Lure Coursing & Lure Racing - Victoria.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a great idea for deprived lure coursing dogs. Go to a produce pet store, or one in the outer suburbs that sell stuff for horses. You can buy this nylon horse whip thingi. What you do is tie a plastic bag on the end, and fling it around my dogs go ape over it. The thing is about 15 feet long. I got a nice purple one.

Where did you get yours from? Horseland in Lilydale?

Guest Tess32

I took too many photos again :rofl: They are coming soonish though, they take 500 years to upload. Someone gonna start a thread with their piccies?

I'm sorry to read so many DOLers were there that I didn't meet! I saw Tess32, but after registering with the coursing they told me my dog might not get a run as there were 43 people ahead of me! :)

So they sent me off to the 'racing' section - did any other DOLer's try the lure racing? The organisers were very helpful, even teeing up a race with 'smooth coats' for me as I have concerns about my dog sometimes being reactive to fluffy dogs. Anyway she performed beautifully in her race - tho I am not sure if she was chasing the lure, or just wanting to get to me! She didn't really want to get in that start box tho.

And the coursing people were very kind too. As I was down that end of the field waiting to load by dog into the starting box for a race, I asked one of the organisers of the coursing what number they were up to - and mine had been and gone! So they said 'bring her down and as she hasn't had a go yet we'll slot her in" - bit embarrassed tho when I did this that they bumped me ahead of Tess32. I DO trust that was your second run Tess. :rofl:

Then back to the racing and we had one more race (this time against bigger dogs so no start box) before heading home with one happy (and panting) dog.

Alas my dog remains a lure coursing feral - there is NO way I can keep her calm anywhere NEAR the coursing field - she just wants that dang plastic bag! So I don't get to watch the other dogs :rofl:

One group I did see from the 'racing' side did make me smile however. 3 dallies and a cav - they were all running very fast. But while the dallies were 'on' the lure, the cav was on the other side of the course chasing goodness knows what! :rofl:

Edited by KismetKat

:banghead:

Hi All,

The combined coursing and racing day was a huge success with many new comers getting a good taste. The opportunity to see the experienced dogs run was no doubt great for all.

Love the photos. I particularly like the last one of a few dogs standing together.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are DOLers?

We did have a few minor hiccups on the day but after all, we are only human! Things came together when we took a punt and ran the coursing and racing at the same time.

I can't wait to get our new Border Terrier (Soda) into the racing and earth dog stuff.

The RRCV have alrady discussed holding several twighlight coursing evenings on Sundays throughout daylight savings, possibly from 4.00pm to 8.00pm. Do you think we will get the numbers to make this viable ?

For any of you in the Sale area the East Gippsland Obedience Club have contracted the RRCV to do lure coursing for the local community at The Velodrome in Sale from 10.00am to 12.00 noon on Sunday 13 August 2006. I understand this is a free day but no doubt the club will appreciate any donations.

Thanks for your support on Saturday and I hope we see you all again soon.

Regards,

Darren Stebbings

President RRCV.

Guest Tess32

Darren - Dogz Online = DOL = so people here are Dol'ers :banghead:

Was a great day, thanks again for running it.

We'd be up for some evening runs, it would be much cooler hopefully than some of the summer days were last year.

I think the idea of 'twilight' coursing evenings is an excellent idea. It would be good if you could get some confirmation of numbers beforehand - perhaps some prepaying for registering for runs (or sausages/food) via net bank transfer???

and thanks again from me for oganising last Saturday. The gamble of allowing the 2 events to run concurrently seems to have paid off :banghead:

.... several twighlight coursing evenings on Sundays throughout daylight savings, possibly from 4.00pm to 8.00pm. Do you think we will get the numbers to make this viable ? ... The Velodrome in Sale from 10.00am to 12.00 noon on Sunday 13 August 2006. ....

Darren thanks for the heads-up on Sale, good to know of the opportunity.

And yes evenings would be lovely at KCC - I've missed the last two runs, and the later start would be great for us.

I found a great idea for deprived lure coursing dogs. Go to a produce pet store, or one in the outer suburbs that sell stuff for horses. You can buy this nylon horse whip thingi. What you do is tie a plastic bag on the end, and fling it around my dogs go ape over it. The thing is about 15 feet long. I got a nice purple one.

Where did you get yours from? Horseland in Lilydale?

I bought it from a pet shop in Narre Warren Shopping Centre near JB Hi Fi.