Oil For Glossy Coat

Hi,

I just fed my 2 their dinner - boiled egg, a little bit of olive oil and dry food. I remembered the vet telling me to feed egg and oil when our collie was having bad coat (her coat is better now :cheers: ).

What oil do you recommend? I've noticed a lot of people from previous threads using fish oil capsules. What are the advantages of fish oil capsules for dogs? Is normal ( ie. olive, sunflower) oil alright instead of fish oil capsules?

ETA: 'normal (ie. olive, sunflower)' so it doesnt see to make people think i'm talking about buying fish oil

Edited by kaywoman68

If you can get the oil then yeah it's fine as well...i just found it irritating to pour and it smelled..well...fishy...lol. The capsules were just more convienent. Even a smidge of vege oil is fine...but the fish oil is better :cheers:

Guest ~*Pixie*~

I use fish oil capsules. Largely because they're convenient... when I'm feeding BARF properly (will get back into that in the next week or so) then they don't eat out of a bowl every day so I can't pour liquid onto their meals. My girls will take the capsules straight from my hand and I just pop one down Brody's throat, so it's easy and not messy.

The oil from fish or meat is better than vegetable oils for dogs (Not like humans). Any oil is better than none though.

I can't remember why exactly, but I have read a few articles about it. Perhaps you could do a search.

A spoonful of lard or some oily sardines is what we recommend for glossy coats.

I was put onto cold press flaxseed oil by my natropath. Its worked wonders for my very itchy Staff and I give it to my show dogs a couple of days before a show for really glossy caots and anti dundruff. A little expensive maybe, about $7 for a 500ml bottle but I only give a teaspoon every other day or so with main meal. It has no smell like fish oil but contains omega 3,6 and 9 which is the active ingredience. You can will find it in the fridge section of any health food store.

Flaxseed and Linseed oils are the same thing (I'm pretty sure anyway!) You should look into getting it from the horse shops jedash, its much cheaper - not sure what the difference would be between it and the human quality stuff (says cold processed linseed oil on the bottle, source of omega 3, 6 and 9)

Ditto on the flaxseed oil! Fish oil is much better in capsules, for obvious reasons :rofl:

Wouldn't touch standard vegetable or canola oils with the proverbial ten foot barge pole - as they are dangerous for people, I wouldn't give them to a dog - they simply cause far too many degenerative diseases! This includes sunflower, safflower, cottonseed etc. Even olive oil should be extra virgin or nothing (no chemical or heat extraction)

I use an oil from Health Food Shops called Omega Pet. It is the best oil I have found as it gives them a mixture of all the oils they need in the correct quantities. It contains Omega 3 and 6 and already has the vitamin E in it so it doesn't go rancid in their bodies. Oil from the supermarket has been heat damaged. The only one you can use is extra virgin first cold pressd olive oil. However it doesn't contain any EFA's. Do not keep your oils for too long as they can go rancid and always keep them in the fridge.

The right oil for your dog also depends on whether your dog can convert inactive EFA's into their active form. Some dogs are unable to do this if they do not produce the enzymes needed to carry this out. If your dog cannot convert inactive EFA's to their active form you will need to feed active EFA's, these include:

Omega 6- Evenng Primrose Oil, Borage Oil and Black Currant Oil.

Omega 3 - Cod Liver Oil and Fish body oils.

Inactive EFA's include:

Omega 6 - vegetable oils including; safflower oil. sunflower oil, and corn oil.

Omega 3- flaxseed oil and hemp seed oil.

HIYA!

Flaxseed oil and Linseed oil are the same thing - Americans call it flaxseed from what i understand - both are the same product :mad

I give my dogs either/ or - every day. Either a 1000mg capsule (I snip off the end of the capsule and squeeze it over the meal) and I have a Tibetan terrier - about the same size as a cocker :mad) or a teaspoon of cold-pressed flaxseed oil.

Hope this helps - sure does keep their coats shiny! :mad

Sorry - haven't read the whole thread, but a woman with a very glossy lab told me that celery is great for coats - so I have always included celery in my dog's diet. I can't tell you how many people comment on her glossy shiny coat.

Does anyone else vouch for celery?

HIYA!

Flaxseed oil and Linseed oil are the same thing - Americans call it flaxseed from what i understand - both are the same product :mad

I give my dogs either/ or - every day. Either a 1000mg capsule (I snip off the end of the capsule and squeeze it over the meal) and I have a Tibetan terrier - about the same size as a cocker :mad) or a teaspoon of cold-pressed flaxseed oil.

Hope this helps - sure does keep their coats shiny! :mad

I'm giving Ice a teaspoon of Cod Liver oil every night. Is this ok do you think. Sue

smokeysue, my breeder told me to give a teaspoon of cod liver oil each day, as well as a teaspoon of flaxseed. Although another breeder has said that it should only be one teaspoon of cod liver oil, once per week :mad

Just be aware that adding oil can heat up the body and if you have a coated dog they will start to shed so don't over 'oil' so to speak.

I add a teaspoon of LSA (Linseed, Soy & Almond) mix to my show dogs meal each night. It is available from the health food section in the supermarket for around $8.00 per 500gs.