Caprophagia

~Anne~

I also have to be careful that whatever I use for him doesn't affect the absorbtion or thereapy process of the drugs he is on for his epilepsy. As it is we alk a tight line trying to keep the seizures under control.

Depending on the type of medication your dog is on for epilepsy Thrive should be ok, talk to your vet as if it is a barbituate you may need to dose the Thrive at a different time of the day, but your vet will be able to advise you on this (they can contact us for further info if required :D )

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLP MEEEEEEEEEE PLEEEEEEEEEASE!!!

Sorry to rehash an old thread but I am now getting very desperate to stop this disgusting behaviour.

I spoke with my Vet and we have determined that Thrive is not warranted as Monte's issue is hunger and not an enzyme deficiency.

Basicaly being a Pug he is has a tendancey to be a glutton and on top of this he medication for his epilepsy increases this tendancy.

I have started using fresh pineapple on the advice that this will make his (and everyone elses) droppings distasteful....... but it hasn't worked.

Am I perhaps not using enough? I add approx a heaped teaspoon of freshly and finely chopped pineapple to his meals twice a day to his and to the other Pugs food. I haven't bothered to try adding to the cats yet as I do not think she will eat it.

Apart from picking them up (but I can't get to them quick enough as he eats them immediately), putting something like Tobasco sauce on them (if I am going to be quick enough to find one and do this to it I may as well just pick it up) I can only think of one other option but this one worries me...... and that is to put a muzle on him providing I can find one to suit a brachy face.

Does anyone have any more tried and tested sugggestions???

I have used the pineapple..no..don't give it to the cat..but the other dogs. I used it in a kennel situation, and it worked to some extent. Can't remember quantities, but a fair bit(much more than a teaspoon... .finely chopped.

Pumpkin is also supposed to work.

You could be vigilant and go round with a large pepper/chilipowder shaker.. liberally anointing each little bit :( The pepper up the nose should slow him down!

Milk of Magnesia, I would only use after consultation with a vet...it most likely contains a magnesium salt of some sort, which can affect all sorts of things, and may interact with medications!!!

Thanks Pers.... I have always given him pumpking as part of his diet so I guess I can rule that one out already.

Milk og Mag was already mentioned and someone said it was banned in Australia? Perhaps I should check with my vet on this one?

It's not the vigilance that is the problem it is the fact that before I realsie that one of them has been to the toilet he is already eating it! Plus, during the day they are outside while I am at work and so I would also miss these.

At night I have to put paper down as his conditon causes him to not be able to hold all night and every morning I find eveidence that he has done a number 2 and eaten it! Errrgggh....

Puggles, this is really difficult to live with isn't it? My disgusting foxy took off from the park in search of poo mountain on Sunday morning after a bath.

Not only did he find a pile to eat but roll in too, it was all round his head and neck and hanging off his collar so needed another bath. NOT HAPPY!

After reading your post, he ain't so bad ....

Puggles, this is really difficult to live with isn't it? My disgusting foxy took off from the park in search of poo mountain on Sunday morning after a bath.

Not only did he find a pile to eat but roll in too, it was all round his head and neck and hanging off his collar so needed another bath. NOT HAPPY!

After reading your post, he ain't so bad ....

Thankfully mine doesn't want to roll in it but he stinks of it still all the time! It is sooooo sickening.... he also has a strange licking fetish and licks my legs, clothes or whatever part of me he can get to. This too is amplified becuase of the drugs and the thought that he has just eaten poo then ciome inside to lick me grosses me out... I already have mild OCD that is germ and dirt related and this dosen't help!

I havent read all the posts....so I shall advise what I have done with Max.

We tried crushed pineapple on top of his food. This worked for a few mths and then he resorted to eating his poo again.

We also tried Apple Cider Vinegar on top of his food and some in his water...again it worked for a while and then back to old habits.

Thrive D has been the only thing that works for us.

You mentioned that the vet said that Thrive is not warranted as Monte's issue is hunger and not an enzyme deficiency..... Wouldnt it be worth a try anyhow as it may still fix the problem?! I would HIGHLY recommend giving it a whirl.

If you want any more info you know where to find me :(

If you want any more info you know where to find me :)

:( I see someones been talking......

Edited to add - yes, perhaps you are right. Perhaps I should give the Thrive a whirl. Afterall what can it hurt apart from spending a few more dollars on him... in for a penny- in for a pound as they say.

Edited by Puggles

What you talking about willis? :(

Seriously I would definitely give it a shot. I wish someone had of advised me about it earlier. It cos us $25 (ish) from Robbo's Pet Barn I think for a container. It costs more from the vet so if you can try elsewhere first.

We just pop a teaspoon full over the top of Max's dinner and voila - done deal. I think from memory it took less than a week to take effect. :)

JMHO but I feel that Thrive D might help by allowing your dog to absorb all the nutrients in his food. I use digestive enzymes on my old dog's food and it makes a difference to her in regards to keeping weight on her and just generally how she absorbs her food. If all his nutrient needs are met then perhaps the poo eating might stop.

JMHO but I feel that Thrive D might help by allowing your dog to absorb all the nutrients in his food. I use digestive enzymes on my old dog's food and it makes a difference to her in regards to keeping weight on her and just generally how she absorbs her food. If all his nutrient needs are met then perhaps the poo eating might stop.

However, Monte is not eating his poo because he has an enzyme deficiency...... he is eating it because he is a Pig... I mean a Pug. :( He is on heavy medication for epilepsy which increases his already large apetite. Also - he is already overwieght because of his condition so he certainly doesn't need to put on weight... if anything he needs to drop about 1.5kilos.

Poo is not the only odd thing he eats, it is just the most disgusting thing he eats though. He also eats rocks, twigs and in fact anything on the ground that he can hoover. He has a particular penchant for gum nuts and for grass and even mushrooms (growing in the backyard). We try to monitor him as much as possible and we remove whatever is possible that he may ingest but apart from him living in a sterile cage for the rest of his life there isn't much I can do about the majority of it and it looks like this may be the case with his caprophagia.

EFTypos

Edited by Puggles

Puggles,

Horrid activity isnt ithere is an extract from : Healthy Dogs: A handbook of natural Therapies author Dr Barbara Fougere ( my holistic vet LOL)

" The only time when faeces eating is normla is when a bitch eats her puppies waste. It can be a behavioural problem, or a symptom of pancreatic insufficiency, malabsorption, worms, diabetes or other problems. If an underlying cause cannot be found here are a few options:

1. It is possible that your dogs digestive system is not coping well with his currrent diet. You may need to switch to a meat baseddry food, or homemade diet and add dietary enzymes ( especially if the pancreas is involved). papain is useful. An improvement should be seen within seven days to two weeks as your dog adjusts. The stool eating should resolve. If this is not effective try the Bowel Detoxification Program.

2. try distracting your dog. Keep him on harnass or leash and when you see him head for his target, redirect him.

3. Coprophagy might also be associated with adrenal gland depletion due to stress. ( epilepsy is a stress inducing illness, and the meds can impact on liver enzymes.

Barbara does do telephone consults if you are not in Sydney and I would recommend a consult with her. She is excellent

Hehehehehehehe!! Too funny!! I too had an incident with my staffy, Angus once where he ate the poo fresh out of my other dog, Ruby's anus. It didnt even get the chance to touch the ground and was still steaming!!! Funniest thing to see too. One dog in the 'kangaroo squat' position and the other looking like it was eating the contents of a 'mr whippy' ice cream tap!!!

I am SURE someone on DOL suggested an indeficiency in this case, but in your case I would presume this wont help as it is due to the meds he is on.

Will do a search nonetheless and let you know once I find it...

Thanks Di!

I actually have the link that was mentioned there.... I think that is possibly where I got it from too.

I have tried altering his behaviour but it is difficult. He is very much like your dog where he hovers and waits while the other lad does the job and you can see the glee in his eyes - eeeerrrrk! If he misses the even he sniffs them out.

I have increased the amount of pineapple but it still doesn't appear to be working.

I am thinking I may have to attack it on a mulit pronged front. Behaviour managment, restricted movements outside and, addiditves in his food (pineapple or perhaps something that Barbara has written of) and with some luck, the Neuro will advise lowering or altering his meds which I feel will greatly alleviate this behaviour.

Thanks again for yur help with this.... icky dilema :o