Deleted

It would be likely to be algae in the bottom of the dish. I get algae on mine. It won't hurt the dog - just make sure that you keep the water clean and fresh and clean out any food or anything that the dog might drop in, giving the bucket a wipe out regularly. Mind you, my dogs always prefer water from the fish pond or something like that to clean fresh water - most likely because fresh from the tap it has chlorine in it.

stainless steel still gets algae. I change the water every day, but I dont wash it every day. I only wash it whenever it starts going green. My water is right in the sun so grows quite a bit of algae.

i have stainless steel . Still get algae though. Damm annoying. I do change their water every day and scrub their bowls every second day. Some days are just worse than others. Nothing i know of will fix it.

Ours is in the shade - takes a few days for the algae to build up.

Had plastic bowls for years, s/steel now - doesn't seem to make any difference.

most likely because fresh from the tap it has chlorine in it.

Ours would prefer the dam or puddles on the ground, the horse though or her clam shell (even when dirty) and out water is tank water - no chlorine. :(

:D

Our guys don't drink out of water bowls - they prefer the fish pond (much to the disgust of the fish).

If the dogs are confined then they just get a bucket of water but half the time they end up playing in it and tipping it over - it never gets a chance to turn green.... :D

I've got a ceramic bowl. I've had to buy several because i'm a bit of a klutz and i lose my balance when my 2 just jump on me!!!! :(

I got my mum's dogs a big plastic bowl (there's 3 of them plus my stepbro's one). They've got a small bucket too as a second water source. It's only small cos otherwise their heads can't reach over the top. :D I've had no problems with algae whatsoever even after a few days but they are in the shade. I try to change their water everyday but sometimes I get too busy to do it and feed them (my mum does feed them). INcase you're wondering why i'm too busy, it's because they go to work with my mum and it's very hard when phone calls keep coming in and I just can't get out of the office.

I have a stainless steel bowl and two ceramic bowls. Stainless gets too hot outside in summer- even though its kept in the shade. I wouldn't drink hot water and I wouldn't expect my dogs to.

I wash the bowls everyday before I fill them. Besides, they drink more when its fresh and clean. Its a small thing to do in the scheme of things, and I see it as my responsibility to provide fresh water at all times. One of my girls pushes her face into the water to drink, and has to blow out through her nose, so if I didn't clean the bowl out everyday it would be gross. I wouldn't wait till it went green. I know when my girls drink the water at the lake (which has algae in it) they get slight tummy upsets.

Or you could get one of those self filling water dishes which you connect up to a hose or plastic soft drink bottle. That way the water isn't sitting in it all day.

Cheers,

Corine

We have one of the bowls that refill from the tap and it still gets algae in it. When the dogs drink some from it, it tops up, but they never drink it in one sitting, so there is always water sitting in it.

Mould/ algae seems to grow faster in the sun.

Antibacterial solution- like you sterilise baby's bottles with- or bleach cleans bowls well. Leave it for > 1 hour and the mould is gone without any scrubbing. Then rinse. Not sure if OK with s/steel, however. Generic brands work fine.

My Mum uses an old, heavy s/steel pot that the handle had broken off. Changes water daily and never seen any mould/ algae.