Hydrobaths - General Questions

I was just reading the thread on dog washing, and it has inspired me to ask about hydrobaths.

I wash my dogs and the fosters in my bath, and it causes me back problems (cause I'm such a weakie). I then sit them on my knee and dry them with the hairdryer :o My laundry tub is too small, so I dont have other options. I was wondering ....:

1. Do pet small dog owners have hydrobaths? Or are they more for people who show dogs, or have big or very hairy dogs?

2. What do they actually do? From past posts I gather that there are different functions depending on how much you pay?

3. Are they portable (can you move them around to say, store in the garage and bring out when you use them)?

4. Do you use them inside or outside?

5. And finally ...... how much are they :rolleyes: (this could be the killer question!)

Gail

Gail

Have a look at www.conmurrahydrobaths.com.au which gives a good description of each of their models.

It really would depend on how many dogs you do wash.

Mine sits on a cradle on wheels and can be manouvered around as needed. (as I am a mobile service)

I can work in a garage and just have the hose "piped" for outside draining.

What hydrobaths do is recirculate the water with a pump, the idea is that the dirt will settle to the bottom of the tank and you continue to wash the dog with the shampooy water - they also have an impressive jet of water to really get into the skin.

Some have two tanks so you can quickly use clean rinse water and most have a heating element in the tank to heat up the water too.

Honestly I don't think you'd need/want to pay for a hydrobath for your littlies as I find them really helpful with large double coated breed (Mals, huskys) , but I would look out for a laundry basket on wheels or some type of dog bath (available at the warehouse in Melb) where you can rig up some hot water to to help with your back :rolleyes:

1. Do pet small dog owners have hydrobaths? Or are they more for people who show dogs, or have big or very hairy dogs?

I have Pugs and Staffords and have a hydrobath

2. What do they actually do? From past posts I gather that there are different functions depending on how much you pay?

The basically pump the water through the hose attached to your bath under pressure, they allow you to wet the coat easily and provide a massaging affect. They are fantastic for stimulating the skin and also for a deep clean and rinse. Some have a heater function, two tanks for dirty and clean water, what you need will depend on what you would like it to do.

Mine for example, I use the hydrobath to wet and do the fianl rinse ( dual tank ). I wet the dog using the hydrobath, some of the dogs I will add shampoo to the water and pump it though the coat, others I will hand wash once wet. I then have a hose connected up that I rinse the dogs with to get rid of the bulk of the shampoo and then do the final rinse with the bath.

3. Are they portable (can you move them around to say, store in the garage and bring out when you use them)?

You can buy sets of wheels/ trolleys for them which enable you to move them around, they are not all that heavy.

Mine sits right outside the back door in the under cover area next to the laundry and hot water service.

4. Do you use them inside or outside?

I would recommend outside or in a garage or covered area, as you still get the dogs shaking and the smell of wet dog and hair every where.

5. And finally ...... how much are they  (this could be the killer question!)

The range from few hundred dollars second hand to a few thousand new, depending on what you want.

They are great for sore backs and you can build or buy a platform to fit in them and get those small dogs up to a height where you don't need to bend over.

Can I suggest using a DIY bath at a vets etc so you can at least have a go with one and see if you like it :rolleyes:

Honestly I don't think you'd need/want to pay for a hydrobath for your littlies

I agree. I dont use my hydrobath with Angus (swf) the pressure is just too hard for a little dog and it's noisy. Your back hurts just as much, although admittedly not as much as leaning over a bath tub.

I would have someone handy set up a section outside which gives you hot and cold taps. Ive seen some funny little plastic baths on wheels that are waist high. Something like this would be perfect perhaps, and a table for drying. I like my hydrobath because of the big dogs, but would be just as happy with hot and cold taps outside to wash them. I only bought one for work.

If you can't afford to buy a hydrobath (like me :o ), use a little ingenuity...

My back is stuffed as well - I have two long-hair showdogs....

I changed my bath spout to a showerhead - one of those flexible ones with a hose - I put a small sturdy table into the bath tub on a slip-proof bath mat. I bought an el cheapo 2nd hand baby bath and drilled holes in it all over the place (or you can use a large laundry basket).

The whole set up takes 2 minutes to get ready and is great for my bad back.

The only downside is that I do tend to splash a bit of water around and I quickly pull across the shower curatains if the dogs are going to shake :o

Also my girls are quite used to this treatment so they won't jump out of the tub/off the table :love:

It sounds primitive (and it certainly DOESN'T look professional) but it works a treat :rolleyes:

Hi Gail

I noticed that you are located in Canberra. I have been to Dog World there and seen their DIY area. I would suggest that you go and give them a try. You can see first hand how they work and decide if you want to buy one. The best part about a DIY salon is that you leave the mess behind.

Storm and Nicole from Dog World are very experienced and will help you get started. They have got inserts for little dogs too, that raise them up a bit higher to take the pressure off your back. There web site is Dog World

Cheers

just a little FYI - the Dog World DIY bays don't have hydrobaths, but large tubs with warm water and you're right about the inserts :rolleyes:

I changed my bath spout to a showerhead - one of those flexible ones with a hose - I put a small sturdy table into the bath tub on a slip-proof bath mat. I bought an el cheapo 2nd hand baby bath and drilled holes in it all over the place (or you can use a large laundry basket).
Ive seen some funny little plastic baths on wheels that are waist high. Something like this would be perfect perhaps, and a table for drying

Sounds ideal! and poodlefan recently made a post

I had my laundry renovated and installed the largest stainless steel tub I could find, with a top quality veggie spray tap and a small tastic as well. Washing the smaller dogs at bench height is certainly more comfortable

I have just purchased a twin tank , heated bath with castors & it cost me just over 2K :rolleyes: .

However I have seen some much smaller cheaper versions that you can set up in your yard, ( or anywhere really).

I seem to recall one of the Warehouse type places was selling them

I seem to recall one of the Warehouse type places was selling them

Yep, BMP, I've seen these at the Warehouse in Queanbeyan. I'm not sure what sort of functionality they have. They're probably just a raised plastic bath, really, but if can get someone to plumb hot AND cold water taps out in the garden I reckon you'd be in business.

I think they were selling for around the $150 mark?

I wash Jack in the bath on a non-slip mat with a hand-held shower rose and it works a treat until he shakes and covers the walls in fur! I've found a hydrobath is *much* better for getting that undercoat out. I just can't afford to get it done regularly :D

Thanks for the tips everyone. I *love* the DIY suggestions and will look at both getting hot water outside and using a table/flexi shower head on bath tap and see which I can do.

My back will love you :D

(cant speak for the dogs though - they are not fond of bathtime :eek: )

Sorry for the silly questions in the first place - i had no idea a hydrobath was so expensive :D

Hi Gail

If you are only going to be doing the little dogs, a babies bath on a picnic or bbq table outside will do the trick. You can just bucket warm water out to fill it up, and have another bucket there for rinsing when you have finished.

Then you can just lift them straight out of the baby bath onto a towel on the table and dry them there.

I either do mine in the bathtub inside, or use the baby bath outside. You can pick a baby bath up for next to nothing in the paper or at Trash and Treasure. You might even be able to get one that is built in to a change table, so it is already at a good height.

Cheers

Jo