8 Week Whippet

Whippy

We just picked up a gorgeous whippet puppy on Sunday night, she is called Rosie and is lovely, but I have a few questions if anyone can help me!

During the day she is quite happy sleeping on her bed in our family room and I am happy with that too. At night however I am putting her in the laundry, but she whined and cried so loudly it disturbed the neighbours. I therefore brought her bed in to our bedroom and she slept fine there with me getting up every 2/3 hrs to take her out for a wee. At least we all got some sleep that way. I am gradually moving her bed further and further away and it seems to be ok. During the day, I do put her in the laundry sometimes. And i do close the door for short periods of time to get her used to it - she has a nice cosy bed in there too. I have also left her in their alone for short periods whilst I take the kids to school/swimming lessons etc etc. She does cry, but not as much as at night and she there was a small amount of sick on two occasions. At night, she was really distressed though, bouncing off the door and almost yelping. Am I doing the right things? She is doing very well witht he toilet training and I take her outside to the same spot regularly so that she will learn to do it there.

I am just concerned about the sleep thing that I am creating a problme by letting her sleep in our room. Should I just put her in the laundry and shut the door and be done with it? I tried the ticking/radio on/hot water bottle, but it did not seem to make much difference.

All help/advice gratefully received!!!

Thank you

Crate in your room for sure, with LOTS of blankets- my whippet went from the bed when she was a baby to a crate in our room and now sleeps in a crate in the spare room, where a heater is turned on an hour before bed time. She has a single bed thick polar fleece blankie folded on the bottom of her crate, then a queen size mink blanket on top of that to snuggle into (and usually under). Crates are fantastic for toilet training, I don't know what I would have done without mine, and she absolutely adores her crate.

She is only a tiny baby, I would let her sleep in your room (crated) then slowly move her out into the laundry as she settles. Remember they get cold verrry easily!

Guest Pandii

for those of you with large dogs who sleep in your room........................................................

How Big Are Your Rooms?????????????????

for those of you with large dogs who sleep in your room........................................................

How Big Are Your Rooms?????????????????

not very big at all :rofl: Mine is just big enough for a double bed, a dresser, bookcase and a couple of wardrobes. I have one trampoline bed in a corner and a mat next to the bed for the dogs. If I need a crate in my room, ie for a pup, I put it where the trampoline bed is. It can be a bit hard getting around to make the bed properly but so what :)

Our westie cried and cried when we put him in the laundry to sleep as well. So for the first week we had him sleep in a puppy pen in the family room so he could still see what was around him and also kept him out of trouble in relation to wires etc etc.

Thanks for all your advice. Where do they do wees if they are in a crate? I heard they don't like soiling their beds? at the moment, she seems to come to me at the side of the bed during the night and i take that as a sign that she needs to go. If it is less than 2 hrs since she last went, I tell her to go back to her bed. If not then I take her outside. Will she eventually just not need to go during the night? Ultimately I don't really want her in our bedroom and had envisaged her just sleeping in the family room on her bed, like she does during the day. Whiltst she is a puppy though I don't want her to have free reign of the house from her bed in the family room, hence I was putting her in the laundry where I can shut the door. I guess a crate in the family room could be a good option, that way she is where she sleeps normally, but at the same time can't get in to places where she shouldn't be......where would be a good place to get a crate?

one last thing..............it's like having my fourth child and I am knackered!!!!!! :)

Thanks for all your advice. Where do they do wees if they are in a crate? I heard they don't like soiling their beds? at the moment, she seems to come to me at the side of the bed during the night and i take that as a sign that she needs to go. If it is less than 2 hrs since she last went, I tell her to go back to her bed. If not then I take her outside. Will she eventually just not need to go during the night? Ultimately I don't really want her in our bedroom and had envisaged her just sleeping in the family room on her bed, like she does during the day. Whiltst she is a puppy though I don't want her to have free reign of the house from her bed in the family room, hence I was putting her in the laundry where I can shut the door. I guess a crate in the family room could be a good option, that way she is where she sleeps normally, but at the same time can't get in to places where she shouldn't be......where would be a good place to get a crate?

one last thing..............it's like having my fourth child and I am knackered!!!!!! :)

i got my boys crate off ebay, its large and will do him when he is older also it was $50 and that was including postage, went to pet stock the other day and ones like the one i bought him were $100+, he used to wake me up three or four times anight to go to the toilet but now he doesnt unless he really needs to go (have had him three weeks or so now), he hasnt had an accidents in his crate cause like you said they dont like to go where they sleep.

Whippets really prefer to be WITH their people, and a crate in your room would be the best option. Mine actually prefer to be in their peoples beds. :)

The laundry is probably a cold room, sighthounds with very little body fat and such fine skin and coats really feel the cold, a cold puppy is a very unhappy noisy puppy.

A crate in your room covered with a blanket and nice cozy polar fleece blankie to snuggle up with should make for quieter nights and a warmer happier puppy.

Guest Stevie'sGreat
one last thing..............it's like having my fourth child and I am knackered!!!!!! :laugh:

After the first two weeks with our puppy, I sat down with OH and cried about how hard it was - she kept going back inside to wee and poo - I just couldn't believe how tired I was and how much they can take over your life! At least having had three children you've had some sort of practice at this, but I hadn't! Then magically the next day she was perfectly toilet trained, she has been a joy ever since, and now I know that even if she's really rotten one day, the next day will make up for it. I'm not having kids though, way too much work!

Thanks again everyone. I am definitely having post-puppy blues a bit....just lack of sleep I guess!

So, even if she was in a crate, I would still need to get up to take her out to wee. Someone said I am creating a rod for my own back if I keep gettin up to take her out. They said she should be in the laundry and just let her get on with it? I was hoping that by getting up, it would re-inforce that she needs to go outside, and that as she gets older, she will gradually just get better. From various posts, that seems to be the case?

Another question about crates......if they wake during the night do they play happily in the crate or do they need to come out?

P.S. She is called Rosie!

If she wakes during the night, take her outside quietly, no play. Wait til she goes, praise then put her straight back to bed so she doesn't assume she can get you up at all hours to play.

As she gets older she will have the control to hold for longer, so she will eventually sleep through the night. From memory my whippet could hold 8 hours at about 5 months. Before that it ranged from getting up every 2 hours to eventually getting up once in the early morning to let her out, then she would sleep through until we were ready to get up.

So, even if she was in a crate, I would still need to get up to take her out to wee. Someone said I am creating a rod for my own back if I keep gettin up to take her out. They said she should be in the laundry and just let her get on with it? I

"Someone" doesn't appear to know much about training dogs. :rofl:

Do you want this dog to toilet in the house or outside? If its outside then you have to make the effort to get her outside every time she needs to go. As a baby, that's probably once or twice a night.. but as they mature their control improves and they can get through the night.

Every accident she has inside the house (laundry or not) means you'll probably have another 3-5 inside after that. I know people who've refused to get up to their pups who have never effectively toilet trained them - you don't want to go there.

Your laundry is an area of the house known as a "heat sink".. that means that it absorbs heat and is generally the coldest room in your house. You want to confine a fine coated puppy with limited ability to maintain temperature, to a heat sink? Do you coat her at night?

Ideally you want her in your bedroom so you CAN get up and let her out when she needs to go. She will also be happier sleeping with her 'pack'. You bought a social animal - let her be with you as that is what social animals need.

If you hate getting up, install a dog door and train her to use it. However, I can assure you that you can get up, let her out to toilet and get you both back to sleep very quickly after some practice. :laugh:

Thank you poodle fan and lozzie....you have helped me confirm that I am doing the right things. It is always nice to get positive feedback! ANd lozzie - are your whippets as gorgeous as they look? We did our research before we chose whippets, but they do seem to be a good choice for a family pet yes?