Smelly,itchy,pug

:D PLEASE can anybody help,my 4 yr old pug gets very itchy especially her feet which she bites, also she has this very strong ammonia smell which is overpowering .I have tried bathing her in every medicated shampoo on the market and the next day she smells just as bad Does anybody else have this problem HELP! MEG

You might have to look at changing her diet? it could be an allergy?

Thanks for your reply

I have tried lots of different diets but I have one of those fussy eaters and she will only eat meat nothing else,but I am to blame because when she won't try anything else I feel sorry for her and feed her meat.

Suggest you look for Warley in these forums as she is a breeder of pugs and no doubt can help you

Thank You

I will do that as I think thats the way to go, as they are a special breed of dog

Thanks for your reply

I have tried lots of different diets but I have one of those fussy eaters and she will only eat meat nothing else,but I am to blame because when she won't try anything else I feel sorry for her and feed her meat.

Thank You

I will do that as I think thats the way to go, as they are a special breed of dog

Meat on its own is an incomplete diet, if you are only feeding meat she may have a variety of vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Feeding meat on the bone would be better, try her with some raw chicken wings/frames/necks/sardines/mackerel/eggs/yoghurt/left over vegies etc.

Edited by Miranda

You might want to think about some blood tests at the vet. Some hormone imbalances can cause this sort of odor problem, as can certain vitamin and mineral imbalances. :D

Thanks We are going on Monday to have blood tests done, as I have been to the vet quite a few times with this problem and we have tried different tablets and diets but it still comes back so I hope they can find something with the blood tests

I will let you know the results .Also she gets like large blackheads in the soft underpart of her paws, and also they are really red,like if they are infected.

Meat on its own is an incomplete diet, if you are only feeding meat she may have a variety of vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Feeding meat on the bone would be better, try her with some raw chicken wings/frames/necks/sardines/mackerel/eggs/yoghurt/left over vegies etc.

Hi Again I have tried her with chicken necks and she got one caught in her throat and collapsed on the floor and it did dislodge but it gave me a hell of a fright and her too as she would not eat them again,but I know her diet has to be changed somehow

Thanks

Have you checked out your yard for possible plants that could cause alergies... http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/pplants.htm

many plants such as Wandering Jew can cause very bad allergies

Hi I have thought about that but the only time she goes outside is to releive herself and then she is straight back by my side so really the only thing she is in contact with is the grass which is kept cut ,but I do have wandering dew in one of my gardens but she never goes in there.Not unless she doesn't have to come in contact with it, I don't know. :D

I have tried lots of different diets but I have one of those fussy eaters and she will only eat meat nothing else
:laugh: Are you sure she is a Pug! :) I've never yet met a fussy Pug. My boys would eat paper if I offered it to them as food.

I'd suggest you see what the vet says and then I'd be getting in control of her eating. It takes 28 days (give or take) for a dog to starve and I will guarantee she'll be eating whatever you offer her within a day if you do not offer anything else.

The pimples certainly sound like an irritation of some sort. Is her skin or pads of her paws hot to touch?

:laugh: Are you sure she is a Pug! :rolleyes: I've never yet met a fussy Pug. My boys would eat paper if I offered it to them as food.

I'd suggest you see what the vet says and then I'd be getting in control of her eating. It takes 28 days (give or take) for a dog to starve and I will guarantee she'll be eating whatever you offer her within a day if you do not offer anything else.

The pimples certainly sound like an irritation of some sort. Is her skin or pads of her paws hot to touch?

Hi no her pads are not hot to touch .I wonder sometimes about if she is a pug as she thinks she's human,but she has no energy and always looks so sad and never wants to play anymore and once she drove us crazy wanting to play ,so we are off to the vet now so will let you know how we go Thanks.

hmm. smelly dogs.

Is your girl getting a bit overweight? does she wolf her meat down? drink and urinate a lot?

Could be worth testing thyroid levels.

thyroid imbalances often lead to smelly dogs- and with some thyroid disorders secondary infections in the skin which makes them itchy.

I am thyroid obsessed as I had a hypothyroid dog who suffered terribel problems for well over a year ( with frequent vet visits) and no one suggested thyroid. yet he was classic hypothyroid in his symptoms.

My thought was Diabete's. When levels are up a smell from the breath can give you a clue that levels can be out of wack.

If you have carpet, some underlay can be a problem. But I doubt it, because the breath doesn't match in.

Is it possible, tonsillitis (sp?) ?

Good luck, it's a doosy........................

I also have a very piggy puggy. Beef allergy is very common, maybe try chicken frames - so she can't inhale them?? Personally, I have never had a drama with my girl. She eats a mixture of nutrience dry food, and then some BARF stuff mixed in, and she gets bathed in Aloveen - which smells awesome! Sometimes she gets a doggy smell, but only if I haven't bathed her for a few weeks. Good luck at the vet and keep us posted! :rolleyes:

My thought was Diabete's. When levels are up a smell from the breath can give you a clue that levels can be out of wack.

If you have carpet, some underlay can be a problem. But I doubt it, because the breath doesn't match in.

Is it possible, tonsillitis (sp?) ?

Good luck, it's a doosy........................

Hi no I have all polished floors ,I wish it was just her breath I could put up with that,Its her body that smells ,but we have just come back from the vet that is I have, Meg is staying overnight for a soft palate op and she also had blood in her urine so we are having more tests done before we come home will keep you posted.

I also have a very piggy puggy. Beef allergy is very common, maybe try chicken frames - so she can't inhale them?? Personally, I have never had a drama with my girl. She eats a mixture of nutrience dry food, and then some BARF stuff mixed in, and she gets bathed in Aloveen - which smells awesome! Sometimes she gets a doggy smell, but only if I haven't bathed her for a few weeks. Good luck at the vet and keep us posted! :rolleyes:

Hi I bath Meg in Aloveen every 2 to 3 days and she does smell nice for about 8hrs,and trust me this is no normal doggy smell it is that amonia like it takes your breath away Also the vet seems to think she has some type of infection so after her overnight stay we hope to know more so I will keep you posted Thanks

Thanks for your reply

Thank You

Hi Again

Well we have been to vet and Meg is still there,as she had an op on her soft palate but also they found blood and crystals in her urine but xrays show no kidney stones so the urine has been sent away to be tested .I don't know how long this takes but the vet seem to think she has an infection in her kidneys, so we just have to wait now ,I pick her up in the morning

I'm glad to hear she got through the soft palate resection ok. Elongated soft palates is very common in Pugs.

Just out of curiosity - did you purchase Meg from a registered breeder?

Please let us know the results of the blood test.

I'm glad to hear she got through the soft palate resection ok. Elongated soft palates is very common in Pugs.

Just out of curiosity - did you purchase Meg from a registered breeder?

Please let us know the results of the blood test.

Hi Yes we did get her from a registered breeder and had to travel quite a distance to pick her up,but when we got there we did get a shock at the state of them and we should have turned around then and there without a puppy,but I had my heart set on a Pug and we do love her but she has had nothing but problems starting with mites which she had when we came home.Meg has just come home and her urine is practically all blood and crystals about the size of a pin head she is on antibiotics and the results from the tests we are waiting on so will let you know as soon as I here anything.Thanksfor your interest.