Is Cabanossi Good For Dogs?

jesskated

We have a golden ret. Puppy and she is attending puppy classes. (She is 5 months today)

The puppy school reconmended cabanossi as a treat.

I haven't given her any because I am worried about the preservatives

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks

Jess

If you do use it....don't use to much of it...as it could upset your pups tummy. A good bite sized bait is VIP chunkers you can get them in a bag from their local supermarket. There are a couple of different flavours and most dogs like them :rolleyes: they make good bait as well as they smell, are smallish and the dog doesn't have to stop and chew for a while...lol.

I was told to try cabanossi as a bait for my Irishwolf Hound in the show ring because as a puppy he was interested in everything but me while in the show ring. And the cabanossi worked great until about 20min before i had to do the baby puppy in show line up when he when really quiet and just was not himself. It was also the first and only time he has vomited in the trailer and the only thing i could think that could have done it was the cabanossi. But in saying all of that i have found out over time that my dog does have a really sensitive tummy and i do have to watch what i give him. I know of a lot of people that have been using cabanossi for a long time with no trouble at all. It is just up to you if you thing your puppy would be OK.

i wouldn't use it as it has way too high salt and fat levels...

try eating a handful yourself and feel the heartburn :rolleyes:

if you are only going to use a little bit it may be okay, but if you have a choice i would try something else.

You can always make homemade treats.

Cabanossis is not good for dogs. It contains fat, salt and Sulphur Dioxide.

Dr Malik's investigation revealed that:

* Just 400mg of sulphur dioxide per kilogram of meat destroys over half the thiamine in the food.

* 1000mg destroys virtually all thiamine.

Sulphites

In very small amounts it would be neglible, provided that the dog is not eating a diet that is high in SO2 from other sources.

Other sources

TT SO2 story

As long as you keep the amount per day very small it should be ok.

Doesn't it also contain sodium nitritates? (Or was it nitrites :rolleyes: ) I know I never used to let my kids eat any kind of cold meats for that reason - carcinogenic!

Bake your own liver treats - very tasty plus loads of vitamins A and D. There is nothing of any value in cabanossi except it's taste being handy for baiting.

When using liver we are only using it as a treat and treats are normally small bits at a time, if you are worried about the liver then how about dried chicken, there again I do it in the de-hydrater having seen someone at the Caboolture pet expo selling it.

What P*****me off here is that in NZ I used to get venison (no fat and lean meat) treats 2kg for NZD$21.00 wholesale, it is vacuum packed so why cant we get it here?, and why couldn't I bring it over?.

LOL I feed mine Nutro, and when I came over couldnt bring what I had there (unopened), and yet in Aus. Nutro is supplied from the warehouse in Wellington NZ, now that's silly.

I use finely cut up pieces of boiled chicken breast fillets as treats at home and at shows, my girl loves them. :laugh:

Also reaasonably cheap and if the dog has a sensitive tummy it should not upset it unless they dog has a sensitivity to chicken.

I would never use cabanosi, kabana etc , especially on a puppy

I use cabanossi and other sandwhich meats, sausage, hot dog etc. as training treats. I agree it's not the best thing for dogs (or people) to eat, but they are treats and not handed out by the bucket load. They make up a very small portion of my dogs diet. I've not had dogs or puppies react badly to it, however as I already said I use small amounts. Personally I don't use dried liver as training treats because I want a soft treat that is enticing to my dog that they can easily swallow and keep going. With the dried liver and smacko type stuff it isn't as easy to 'eat and go'. I also don't find that cheese does it for my dogs. If you want a healthier alternative to cabanossi then perhaps try cooked chicken meat (not bones!).

Remember when training with food to reduce their meals by the amount of treats you use.

Edited by FHR

I won't use human smallgoods for treats either.

The smaller the dog the more careful you have to be.

I know the NZ made Ziwi Peak Treats are available is Aussie. They are already cut into smallish pieces and are just air dried meat mix. No preservatives, colours, flavours, grain or fillers etc.

My dog would stand on his head for some.

The Ziwi Peak food is good too :cool:

Edited by Ashka

When bella went to puppy school they told us to use cabanossi also i did for the first week she loved it but i changed to doggy treats but didn't also reward her with food as i didn't want to keep doing it that way. We also used clickers which work very well with her, i was surprised how well she did.

good luck

If you do use it....don't use to much of it...as it could upset your pups tummy. A good bite sized bait is VIP chunkers you can get them in a bag from their local supermarket. There are a couple of different flavours and most dogs like them :D they make good bait as well as they smell, are smallish and the dog doesn't have to stop and chew for a while...lol.

I have not met one dog who doesn't nearly turn themselves inside out when I have those Chunkers :cool:

Mel xx

Okay, I'm going to off into a small tangent here if I may :vomit: ...... I would say that 9 out of 10 of us don't mind chomping on a Big Mac or even a packet of chips - some of us might even eat these things every day without thinking about they're going to affect our health! If you ask me, these foods contain far more crap in them than cabanossi, yet we still eat them and they don't kill us unless we were to eat them all day-everyday!. Someone previously mentioned sodium or salt - everythng contains salt as it is the cheapest and most readily available form of preservative available to the manufacturers. If you didn't think canned dog food or kibble contained salt - think again!

Same with cabanossi - whilst it's probably not the most nutritious treat for dogs, that exactly what it is - a treat! Used in small quantities for training it is harmless and if your dog likes it then why not!

Do you really know what goes into that $140 packet of "complete diet" kibble that most readily feed to their dogs? Far worse ingredients than in cabanossi!