towel after bathing and try not to let him squirm away. If I distract him for long enough he totally forgets about wanting to rub his face :(

The food reaction is less 'severe', he just rubs his face a little, stretches out some and rolls about like he's satisfied or something :worship:

My little terrierX Wally does this as well.

I have a throw rug on my couch and just as well as where he rubs his mooch it gets all dirty. I am always washing it. :banghead:

I always think that its him wiping his mouth after he has eaten.

Yep I have a dog here who has been diagnosed with allergic conjunctivitis, generally there is no discharge from the eyes at any time, but she will rub her face/eyes on the dog beds outside and in the grass.

Get a Vet to check out the eyes in general, and if they prescribe an eye medication then you will be able to tell if the behaviour is diminishing while she is having treatment.

Mel.