Woofbix From Big W

Hi everyone,

I saw WoofBix in Big W on the weekend for just under $12 a bag. Does anyone know anything about them?

I am looking for a pound alternative to meatybites......Any suggestions at a reasonable price would be great. I am also looking into Coprice. Does anyone know anything about it? Meatybite turn their poo the same colour as the biscuts. It kind of concerns me regarding what colours are in there.

Please dont turn this into a raw food vs dry food debate. Whilst appreciate the information on a normal basis the pound is not the ideal place for a BARF diet. Dry food is the best as far as cost,storage etc. Whilst I know dogs shouldnt just be on dry food I dont have much choice. I dont think my boss would appreciate a huge bill for raw meat :confused: I do what I can as far as getting bones to them out of my own personal money but I still need a dry food recomendation. Anyone who has worked in a pound knows that Councils are not too keen on spending money on them.......

Thanks

Guest Clover

My aunty bought a bag and the dog would not touch the stuff :confused:, but then she is a fussy old girl. Looking at the ingredients it looks as though woofbixs mainly contain fillers (Cereal's).

How much a bag are they looking at paying?

There was a thread in rescue a few months ago on an Australian product called Meat E Vites. I saw the product a couple of weeks ago at our local pet food supplier and bought a bag - 20 kg for $22. The dogs love it and are doing really well on it!!!

Edited by jemappelle

Guest Piximatosis

Another cheap suggestion... check out foods by the Great Aussie Petfood Company (MaxiPup, Baby Boomer etc)... it's not the best stuff on the market but it doesn't have preservatives or artificial colours or flavours, and the dogs usually love it.

HI THERE JUST A SUGGESTION HAVE YOU THOUGHT OR YOU MAY HAVE ALREADY TRIED BUT WHAT ABOUT APPROACHING MANUFACTERS AND SUGGESTING THEY SUPPLY SOME AND YOU WOULD PUT UP THERE PRODUCT ADVERTISING AND THEY COULD ALSO GIVE YOU SMALL SAMPLES TO GIVE OUT TO THE ADOPTEES IF YOU HAVE THEM. MAY THIS COULD HELP YOUR EXPENSES --GLORYBEA

I think Glorybea makes a good suggestion, but as he/she said, you may have already tried that. I received a couple of free samples of Woofbix when they first came out at my local Big W. Sprinkled a bit onto Zephyr's usual dinner and he seemed to like it. Don't know how well he would do on it on a long term basis though. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sometime ago I complied a list of all doggy food retailers with the idea of asking for sponsorship or something along those lines but I figured no one would be interested in smaller countryCouncil pounds. I will definately get onto it and give it a go. It cant hurt to try....

I will let you know how I go

Thanks again

Joanne

Jo, isn't dog food included in the council's budget? I know there is usually never enough to go around for long enough, our little pound gives good quality kibble and lower grade canned stuff for some flavour. The pups I have taken from there to take to rescue have come in thin and come out fat, happy lil grubs.

Hi Jaybee,

It is in our budget and I have the choice over what sort I buy. At the moment and forever the dogs have been getting meatybites. I am not a big fan of meaty bites and I was after another cheap alternative that was reasonable quality. The budget has been based on meaty bites so the change needs to be around the same price. As we all know COuncils dont like spending money on the pounds. I have been here just over a year and I am just slowley being allowed to make changes. Progress is very slow......

I guess the problem with Griffith is that we are limited for choice. The major wholesale companies here sell coprice, meatybites, pedigree pal, bonnie working or some other brand I have never heard of. I was trying to figure out the better of the evils........

Coprice is actually a local company so am thinking of sending over a nice request letter.....

Hi Jo,

I just recently saw Woofbix too and thought I'd give it a go...especially since it's Australian and I always like to support local companies...and the nutrition analysis wasn't bad.....and for $12 for 15 kg....I must say it's very cheap.

I have almost finished one bag spread amongst four dogs....they are fine on it...but they have no choice...there is no room for fussiness in my household....

Not a bad alternative and definitely preferable to chum, meaty bites or no name brand...

My preference is always supercoat.....I use the light and mature for my old dog, adult working dog/adult for my own and fosters and the puppy for my puppy fosters...they have a good range...

I've found the cheapest place to buy supercoat is at Big W because 14 kg is usually around $24-25 which is only about $1.80/kg....

Large pet barns also do good deals on pallets....Bonnie is also a favourite of some of our ARF carers and one of us recently bought a pallat of this and it worked out about similar costing $34-35 for 18 kg??? From memory.

Anyway based on cost limitations if <$1/kg Woofbix might be a reasonable option to try, if allowed up to $2/kg then I would suggest Supercoat or Bonnie (the bonus with these two is you can buy lifestage specific dog food all at the same price...i.e. puppy for any pups...adult for most .....and senior if you wish for any mature dogs)

Yes.....great idea if you have Coprice handy....by all means approach them....at the end of the day free food means perhaps any money spared from buying food can go into bones, bedding etc......

Just my thoughts,

Andrea

I'm pretty sure that one of ARF's foster carers (not on DOL) said she gets a 20kg bag of Bonnie for about $20 from the Bungendore stockfeed store.

Is there an equivalent place in Griffith that can offer such a deal?

Im afraid Im not very familiare with Australia geographically so perhaps someone could tell me where Griffith is??lol

Jo, If you can let me know in a private message some details, im more then willing to send down (or up) bags of premium foods when I can. This includes Royal Canin, Hills, Euk and the cheaper version of Euk, Iams. I have access to all bags with damaged packaging or stock that is close to use by date etc. Its not solution to your problem by any means, but my thought is this. The budget will only allow the cheap supermarket quality dry foods but if you have the good stuff from time to time you can mix it. Gotta be better then meatybites :rofl:

As a breeder plus running rescue I feed my own BARF and Royal canin, however I do have friends with small rescue services that do very well by feeding Super Coat mixed with the premium donations they receive from me.

Anyhow let me know what you think, not everyone is keen on introducing to many new foods to a dogs diet I know.

Kyla

QLD CAVALIER RESCUE

Hi, i saw the woofbix at Big W and i read the ingredients then compared, they are much better than the chum brand at Big W, with the woofbix the first ingredient is a meat unlike chum with cereals and cereal by products.

Woofbix also had a list of vitamins and minerals added nearly all the same added vitamins as supercoat does, Chum does not even list the vitamins if there are any.

I think the woofbix is value and am going to get some to add with my guys supercoat next time, see how they like it.

But if i were only feeding a dry food and not barf aswell i'd stick with a premium dry food.

I also heard that Bonnie is a good cheaper food and is made with real meat.

My friend recently bought a bag of Woofbix and started feeding it to her 9 year old dog. We have no idea if it was due to the change in food, but her dog started having seizures within a couple of days of eating it. She fed the dog Woofbix for 2 weeks, and the dog had 2-3 seizures in all. The vet was unable to find a physical cause. The dog's back on to the normal Chum now and doing fine.

We have no idea if it was due to the Woofbix, the kibble was smaller, possibly she was sensitive to preservatives etc. But that's my only experience with Woofbix!

Edited by Gone Grey