Toilet On Command

Im currently house training my baby and thoought about training her to toilet on command. Its not something that I desperatelly want to achieve, but perhaps. So how do I do it?

Apart from the normal toilet training stuff, and adding a command what else if anything?

I accidentally trained to toilet on command when I was house training because everytime i put him outside i would say the word, then when he went I would make a huge fuss saying the word and 'good boy', now he sort of knows.

If I had have known I could use it I would have picked a better word though- last night I was at the park, got him out of the car and onto the grass and was saying 'wee wee zig, good boy, wee wee' while a pack of footballers ran past training ;)

I also picked an embarrassing one first time with Diesel - 'wee time' :thumbsup: . More careful selection with Kaos this time gave me simply 'toilet'.

Seems to work pretty well too ;)

same here with the unintentional command ;)

Early morning wee breaks had me standing barefoot on the cold lawn saying "Hurry up and go will you" "just go to the toilet!! "

Now "Hurry up" is her toilet command

Also, after they go, praise and then say "go play" or whatever your free time phrase is.

That way they know to go to the toilet first before they get to muck around.

Nothing worse than a quick toilet break on a long car trip but the dog thinks it's playtime and gets back into the car without going.

So the sequence here is

let her out----- "go to the toilet" "hurry up !!"

she sniffs and goes

"Good girl" pat and cuddle

"go play" zooms around

"come on, inside" or "come on, in the car"

Yep we ended up with an accidental command too.

"Go down" ;)

It started with our first dog. When it was time for her to go out, she would stand at the top of the stairs and look at me. So i used to have to tell her to "go down" the stairs.

The rest of our dogs have picked it up also. I have tried to change it but they just look at me like I am an idiot. :thumbsup:

Yeah we use toilet

If they don't go, I figure they just don't need to go, can't correct them if they have an empty bladder

Did anyone hear the guy on Nova this morning talking to the blind guy with a guide dog? They say quick quicks to them

As I crate youngsters, and am aware of toilet times, I ALWAYS go out with them to the garden. As they empty, I repeat toilet toilet toilet.

The last thing I want is for a dog to empty in the midle of a retrieving trial, never more so, when they have been in water, which may cause the urge.

Mine nowdays try so hard to toilet, on command, even when there is nothing there. Tricksters, LOL.

Peeing the house when excited? Just wondering, do you fuss her alot, stir her up, very high voice?. Crate, crate, crate, crate. Nervous peeing? UTI???

Sure, some pee in young excitement and they more often than not, settle, but I look at all angles, just in case, health/poor nerves/stress may be the underlying problem.

I had my first true experience this morning with my dog toileting on command!!! I was so excited!! We have been working on it for about 6 wks and today was the very first time she did it as soon as i gave the command, usually i just do the following around til its time. Thank you so much for this thread, i had no one all day to express my excitement to, as the ppl i work with just dont get it.

Know of an owner who followed her pup around religiously for 3-4 weeks and put a shovel under him when he went. He now poops on the shovel every time. Wish I had the patience or time.

Don't know what happens if there isn't a shovel!

My ESS Tessa used to go to "be good girl". I changed the words after I was in the laundry getting her dinner ready and she was misbehaving. I said for Gods sake be a good girl. She promptly peed on the carpet in the passageway. Tessa also got to the stage where she would go to the Dutch word "Plashee" (spelling is probably incorrect) which means pee.

Leo and Charley my current dogs sort of know plashee now but not like Tessa did. I'm hoping they will get as good as she was. :confused:

do wee wees is Mitchi's commadn and she does it every time.

She also knows do poos.

Since i know what time of the day she does them, it was easy.

I kept a mind diary of when she went so i could teach her. All my dogs have gone on command.

My rescue pup is learning do wees too.

Mind you my neighbours mustthink i am silly at 2am in the freezing cold saying do wees, come on do wee wees.

Im currently house training my baby and thoought about training her to toilet on command. Its not something that I desperatelly want to achieve, but perhaps. So how do I do it?

Apart from the normal toilet training stuff, and adding a command what else if anything?

Unfortunately I have not tried to do much of this with Bear (I do wish I had of trained this from when he was a wee pup) so I really don’t have any advice, but I have noticed, and I’m sure those who have attended K9 Force's workshops would have also seen, that his dogs to go on command instantly and in a specific place in his yard.

Maybe ask K9 what he does?

Peeing the house when excited? Just wondering, do you fuss her alot, stir her up, very high voice?. Crate, crate, crate, crate. Nervous peeing? UTI???

Sure, some pee in young excitement and they more often than not, settle, but I look at all angles, just in case, health/poor nerves/stress may be the underlying problem.

she will go outside empty herself and if she is stired up a lot in play she will do a little puddle. Might be a nervous trick.

I only have her for 2 weeks.. she isnt toilet trained fully as well. Not only in the house, lets say I come back from work and she sees me she gets excited heaps even before I get to the gate and I can see her squat for a split second.

Could be weak nerves/stress.

For few days in the beginning she'd pee in the crate as soon as Id put her in there, when she was going into histerics about being locked up. She doesnt do it any more.

I have been told that her dam would do a simmilar thing, when she was excited she often pee a little. She grew out of it with time.

she will go outside empty herself and if she is stired up a lot in play she will do a little puddle. Might be a nervous trick.

I only have her for 2 weeks.. she isnt toilet trained fully as well. Not only in the house, lets say I come back from work and she sees me she gets excited heaps even before I get to the gate and I can see her squat for a split second.

Could be weak nerves/stress.

For few days in the beginning she'd pee in the crate as soon as Id put her in there, when she was going into histerics about being locked up. She doesnt do it any more.

I have been told that her dam would do a simmilar thing, when she was excited she often pee a little. She grew out of it with time.

I try to remember with youngsters that virtually everything is their lives is new. There is so much going on, with them learning through, sight, hearing, smell, touch, I therefore try to simplify their requirements, which IMHO, keeps stress levels down.