Ollie Dog

Staffyluv

I always read the updates on Ollie dog, but never post. So just thought I'd say what an amazing boy I think he is & congratulate you on taking care of him so well. He's one lucky boy. :D

Goodluck with his surgery. I hope he recovers quickly & is as good as new once he's healed. :thumbsup:

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys.

I must admit, I am worried sick this time - he will be 11 years old in June and I am worried about the effects of the operation on and old boy like him...

I just keep telling myself I am doing the right thing and I have spoken to the vet and they are confident that he will be fine because he is so well at the moment.

Peibe and lillysmum I'm not trying to argue with you but if you had a dog with cancer and an infection could kill them. The vets told you NOT to take them to the park would you take you own advice and take your dogs out knowing it might kill them? For the sake of quality of life?

Cavnrott

My Pei bitch has Systemic Lupus, she cannot be vaccinated, is prone to infections and has been through Chemo too, now under a naturalpath she is stable

I locked her up, did not take her anywhere, refused to walk her, I was too scared I would loose her, she is my heart dog

But she was miserable, she was listless and she was not fighting anymore to live, she lost 8.2kg in 2 months

I started walking her again around my block and she picked up

I am terrified that she will get an infection and die, every time I walk her and see her happy smiling face I know I am doing what is right for her, not what is right for me

SL, sorry to hear about poor Ollie

Zephyr had his cruciate done in his right back leg February 07, it was 6 months of slight exercise and lots of swimming before he was back to normal

I hope all goes well for Ollie Dog

Peibe and lillysmum I'm not trying to argue with you but if you had a dog with cancer and an infection could kill them. The vets told you NOT to take them to the park would you take you own advice and take your dogs out knowing it might kill them? For the sake of quality of life?

Cavnrott

My Pei bitch has Systemic Lupus, she cannot be vaccinated, is prone to infections and has been through Chemo too, now under a naturalpath she is stable

I locked her up, did not take her anywhere, refused to walk her, I was too scared I would loose her, she is my heart dog

But she was miserable, she was listless and she was not fighting anymore to live, she lost 8.2kg in 2 months

I am terrified that she will get an infection and die, every time I walk her and see her happy smiling face I know I am doing what is right for her, not what is right for me

SL, sorry to hear about poor Ollie

Zephyr had his cruciate done in his right back leg February 07, it was 6 months of slight exercise and lots of swimming before he was back to normal

I hope all goes well for Ollie Dog

This is my dilemma... I have always walked him and now that he can't (because of the ligament injury), he is going nuts. He hates being locked up more than anything. He just lays at the front door and stares outside - it is absolutely breaking my heart. He looks so sad.

I called the vet and asked if we could take him for a small walk - was told it is not really advisable but he could go for a small sniff around, if he really needs too.. He does not go for surgery until Tuesday so OH and I are going to take him to the park to just have a sit and a small sniff around, no running around, on the weekend. He always goes on lead, so it should be OK for a little while. I am also going to take him on Monday morning and Tuesday before he goes in for surgery because he won't get to go for ages after the surgery.

I am going to buy an cheap play pen and keep him in that after the surgery, so he does not move around - we will just have to listen to him complain (which he is really good at)...

Thanks heaps for all the well wishes, I am feeling more confident about it all after a chat with the vet and reading a bit on it... It is just another one of those road bumps that we keep coming across with our boy... But we have managed to clear all the ones before this one and we will clear this one as well...

Cheers

Jodie

Cavnrott

Piebe if my dog was stable I would walk her but she is far from stable. She is neither depressed or miserable at not having walks. She gets plenty of one on one attention. She's happy with short games of fetch and playing with the other dogs. She's gained 4.3kg in 3 months so no weight loss.

She has full freedom of the house and yard as usual.

Sophie's on a new trial of a multiple drug regime which includes one chemo drug every 48 hours. When she's no longer on this regime and when I'm advised it's safe to walk her then she'll be walked. My dog is under the care of an oncologist and I follow the advice given. The oncologist has a full understanding of the drugs she's prescribed and the effect they have on the immune system. I don't have this knowledge so I don't second guess the advice.

Sophie feels quite well. If she were to pick up an infection then she would not feel well at all. I want her to feel well for whatever time she has left.

As Jodie says, Ollie is desperate for his walks and pines to go out. It seems your dog is the same. If Sophie was depressed at not being walked we wouldn't continue with the drug trial. I want what is best for her.

Jodie, I wish Ollie all the best on Tuesday. This little bloke can do anything. He'll sail through this.

sending very bery positive thoughts and energy Ollies way...

are you sure that he has not managed to comceal a copy of a doggy health dictionary and is amusing himself working his way thru?

Hugs

helen

I am sure he is doing something - maybe that is it...

I actually asked the vet, is there anything else that he is likely to get? The answer was, I don't think there is anything else he can get... I certainly hope not - he has had his fair share of illness.

I am just glad that he picked me all those years ago - I am not sure how many people would actually keep forking out the dough that this lad has cost.

sending very bery positive thoughts and energy Ollies way...

are you sure that he has not managed to comceal a copy of a doggy health dictionary and is amusing himself working his way thru?

Hugs

helen

I am sure he is doing something - maybe that is it...

I actually asked the vet, is there anything else that he is likely to get? The answer was, I don't think there is anything else he can get... I certainly hope not - he has had his fair share of illness.

I am just glad that he picked me all those years ago - I am not sure how many people would actually keep forking out the dough that this lad has cost.

Jodie wishing Ollie dog the best for his coming op, hope it all goes well for him.

I think you were always destined to be together, you are like one :) Just think we would all be much richer dollar wise but the joy a dog can bring makes you the richest person on earth. :o

Just wanted to update.

Ollie has had a great weekend. He went to the park on Saturday and had a sniff around and did not pull up lame at all.

So Sunday, I decided to take him for a walk - just a couple of hundred metre and he did great (even standing on the injured leg while he peed on every vertical object he could see).

This morning we went for a walk again and he did not even look like he has an injury - so I have postponed his surgery.

I am going to give him a couple more weeks and see if resting and small walks can help him, instead of the surgery.

Like I said before, he is 11 in June and with everything else he has been through, I am not happy to do such a serious surgery unless it is really needed. His improvement over the weekend has been outstanding - my lad never ceases to amaze me (I just love him so much)...

I called the vet this morning and spoke with the one of the other vets and he agrees, that giving him another couple of weeks (that would be 6 weeks all up) to heal and see if we could do without it is a good idea.

He has a checkup due in two weeks anyway (full bloods etc) so they are going to reassess the situation then and we will decide if he really needs the operation.

I am so happy (and not feeling guilty anymore)

Cavnrott

Piebe if my dog was stable I would walk her but she is far from stable. She is neither depressed or miserable at not having walks. She gets plenty of one on one attention. She's happy with short games of fetch and playing with the other dogs. She's gained 4.3kg in 3 months so no weight loss.

She has full freedom of the house and yard as usual.

Sophie's on a new trial of a multiple drug regime which includes one chemo drug every 48 hours. When she's no longer on this regime and when I'm advised it's safe to walk her then she'll be walked. My dog is under the care of an oncologist and I follow the advice given. The oncologist has a full understanding of the drugs she's prescribed and the effect they have on the immune system. I don't have this knowledge so I don't second guess the advice.

Sophie feels quite well. If she were to pick up an infection then she would not feel well at all. I want her to feel well for whatever time she has left.

As Jodie says, Ollie is desperate for his walks and pines to go out. It seems your dog is the same. If Sophie was depressed at not being walked we wouldn't continue with the drug trial. I want what is best for her.

Jodie, I wish Ollie all the best on Tuesday. This little bloke can do anything. He'll sail through this.

Sorry to hear about Sophie, I hope all is well for her, I read about the new drug trial she is on and I really hope it works

The only reason Jewel became stable was because I started walking her again and it made her fight

So very very glad to hear Ollie is doing the "Ollie thing" and making himself better

Hope all goes well

Sorry for the thread hijack

I was just popping in to let you know I'd be thinking of you tomorrow ... but no need! Go Ollie :laugh: (slowly and gently, without further injury :rofl: )

That is what I am hoping for Moops. I really did not want to make him go through another operation.

Although the vet seems to think it is inevitable, I guess only time will tell.

Thanks

I was woken early by a little black nose that was very dry and scratchy. When I got up, I was confronted with a hallway covered in vomit - not good after the few wines I had after dinner last night.

I know he did it but there was so much of it.

He has had a bit of gastrolyte and some more maxalon and is sleeping comfortably on the lounge with the sun coming in the window. I am pretty sure it was just an incident, he does seem brighter now than he did this morning, so I am not going to worry about the vet at this stage.

Poor boy, a day off the tucker won't hurt him..