Your Thoughts On Ecopet Meat Loaves...

Hi to all :hitself:

I was interested to notice that AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service), uses the ECOPET meat loaves at the Melbourne quarantine station and that they speak very highly of the products. It seems the dogs thrive on it and because it is all natural with no preservatives, I found it an interesting product...

I did a search here on the health forum and I noticed a couple of people use it and have also spoken positively of the food.

Can anyone using the ECOPET brand products give me an idea on what they think of it ?...

Hi there,

I feed mainly raw, but do use ecopet for brekky now and agian with Innova kibble.

I think it is the best of the dog rolls available going by the ingredients - just my opinion.annieK

I usually buy one of the Ecopet rolls (chicken and rice) when we have a foster greyhound. Partly to ensure that the foster will eat the full range of food options, and also because the occasional foster doesn't like the raw diet our dogs and cat are fed. And, it's a special treat for our dogs, once a month or so, to have the equivalent of a "take away" meal :hitself: . I also believe it's the best of the available "pet rolls". I also know of a couple of greyhound owner/trainers who buy it in bulk as a part of their greys' diets. Unfortunately, I think you have to be a trainer to purchase it in bulk.

Regards,

Fastgals.

This is so weird as I was going to post a similar question in the next couple of days as my Sheltie is now 6 months and when I got him a friend of mine who's husband was a vet recommended Ecopet but when I tried Kasper as a pup he didn't like it so I put him on raw. But the last couple of weeks I have decided to try a modified raw diet and bought the ecopet to try him again, he doesn't seem to thrilled with it so this morning I decided to mix it with raw chicken mince as it seems very dry on it's own.....I will let you know tomorrow it he ate it...as far as how good it is - my friend says it is the best dog food you can buy out of all of them cans, dry etc.

I feed 3 of my dogs the Ecopet. They usually have the chicken mix but really enjoy the roo one as well. I usually add a handful of biscuits, a little carrot and sometimes a little low fat cottage cheese. They all look great on it and really enjoy it.

The other ones have special diets!

I'm pretty sure this is the stuff we feed the dogs at work (boarding kennels), we get it in a 5kg block. I've had my dogs on it for a few months now, they look great and really love it - and its easier to deal with than meat.

Thanks to all who answered.

I picked up an ECOPET brochure at the quarantine station and it certainly seems an interesting option, or at least a quality "treat" to add into kibble or raw diet... Even "at the other end" the result seems quite good for a soft, wet food and the stools are firm and dryish... I'll definately be giving it a go :D

Any further opinions are still welcome :)

We used it for 2 years years with our older guys....it was the only food hamish would/could eat without ending up with the runs- stopped usuing it about 4 months ago when the supplier we got it from started storing them too long and it turned into a oily mess...not eco pets issue- the suppliers issue. Dont have another decent supplier in the area...so changed diet. Never had an issue with it- their stools were fantastic and both the boys loved it

Well I can put my hand up and say I have used Ecopet for what seems like ever. I'm not sure how long they have been around but I reckon I've been buying it at least 7 years. I used to feed my dogs Pal and not only was it expensive it resulted in upset stomachs with runny poohs. I cant really recall how I got onto Ecopet but since switching have never looked back and I would never feed my dogs tin food aside from the very odd occassion I would have a tin of Natures Own in the cupboard in case I ran out of Ecopet.

I think I went thru a bit of a stage of trying to find a product that didn't have by-product as the main ingredient and that may be how I discovered Ecopet. Back then it was really hard to find but now seems quite easy, even some Butchers and IGA supermarkets carry it. You wont find it in supermarkets like Coles/Safeway though and personally I hope it never does, that tends to be when good things end, prices skyrocket and product suffers over profit.

Since introducing it to my dogs overnight the pooh situation in the yard resulted in never seeing an upset bowel motion again ... yes my dogs thrived on it too, always had healthy shiny coats. I went from a dog who had a very bad problem with runny pooh and having to get it checked and be on a special diet to a dog that didn't have a problem again. It was more affordable than Pal, better for the environment (less tins), better for the dogs health I believed but you do have to be careful as the product is so concentrated you wouldn't give them a whole heap. I know the packaging changed a few years back, and I believe now the reccommended amounts have increased significantly from earlier times. I dont think I ever fed my dog the recommended amounts but then I also supplimented with dry food. My blue heeler, I would feed about 1.5" of Ecopet cut into cubes each night but he'd also have a scoop of dry in the morning (which he would rarely eat) and a scoop of dry of a night under the Ecopet which he seemed to polish off also. My dogs always maintained healthy weight and my kelpie was actually overweight.

:dropjaw: from me, I never liked the chicken varieities I found they went off a lot quicker than the others so after a few bad batches stuck with the beef or lamb. Also watch the Use By dates as some stores carry old stock. Years ago they never used to have Use By dates and I would often get yukky batches, they must of had a few complaints about it, I wrote to them myself and then they introduced the expiries. Shop around, prices vary ... IGA sells it here for $6.99 per roll but pet shops can get up to the $7.99. You just cant go wrong with this product. I must sound like an employee rofl. I'm not, promise :laugh:

Edited by Burlof

Ecopet also sell an excellent kibble although it is hard to find. Robbo's PetBarn in Dandenong (Vic) sell it and I have found it at a few other places. Good value at about $22 for 10kg from memory.

Ecopet also have an outlet/shop in Dandenong

How much are you giving him? How much does he weigh? How are you cutting it up? From the day I gave it to my dogs I have never had them refuse it, ever. Even my CATS eat it sometimes and I went thru a period of feeding it to them too.

I found it really hard to adjust mentally coming from tins. Back then when we were on Pal, there was this new franchise company that would come once a month to your house and give you food and a vet check so I firstly went over to them. They had concentrated tins (which on reflection was just Natures Own) and you only fed a much smaller amount than say Pal which is mostly water. Ecopet is very similar, the ingredient is natural and not full of water or by-product so you need much less.

And feeding less I dont believe applies to the other rolls you buy from the supermarket, just Ecopet. The others may be water and byproduct. As far as I know Eco pet is quite an original.

Edited by Burlof

I have been using eco pet for years now and its been great. I mainly feed raw but use eco pet for variety. We also have a family of Maggies that we feed it too and they love it!! Healthiest looking maggies in the neighbourhood!! They come and sing for it so must be good tucker. :thumbsup:

Thank you all :thumbsup:

So far, one doggie doesn't seem to enjoy the brand but all other posts are positive... Interesting :cry:

I'm curious about the kibble for which ALL responses are positive... I may try to find a supplier and give it a go, mixing roll + kibble together... ***makes mental note to keep an eye out for Ecopet kibble suppliers****

Hi Burlof

I give Kasper about a 1 1/2 inche block cut up into little pieces...the only way he will it is if he is absolutley starving...I don't get it, the neighbours dog came over the other day and saw it sitting there and wolfed it down (the birds love it too)....I really want Kasper to eat it as I believe it's a good product but I guess you can lead a horse to water..... :laugh:

Well yeah aw well I guess the only other thing you could try is to introduce it little at a time over a few weeks. You can buy it in small rolls for about $4.50. Maybe just include a little with what he would normally eat and increase the amount. But you're right if he doesn't have a taste for it then no point forcing it, give him something he likes. Also try different 'flavours' ........ there is a chicken & cheese one (or it might be fish & cheese) ...... either way, I reckon cheese flavour is always temping to a dog.