I Have A Schnauzer That Is Scared Of Her Bum!

milly01

I know this sounds weird but my poor dog got diarrohea about a month ago and now she is terrified of her bum! She pooped and fluffed all day and was miserable. So now she looks at her bum and runs and hides. How can I get her to forget about it and also why is she farting alot. I think she thinks when she fluffs that the poop is going to come out and shes scared. Its starting to scare me too!! My kids say she has 'Ringaphobia'

I wouldn't say she's phobic about her bum, but rather that there's some discomfort there, either from the diahrrea she had or anal gland problems. Does she lick a lot? Bob occasionally does the same thing as your dog and it's usually anal glands, a bit of poop is stuck, :laugh: or just a sore ring because he's had loose poops.

Bob often turns around and looks when he farts too, as if to say 'who did that'? :laugh: The fact your dog is passing a lot of gas usually points to a stomach upset or some food is not agreeing with her.

She mainly eats supa coat dog biscuits and raw meat or raw chicken necks. She does seem to fart alot which really scares her. She doesnt act like shes sick or anything. She runs around playing and always wants food. Shes a year old and I noticed after I had her desexed she acted weird too. I took her back to the vet then and she said she was acting phsycotic (sorry cant spell) and every time she thought about her belly we had to play and get her mind off it. Perhaps she needs bum & brain scan. She does go down the paddock and eat cow poo. would that make her fart? She doesnt lick and not itchy Would infected anal glands stink because she doesnt smell?

Edited by milly01

anal glands are meant to be released when she does a poo. if she wasnt releasing them, i am sure you would know... it is the most foulest smell around her bum area.

i would try another vet. ive never heard a vet call a dog psychotic.

Milly01,

I would definitely visit another vet and get a second opinion. If she keeps paying attention to her bottom, there is obviously something wrong. Is she desexed? Maybe in season? I would discourage her eating the cow droppings.

Thankyou, I will definately take her to the vet now. I just thought it was all to do with when she had diarrohea. I hope i can wait in the waiting room though because I once smelt that awful smell and was nearly sick and never forgot it!! Must get a doggy book to see why that anal gland thing gets blocked. Yuck. I really have tried to keep her away from the cow poo but she loves it and horse and duck poo too. She is a mini schnauzer so you can image what her beard looks like!! She can army crawl under any fence. Thanks again.

I just cant stop her - she eats everything & I mean not just chew on things. She eats sticks, bark dirt and of course favourite is poo. She never eats dog poo tho. Her mouth is permanetly chewing on something. We live on property and she loves running around the paddock with the other dogs maybe i could get a little muzzle?? oh I hate the sound of that - isnt that cruel?? She is also abit fat from all the eating and I dont feed her very much. I have cooked up some chicken & rice to see if that stops the farting.

Do you have a house yard where there is no cow poo? Assuming that you do, I suggest that you keep her on the lead when she is out in the paddock until you have the poo eating issue resolved. That way you can give her a correction when she goes to eat the poo and she will soon get the idea that she is not supposed to do it.

Bob did the exact same thing this morning, which he hasn't done for ages, then went and ate some grass which reminded me that when I had his anal glands checked and mentioned this behaviour to the vet, the vet said sometimes a blade of grass can irritate, or won't come right out and can cause some dog's a lot of distress. I wonder if the cow poop has bits of fibrous stuff in it that is causing it.

Sounds like her diet is irritating her and lacking is she's so frenzied on eating poo. Try a sensitive stomach formula in some of the better brands or try Eagle Pack. I dont like Supercoat its so dry and bland. That or BARF.

I would take her back to the vet for a complete checkup and discuss dietary issues.

She really only seems scared when she farts. I really do think its from the diarrohea. Last night she was sleeping on her bean bag, jumped up really fast, looked at her bum and skittled up the hallway and jumped on her bed....and then I smelt the fart. Its so funny, but we have been out and then its embarrassing. Shes on the lead looks at her bum then goes round and round my legs trying to get away from her bum. :)

Nekhbet :)

I agree, vet checkup is essential.

Also a good balanced diet for a growing puppy - discuss with your vet. My schnauzers eat mainly raw food, chicken necks and wings, best grade minced beef, chicken, sardines, some veges etc. I feed all bones supervised. If you don't feed her much, I would suggest there is an imbalance in the diet and your dog is hungry, therefore eating whatever she can pick up.

Are you feeding tinned dog food?

Edited by schnauzer