Flea And Worm Control - What Product Do You Use?

BT-Argo

Hi All

I was wondering what products do people use for Flea, Tick and Worm control. I see lots of products treat a range of thing but there is not one product that treats everything or is there?

I was thinking advocate woudl be a good products cause it trast most things except for tapeworm and possibly ticks... I have now heard Sentinel is really good... What products does everyone else use and what are your experience with those versus others if yo used more than than a few over time!

Thanks!

Hi we have used Advocate, heart guard etc in the past... with our new pup we are using sentinal, which covers fleas, heart worm and intestinal worms, so far so good, its great having an all in one and not having 3 or more different pills and potions to remember and administer..

I use Interceptor Spectrum which does the intestinal worms plus heartworm. We've not had a problem with fleas in years, but i do keep some Advantage handy just in case. I also buy mine from www.pricelesspets.com.au - loads cheaper than anywhere i've seen.

George gets Advantix monthly, drontal chewies every 3 months and the Proheart heartworm injection every 12 months.

At the moment Millie is on Advantix, Interceptor Spectrum and drontal puppy tabs but she will be getting the heartworm injection too once she is old enough.

I use advocate on all my cats.

Does everyone use tapeworm tablets? Do you need them in the city? Reason i ask is that most products cover most worm types except tapeworm.

I think i will use advocate and then Tapewormer Tablets which covers it.

I havent got a dog yet but i really enjoy doing all the research so i feel comfortable and prepared when the time comes

Another question: If your dog weighs a maximum of 4kgs and tablets come per 1 * 10kgs do you administer 1/2 a tablet is that correct dosage? or do you still give the full tablet?

and for spot ons if your dog weighs 4kgs is it better to give them a 4-10kgs spot on or the one that says up to 4kgs? (I would ask the vet and breeder at the time )

Edited by Curious

We use Revolution (spot on) once a month for fleas & heartworm & Canex tablets every three months for intestinal worms. We were thinking about switching to Sentinel Spectrum for fleas & heartworms since it comes in a tablet and I really don't like the spot on stuff. However, since it doesn't kill adult fleas, we've decided to stick to Revolution.

We use Revolution (spot on) once a month for fleas & heartworm & Canex tablets every three months for intestinal worms. We were thinking about switching to Sentinel Spectrum for fleas & heartworms since it comes in a tablet and I really don't like the spot on stuff. However, since it doesn't kill adult fleas, we've decided to stick to Revolution.

I used to use Sentinel Spectrum but switched to Revolution for the simple reason of SS doesnt kill adult fleas nor does it kill mites. Currently I use Revolution and Drontal - and will be changing to Canex for worming as soon as I can find the 20Kilo chewies or tablets.

Your right Cavnrott, the person before us did have a dog and my pups have never had fleas so I almost died when I found them all over my pups!!

I had the real estate agent get someone out to spray the house and garden but there are still fleas and its costing me a fortune in products!! We are also getting bites on us!!

To be honest we are at the stage where we may break the lease because the place must be infested!! Surely we would have grounds to break it?

Mel

I had the real estate agent get someone out to spray the house and garden but there are still fleas and its costing me a fortune in products!! We are also getting bites on us!!

Have you tried the watering can thing yet??? :) Fido's Flea and Tick Rinse??? That honestly should work :D Add Eucalyptus Oil from the supermarket as well.

I use Advantix on my dogs 'cos of the ticks and yes, the chooks get lice and give them to everyone which is worse than fleas :shhh: Very expensive exercise but much better than the thousands we have spent on tick serum at the vets.

Worming at the moment is the Gopet 2 in 1 Heartwormer and all wormer once a month :laugh:

Does everyone use tapeworm tablets? Do you need them in the city? Reason i ask is that most products cover most worm types except tapeworm.

I tapeworm my cats using milbemax as necessary. They get the spyometra tapeworm from eating geckos - the flea prevention takes care of the flea tapeworm. My dogs don't get tapewormed as they don't eat offal which is where the hydatid tapeworm comes from - again their flea prevention takes care of the flea tapeworm.

Another question: If your dog weighs a maximum of 4kgs and tablets come per 1 * 10kgs do you administer 1/2 a tablet is that correct dosage? or do you still give the full tablet?

and for spot ons if your dog weighs 4kgs is it better to give them a 4-10kgs spot on or the one that says up to 4kgs? (I would ask the vet and breeder at the time )

Yes - you can give them the 1/2 tablet which equates to a 5kg dosage or you are able to give them the full 10kg tablet without any harm. It would depend on how close to the 5kg mark the dog would be - IMO, it is better to over worm than under worm - within reason of course.

As for the spot ons - I recommend that people whose animals are on the line between dosage sizes go up a size. E.g using you example, for a 4kg dog I would use the 4 - 10kg spot on rather than the 0 - 4kg. Reason being that even a few grams over and the effects can be reduced. If you are unsure though, always consult your vet. :laugh:

Yes - you can give them the 1/2 tablet which equates to a 5kg dosage or you are able to give them the full 10kg tablet without any harm. It would depend on how close to the 5kg mark the dog would be - IMO, it is better to over worm than under worm - within reason of course.

As for the spot ons - I recommend that people whose animals are on the line between dosage sizes go up a size. E.g using you example, for a 4kg dog I would use the 4 - 10kg spot on rather than the 0 - 4kg. Reason being that even a few grams over and the effects can be reduced. If you are unsure though, always consult your vet. :confused:

Hi Georgie-Boy Thanks for your reply.. I would have thought the same thing with spots on go up to next dosage size if the dog is on the border but the pet shop person said to stay with the smaller dosage as a large one poisons them or causes them to get ill...does anyone know if this is true?

T-Time, believe me I have tried it all including the watering can!! I think the place is truly infested!! My poor pups :confused:

From what I have been told, giving the higher dose can not poison the pup at all (as long as it is within the bracket)......

As others have said though, just check with the vet......I know my vet always gives me the higher dose if the weight is border line......

Mel

Hi Georgie-Boy Thanks for your reply.. I would have thought the same thing with spots on go up to next dosage size if the dog is on the border but the pet shop person said to stay with the smaller dosage as a large one poisons them or causes them to get ill...does anyone know if this is true?

The larger dosage would only affect them if you gave a 4kg dog a dosage designed for say a 30kg dog. Most of the spot on smaller dosages are in the range 4 - 11kgs and as such is perfectly safe to use on a borderline 4kg dog. Like I said, if you aren't sure consult your vet. Unfortunately in my personal experience, what pet shop assistants tell you isn't always entirely correct. You could always call the support line for the specific product as well, there is usually a toll free number on the side or back of the box. :confused: