Help! I Need Filling Foods

Aly

HI

Aly is back on her medication for itchy skin and the tablets make her extremely hungry and thirsty, she doesnt whinge cos she is thirsty as she can drink as much as she likes. Its just the food that she wants its driving me nuts, Ive grated a carrot to put into her biscuits but any other suggestions would be just wonderful, she is over weight so have to be careful its all non fattening.

Thanks for your help

Alys mum, Belinda

How about some meaty bones ... it will take her time to eat them and hopefully keep her full for awhile :rofl:

I sometimes give her those big marrow bones, but few people and the vet say the marrow is fattening but Im thinking i might try to scrape out that marrow before I give it to her. What kinda meaty bones if they too small she will not chew it up and she swallows big chunks and then when she has to go potty its a bit of a chore :laugh:

Ally - give her these things INSTEAD of a meal :D

Day One - Bikkies in a Kong Ball - it'll take her ages to get them all out, keep her busy AND give her a meal.

Day Two - lge marrow bone - chew for hours AND give her a meal (remove at the end of the day)

Day Three - mashed pumpkin, a third of her regular diet plus any supplements like tinned fish/glucosamine

Day Four - Regular meal and you put up with the whinging :rofl:

Day 5 - Frozen iceblock of her favourite meal - too cold to eat all at once :rofl:

Day 6 - one whole chicken frame/another large bone

Start it all again. :laugh:

What is she allergic to? :rofl:

Ally - give her these things INSTEAD of a meal :D

Day One - Bikkies in a Kong Ball - it'll take her ages to get them all out, keep her busy AND give her a meal.

Day Two - lge marrow bone - chew for hours AND give her a meal (remove at the end of the day)

Day Three - mashed pumpkin, a third of her regular diet plus any supplements like tinned fish/glucosamine

Day Four - Regular meal and you put up with the whinging :rofl:

Day 5 - Frozen iceblock of her favourite meal - too cold to eat all at once :rofl:

Day 6 - one whole chicken frame/another large bone

Start it all again. :laugh:

What is she allergic to? :rofl:

It seems to be the grasses. Same thing happens every year her parents are the same and brother and sisters, even tho they dont all live here lol,,lol. I keep in contact with the guy we bought her off, so Id say its some kind of family thing. Last week my vet gave me a tube of ResiSOOTHE to put on her tummy and itcy spots that does help the rubbing she does on the floor or comando crawls out side....

OK, so, it's not foods so that's good.

You can also try bathing her in soothing treatments - anything with oatmeal in it or Aloveen products are excellent :laugh:

There is a product called "Swedish Bitters" which is available in all health stores. Quite expensive initially (around $30 mark) but you can dilute it half and half in a spray bottle and every time you see Aly scratching, give her a nice spray. Get throught the coat into the skin. It is very soothing and you will find her scratching will decrease considerably within 48 hours. Keep it in a dark place and return usused contents into the glass bottle. :rofl:

This has worked with my dogs and many others so I hope it is successful for Aly's problem :rofl:

aly..if you give the marrow bones WHOLE.. she will only get a little bit of the marrow at a time....

chicken frames are good..as are brisket bones, kangaroo tails....

even if you don't have a KONG..freeze a milk carton or icecream container full of a "soup"..lots of meat bits and veges & the odd biscuit in some stock.Give her this...she will be busy quite a while!

Thanks guys I went and bought her a kong ball she hasnt had it yet but she got a treat of a marrow bone, shes been happily chomping on that so hope that stops those hunger pains. :laugh:

I have heard people adding gelatin to their dogs meal to fill up their bellies... does this work and is it okay does anyone know?

I like you Aly have a chubby girl who is constantly on diets and is ALWAYS hungry... so some of these ideas are great instead of the old Prescription Diet...

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Just watch chicken frames - I have a chubby "smell food and gains weight" dog and she doesn't get chicken frames any more as they put weight on her like nothing else! Even 3 a fortnight was making a noticeable difference to her weight!

I feed Darce lamb leg bones, trim any excessive fat (rarely need to!) and she eats all but the middle 10 cm or so. :laugh:

Is she on prednil??Have you tried alternative meds like phenergen,zirtec.

Aly is back on the Macrolone tablets and she is also on Claratyne which doesnt seem to be doing much she also has a fish oil tablet in the mornings.