My Pet Peeve

Quite interesting this discussion - I only logged onto this forum a week or so ago, looking for my new dog. After looking at all the shelters and such in SE QLD (who want to give you the third degree and interrogation before you can even LOOK at a dog), I found my ideal dog at my local pound, yet another nearly victim of idiots who should not own dogs! A beautiful Rotti x Kelpie bitch, Bella is 7mths old and has had nothing done with her, you know, just buy the dog put it in the back yard and when it gives you too much trouble wandering etc, just offload it at the pound and start again!!! :) ;) ;) Through no fault of her own this lovely pup was on the one way street - lucky for her she has landed on her paws, but how many don't????? I always maintained that it was owners who needed registering not dogs - after having taught at the local obedience club for two years I have seen mostly all of it, and got so sick of it I quit. Our council has at least gone part of the way, they allow discount registration for obedience trained dogs and desexing, to the point that dog registration can be as cheap as $10, obviously it still isnt enough......

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another of my 'pet peeves' are owners/handlers who seem to think that 'training' doesn't start until they actually GET to class. I, as well as many other instructors are regularly and often pointing out to dog owners that training begins THE MOMENT the lead is attached to the dog. However, I constantly see people who ignore all the training advice given and techniques used to teach their dogs not to pull on the lead .... Instead, they allow their dogs to pull all the way to class and THEN their handlers put their learnt technique into action.

And this counts for NOT ONLY beginners, but ALSO for handler/dog combo's in the higher level classes as well. :D

And then the people ask why their dog still pulls, or why their dog is unreliable in this respect. Not to mention that it's simply not fair on the dog - too much inconsistency. :thumbsup:(Erny searches for "pull hair out" emoticon)

ETA: I guess what I'm really saying here is that there is so much inconsistency in training by dog owners, on behalf of the dogs, I find it really frustratingly maddening. :):laugh: Please don't do it.

Or the ones that give their dog a command & then promptly walk away & ignore it when it doesnt do it. :thumbsup: I have lost track of the number of peple (yes in higher classes!) at our obedience club that tie their dog up to a stake, make it sit, tell it to stay & then walk away to go & pay their fees/talk to their friends etc & as soon as the person has taken 2 steps from the dog it is either standing up sniffing around, barking at other dogs, lying down etc. Then the owner comes back to the dog, gives it a pat & unties it & off they go. :thumbsup:

What the heck does that teach the dog apart from that "sit" & "stay" dont actually mean "sit" & "stay"? :cheer::champagne:

I usually have blood pouring from my tongue by the time training has finished :D :thumbsup: .

Unfortunately, we are living in a world gone mad! People are lazier and more stupid then ever before. That's not really the part that bothers me though, the issue that I have is that any animal that you take into your home, you are responsible for the well being, both physically and mentally of that life.

For people that get the animal and THEN figure out their too busy or it doesn't suit their life style, they should be forced to do community service at the local pound for a month where they intend to dump the dog!!!

I just wanted to say we have practised all week and i do not say anything to the dogs unless i want them to do it adn i can enforce it.

Barker passed out of puppys to young dogs (only cause of his age :thumbsup: ) He is doing really well, i just need to get him to stop carrying on when he has to go to bed.

We tell him 'inyour bed' and he goes outside and then as soon as the lights go off he starts. Hoiwling, barking etc. We are ignoring it so hopefully he stops but what else do i do? If i crate him he carries on the same.

Quite interesting this discussion - I only logged onto this forum a week or so ago, looking for my new dog. After looking at all the shelters and such in SE QLD (who want to give you the third degree and interrogation before you can even LOOK at a dog)

Being an experienced dog person and having taught dog obedience you would understand the importance of being selective when finding new owners for pound / shelter dogs. Many of these dogs are in private homes being fostered so some sort of criteria needs to be used before it can be arranged for these dogs to be looked at.

I foster sometimes (in SE Qld) and along with work / study / children / household responsibilities etc. I am quite a busy person as are most people now-days. I love it when people come to inspect my fosters but am grateful to coordinators who "check out" new owners.

Great that you have found your new dog, Bella, and that you rescued her from the pound.

I think with people in lower classes, sometimes they don't know any better, or stuff it up from lack of experience. I know I stuff it up more than I should, often realising just as I've said it and think "bugger - wrong command" or wrong hand signal :thumbsup: But as long as we learn from our mistakes :thumbsup:

In the higher classes, and with more experienced dogs, I reckon people get complacent and then wonder why the dog goes backwards. I believe consistancy is king, regardless of what animal you're training!!

My instructor was a bit shocked at how little "training" I do with my dog.... maybe she's just very smart and I'm lucky, but I reckon 5 mins of effective training plus consistant behaviour guidelines is far more effective than 30 minutes of training and then letting the dog get away with murder for the rest of the week..... IMHO anyway :champagne:

It's funny you brought this up Feral Pup. I had a good talk to several of the Advanced groups at training and I told them that it's impossible to be bored in class if you're doing what needs to be done. There is so much to do in classes.

I know some instructors are as painful as going to a dentist, don't worry I've seen them. I often go around to schools to have a look at what there doing and somtimes I would be more engaged by watching grass grow, however in a class with a good instructor, there's no excuse.

You can fix that, just put a different colour sticker on each shoulder :)

We always used to suggest writing "L" & "R" on peoples shoes ;) ;) .

"Step off on your LEFT foot - yesssss the one with the "L" on it!" :D

Edited by MrsD

NOOOO the other left! :)

I must admit though, the only reason that I remember left from right sometimes is because I go to obedience club!

Interesting point about gender and drop out rates etc, for the K9 workshop here in Gympie, of the 22 places that are filled so far only 2 are men (pickings are grim for those gals who are on the lookout :D and if you're coming you'll see what I mean...sorry Bob and Neale! Can't yet comment on K9 though ;) ). I wonder if its harder for men to admit that they need help? Also if doggy activities are mainly populated by women or instructed by women, do men have a hard time taking instruction from women??? Also, apart from going topless and cracking whips, what can us women do to help out?

The bottom line is, which i'm trying to make is;

2. You need to set aside at least an hour a day for them

1 hour, don't go to a board over here in North America and say that, you will get flamed like you wouldn't believe. YOu are not allowed to spend more than 1 hour AWAY from your dog according to most over here. :D :)

Question for the breeders with clauses about training.

I have always trained my own dogs, all GSD's up until Kane our Mal. They where socialized with my friends dogs since the day I recieved them. They have all been well behaved and followed basic obidence, ie: sit, stay, down, leave, give ect. and lead manners. Would you force me and people like me to go to a training class so I can have one of your pups?

I'm sorry if someone else has bought this up, but 12 pages is alot to read, and this part of the conversation seemed to drop off after page 5 anyway.

Also, apart from going topless and cracking whips, what can us women do to help out?

Hmmmmmm hang on ............ nope - thats all most men would want! Men would be at dog training all over the place then! :D :) ;)

Also, apart from going topless and cracking whips, what can us women do to help out?

Hmmmmmm hang on ............ nope - thats all most men would want! Men would be at dog training all over the place then! :D :) ;)

;) :thumbsup:

Yeah, but they'd probably forget to bring their dogs :walkdog::cheer:

Hmmmmmm hang on ............ nope - thats all most men would want! Men would be at dog training all over the place then! :) ;) ;)

:thumbsup::walkdog:

Yeah, but they'd probably forget to bring their dogs :cheer::party:

Good point! :rock:

:D In regard to Left and Right, I had a trainer who would say to me 'Left, the side with the dog'. It always made me laugh.

That wouldnt work with the men that forgot their dogs then, they'd still be clueless! ;) :rofl:

Edited by MrsD

You dirty girls are corrupting my thread with your potty talk ;)

"Ohhhh baby, talk potty to me" doesnt quite have the same ring to it, does it HR? :thumbsup: ;) OK OK, I promise I will behave now :D :) .

Quite interesting this discussion - I only logged onto this forum a week or so ago, looking for my new dog. After looking at all the shelters and such in SE QLD (who want to give you the third degree and interrogation before you can even LOOK at a dog)

Being an experienced dog person and having taught dog obedience you would understand the importance of being selective when finding new owners for pound / shelter dogs. Many of these dogs are in private homes being fostered so some sort of criteria needs to be used before it can be arranged for these dogs to be looked at.

I foster sometimes (in SE Qld) and along with work / study / children / household responsibilities etc. I am quite a busy person as are most people now-days. I love it when people come to inspect my fosters but am grateful to coordinators who "check out" new owners.

Great that you have found your new dog, Bella, and that you rescued her from the pound.

Thanks for the feedback Scarlet - I know why the shelters give you the third degree - it's for your own protection as much as the dogs I am sure!! Just a little frustration creeping in there, I lost my old dog last year at 15 and it has taken me eight months to even think about another dog, and after weeks of hunting was getting nowhere fast, and then Bella wormed her way in (and what a dog...) She has big boots to fill and is doing her best.....

I have a lot of respect for anyone who fosters welfare dogs and nothing but contempt for the people who are so heartlessly able to dump them and forget - I could never understand that mentality. I would love to foster too but dont know where to start? Maybe some help in that direction please?!