Agility First Timers! (sorry, Long)

We were at Obedience on Saturday and noticed they were starting beginners Agility. We have been looking into this for a while and decided to take the plunge and give it a go!!!!

Well..... wasn't it fun!!! Roxy and I had a ball!

The only problem we had was in relation to Roxy's flat collar. They prefer you use a flat collar, and this is something Rox is not used to. So we had a few issues with pulling, etc.

We started off with the hurdles, which she wasn't too keen on.... and to start with I was jumping them with her.

We then moved on to the tunnel. This was a comedy of errors from the start. She really didn't want to go in it to start with. The trainer held her at one end and I stood at the other end coaxing her through with treats etc, which she wasn't too keen on. One of the other trainers came over and asked if I would like to use some of her training treats. I said "ok" and she proceded to get pieces of sausage (home made, I might add!) out of her pocket. Roxy is obviously not stupid and now realised that this lovely lady had yummy sausage in her pockets.... so from this point there was no getting Roxy in to the tunnel. It was Roxy licking this lady to death and sooking to get sausage from her. It had the class in histerics!!!!

And then the worst thing happened. As I was cleaning up 'doggy-doo', Roxy slipped her coller. I turned around to find that I was holding a lead with a collar attached to it..... but no dog. I looked over my shoulder to see Roxy bounding around. She wasn't running, she was frolicking almost!!! I yelled out to her immediately to come back to me, and she could obviously hear the distress in my voice as she came straight back. And then rolled over onto her back. I grabbed her and kissed her and cuddled her all I could, as I was so proud of her for coming straight back.

The trainers then took this as a que to move onto the beam that the dogs walk over (apologies, I don't know the correct name). Roxy was a master at this..... I was a very proud mummy again!!!

Anyway, can't wait till next week now..... we are now officially Agility-Addicts!!!

Oh boy, another addict in the making. :laugh:

The secret to the tunnel, we've found, is for the trainer to hold the dog at the entrance, and the owner (complete with yummy sausage treats) crawls in the other end as far as is necessary to lure the dog in. Don't worry - you only have to do this once, or at the most twice. Then maybe a couple more restrained recalls with you just bending down at the tunnel mouth - and by then the dog gets it, and you have a tunnel maniac. Then of course, you have the problem of persuading your dog not to go into the tunnel when she's not supposed to! :eek: But that's all part of the fun.

So next week, you'll have yummy treats yourself, won't you. Something really special (and small and soft).

One thing i love watching is the puppy class at our club they have some puppy friendly agility stuff for fun & break from obedience, watching people crawl into it to lure the puppy thru is hysterical :laugh:

Hee Hee! What fun you had :laugh: Miss Roxy certainly has a funny personality.

The tunnel is just the FUNNEST thing. Once you get Roxy to go through it a couple of times, your next task will be to get her to stop going through it :eek:

Sounds to me like you'd better start making your own sausages...

:cool: :D :eek: ;) :rofl::rofl:

Sure sounds like you had a FUN DAY!!!

WE are at about the same stage too its all TERRIFIC FUN!!!!!--My KIDS L OO V E the tunell & we taught them by rolling their favorite toy thru it & they went after it!!

We also set up our own weaving poles & little hurdles--(not the real deal--just poly pipe)--our kids really have a fantastic time-- so GO GIRL--ENJOY!!

Marie & her Shep KIDS

We have just started a bit of agility and it took our boy 3 goes at the tunnel first time up. First time same as you with trainer holding the lease and me on the other end down on knees and bum in air looking thu it to call him. Everyone laughing. But now no problems. Its a lot of fun. Sue

Sounds like you had a great time! I'm starting agility with Bondi (my Boxer) this week! (on my b'day aswell lol) I can already see her doing puppy zoomies around the course :vomit: She loves the tunnel aswell, she runs through it then turns around and runs through it again!

I have to admit I am an addict too :thumbsup:, Jock and I started a few weeks ago and already he can negotiate the majority of a course with minimal errors on his part, Good luck to you and and Roxy dog!

Warning: Agility is addictive!!

Sound slike you had a ball!

Boxa i didn' tknow it's your birthday on Friday! Mines in 10 days..so thats..?...on a Thursday..

Sandra

Uup my b'day this friday, sweet sixteen :rofl: but now i cant come to agility till next week coz im going out for my bday..

my jump

100_2784.jpg

havent used it much coz i dont wanna use it on the concrete.. and im too lazy to move it to the backyard :rofl:

Edited by boxagirl

Warning: Agility is addictive!!

Sound slike you had a ball!

Boxa i didn' tknow it's your birthday on Friday! Mines in 10 days..so thats..?...on a Thursday..

Sandra

Uup my b'day this friday, sweet sixteen :rofl: but now i cant come to agility till next week coz im going out for my bday..

That sucks Boxa.. All well..at least you can come :rofl:

Sorry for the thread hijack RM (sp?) :rofl: