Kibble Help Please!

Hi everyone.

You guys will probably find this hard to believe but I have a very fussy stafford who has so far refused to eat any brand of kibble offered to her. She is almost 2 years old and happily eats raw chicken wings/necks and lamb, plus bones, but I am finding it impossible to please her with regard to kibble. So far she has rejected Supercoat, Bonnie, ProPlan and the cheaper brands like Meatybites & LuckyDog.

Do any of you guys know of an extra tasty type of kibble that might persuade my stafford to eat it? Is there one for extra fussy eaters??

I am willing to try anything, regardless of cost.

Thanks heaps

Staffordgal :cry:

unbelievably I got a fussy golden retreiver!!!!!! Who would eat very little. The only kibble he would eat is Optimum which comes in a variety and is at the supermarket. The vet said that wasn't too bad and he seems okay on it.

Since being joined by a very gutsy little sister his eating has improved dramatically, nothing gets left for later on! that might be a solution as well, a companion will soon get her eating!

good luck!

You may have read sometime ago a post from Norskgra re a dog of hers which was a very fussy eater. She now has that particular dog on Nutro, a super premium dry kibble with no chemical preservatives, animal by products, added colourants or corn.

It is available in Sydney but unfortunately not in the ACT atm.

You say your girl happily eats BARF, so I don't see the problem :love: If she's happy on it, and she's healthy, leave her be, just remember to add her veg and garlic, so she gets everything she needs. Why are you trying to put her onto kibble, is it convenience or cost ??

and do NOT try to mix raw food with kibble and feed in one meal, as they digest at different rates, potentially causing stomach and digestinal tract probs :cheer:

Edited by Red Mal UK

You may have read sometime ago a post from Norskgra re a dog of hers which was a very fussy eater. She now has that particular dog on Nutro, a super premium dry kibble with no chemical preservatives, animal by products, added colourants or corn.

It is available in Sydney but unfortunately not in the ACT atm.

I had a thread going for quite some time about one of my girls, Tyra, who was the most finicky, fussy eater I have had in over 30 years of owning dogs. I tried her on just about every brand of dry food available. She wouldn't eat BARF either. She would willing go without food for up to 2 weeks. She will a raw diet, sort of. She loves her Nutro as well and was getting that a couple of times a week when she wouldn't eat what my other dogs were having for dinner.

She has a litter of puppies due in less than 2 weeks and now she is being fed raw meaty bones, sardines and Nutro Puppy. There is not much else she will eat at the moment as she will only eat food she can crunch. She has her sardines on top of her Nutro Puppy once or twice a week and eats her the Nutro for breakfast as well.

Some of my dogs are fed on a raw diet and the others are fed Nutro.

Edited by Norskgra

Thankyou to everyone who has posted a reply!!

I can also add though that my stafford doesn't really like vegies but will eat them if there aren't too many, and will eat a little rice. Hates pasta though.

I could have also added Optimum to that list of previously tried biscuits, as I have bought that one before too, with no joy there either.

She will, however, eat anything the cat eats, both tinned and dry biscuits, so are there any major probs with this? I'm not too keen on her eating tinned food but I don't want her to starve either!!

I do want to make sure that she is getting all the necessary vitamins though.

Cheers

Staffordgal :love:

What sort (flavour) of cat food?

I do tend to mix other stuff with the veges - like a little liver or kidney, some sardines, yoghurt etc.

Maybe you could mix a little of the cat food with the veg - and gradually change over to mixing in some of the above suggestions instead. I don't usually give mine cheese, for example, but some here do give cheese on occasion. All these are "flavours" that attract the cats too. Actually, our cat eats the dogs vege mix as well.

I think a little cat food would not hurt over short period - our dogs over the years have been the regular garbage disposal, always cleaning up any cat food left over.

However, as a regular or significant part of the dog's diet, I'm not so sure it is a good thing.

:love:

My staffords don't eat any kibble (they would but I don't give it to them)

I give them raw mince veggie mix (beef mince with small amount of processed raw veggies mixed through it), chicken necks or frames and tinned sardines in oil, and small amounts of various offal

I used to have different days for each type of food, but now give them a little of everything in their bowl, they love it

Thankyou to everyone who has posted a reply!!

She will, however, eat anything the cat eats, both tinned and dry biscuits, so are there any major probs with this? I'm not too keen on her eating tinned food but I don't want her to starve either!!

I do want to make sure that she is getting all the necessary vitamins though.

Cheers

Staffordgal :love:

I have a 17 year old poodle who has eaten tinned cat food for most of her life. She would not eat dog kibble (no matter what you did to it/mixed it with.) She will eat occasional tins of dog food, will not eat raw food at all, or vegetables. (No matter how hungry she is or what you mix it with... actually, if you covered it all in chocolate she might eat it...) She has no heath problems apart from a little arthritis on cold mornings. My vet told me that there are enzymes in dog food that cats can't digest, but not the other way round, so dogs can eat cat food. Cat food used to have a much higher fat content than dog food, but not any more as there are some fatty cattys out there! You might like to try some of the fish cat food - a lot of dogs love fish. If you are worried about your dog eating the food of 'the enemy', just explain to it that the picture on the outside of the can indicates what is on the inside of the can... :cheer: (It's true! A tin with a picture of corn on the outside has corn inside, doesn't it!!) :cheer::(:cry:

:cheer:

f you are worried about your dog eating the food of 'the enemy', just explain to it that the picture on the outside of the can indicates what is on the inside of the can..

Of course, the dog will take this speel hook, line and sinker and proceed to chase tins of cat food all over the house.

:love:

I've never had a fussy eater, but I decided to change my kibble to some thing better. I have four dogs of all ages and sizes. The first delivery of NUTRO and I had four dogs waiting at the gate, following me into the kitchen and they all wanted to jump into the bags. I've never seen anything like it. I am currently OS so I had to make up individual portion bags of the kibble for my hubby to feed them the right amount. Of course, I mixed it with what I currently had them on so they would not get upset tummy's. I gave them a portion bag each that night before I left for OS and one of the portion bags ended up outside the rubbish bin and I could not believe it…………I had the dogs almost fithing just to lick the inside of the plastic bag!!!!!

The small bites are perfect for my Chi and the senior one is great If you have old dogs with not much teeth or sore gums cause it's made up so it's easy for them to chew.

My Dane is a very slow eater and he was doing pirouettes and eating a lot more passionate with the NUTRO.

My husband told me yesterday that they are waiting for their food as soon as he come home. They all stand where the food are kept and wag their tails.

This is the first time ever I've seen my dogs lick the bowl that long after being fed just kibble. Unbelievable reaction and I'm very pleased with the home delivery service too!!!

Wow, thankyou guys for all your posts, I have taken absolutely everything on board and will give it all a go. Hopefully I will find a mixture there that will be the best for her.

I will also try and source out some of this Nutro that some of you have been talking about, it sounds like its the dog version of sticky date pudding!!! I am in Canberra but if I can't get it here, I might be able to get it from Sydney.

Will give the mixed BARF & vegies a go, aswell as vegie/mince mix and see how she likes that.

I certainly make sure that she gets plenty of BARF, but just always assumed that kibble gave them that 'little bit more' vitamins and minerals.

I still can't believe that I have a stafford who won't eat certain things though! My other stafford used to inhale food!! The mind boggles!...

Cheers and many thanks!!!

Staffordgal :mad

Have you tried the Nature's Gift kibble? It is a semi-moist kibble so is softer. My doggies thought it was rather yummy including my pup who isn't that keen on kibble. Pup was weaned on natural foods and hasn't thought much of the expensive kibble I buy unless it has other stuff with it. He did leave his Innova to go and pinch my other dog's Nature's Gift though. First on the ingredient list is meat, it doesn't have corn or artificial colourings/flavours.

Not sure if this has been suggested or tried, but add hot or cold water (depending on weather) to the dry kibble, either serve straight up or wait till the food absorbs some water.

I have a really fussy slow eating dog and ive tried EVERY brand there is in Victoria but he was still not overly happy eating and he has a fast metabolism so its hard to keep on weight not good when he is a show dog LOL but this way he actually enjoys eating and will finish quicker. Plus in winter when dogs drink less he gets more water in him too.

Like i said not sure if youve tried it but its worth a shot (and cheap!!) if you havent.