Help ... One Puppy Undoes Other's Collar

dogsonly

This is weird :p ... anyone experienced this. My moggie puppy seems to be undoing the collar of the other dog during the night. We did not experience this problem before he came. I have checked the collar to make sure it is on firmly and that the free end is tucked in but still find it laying about in the morning. Any suggestions? Other than of course taking both collars off at night! (don't wish to do this as the one who's collar is coming off is an escape artist and although I've ensured all protection and care taken - don't wish to lose the puppy without its collar

:eek:

I have a puppy and a kitten here and they take each others collars off :p

I'm thinking of investing in some really good quality collars, I only have cheapies for puppy because she is still growing, and kitty is a foster so tend to get cheapies and let them go with them to their new home.

However I would rather spend extra on good ones then suffer the torment of one of them going missing sans collar :eek:

One of my dogs chews the collar off the other one wrecking it

Aparently lupine collars are guarranteed

Maybe get a collar with a different style clip on it?

LUPINE COLLARS... WILL INVESTIGATE... THANK YOU VERY MUCH

The style of collar was a buckle type one not a clip type.

I found clip collars which have locks locks on the clip to stop it being undone (like a little slide bar). They might work.

Buckles would be easy to undo with the dog's tongue.

Edited for blondeness

Edited by BellasPerson

No way i would leave a colar on a dog while unattended - Too scared they will get stuck while playing and could kill one of the dogs - or they might jump the fence and get stuck.

RAther leave them naked while at home!

My pup only got a collar on the weekend because previously the older one would always go for her collar and pull it off quite violently. Then chew the collar. So far so good with the new collar BUT now I am leaving it off her when I'm not home. Thank you for that information.

Terrorbull had a client whos dog killed the other due to the collar strangling the other dog whilst playing as the locking mechanism tighten during play

Ooohhh that it pretty scary :)

Mine can't get out, but I would still worry if they did and didn't have a collar on.....

They are microchipped but still would rather if they were found to get a phone call than have them end up at a pound/vet while details of microchip went through.

I have found a couple of dogs with collars/tags and owners were most relieved and grateful for the phone call.

The number of dogs killed by there collars is quite high .Most people buy collars that look pretty or jazzy but are so unpracticable for what the job is.

Many put the collars on so tight if the did get stuck they couldnt slip out .

The clients who lost there dog where devasted they came home from work & it was dead strangled with the collar so tight ,they dont wear collars now.

Our dogs never wear collars .its fort knox & all gates are padlocked so no idiots can open any gate here .

Yes, no easy answers... No collar, no identification other than microchip then potential huge costs and council not happy with you if dog found outside. If collar, risk of hurt from catching on something. Given she is able to have collar removed my guess is less risk of hurt from catching on something. I took their collars off when they were sleeping inside as it was risky on the crate etc. But they have lots of room to move around outside and no real catching areas for their collars. Now I'm feeling guilty even saying this but I would like to continue using their collars and identification tags unless someone can come up with a magical cuffed collar that is invisible - maybe something for CSIRO or the scientists amongst this community!

Yes, no easy answers... No collar, no identification other than microchip then potential huge costs and council not happy with you if dog found outside. If collar, risk of hurt from catching on something. Given she is able to have collar removed my guess is less risk of hurt from catching on something. I took their collars off when they were sleeping inside as it was risky on the crate etc. But they have lots of room to move around outside and no real catching areas for their collars. Now I'm feeling guilty even saying this but I would like to continue using their collars and identification tags unless someone can come up with a magical cuffed collar that is invisible - maybe something for CSIRO or the scientists amongst this community!

www.breakawaycollar.com

Take the collar off the one who is not the escape artist :D (If that's the one also pulling off the collar :))

Microchip the escape artist and improve your fencing or crate the dog overnight - take the collars off altogether overnight if that is the only time it's happening :)

I'm another one for "no collars" after I had 2 youngsters playing in the wee hours of the morning. One got it's jaw caught in the others collar and then they both panicked resulting in the collar winding up tight and choking the other.

Luckily, we heard a kerfuffle, went to investigate, found one dog lapsing into unconsciousness and the other totally tangled and bleeding profusely with teeth stuck firmly in the collar. We needed a knife to cut through the collar 'cos it was so tightly wound, we couldn't undo the collar at the buckle. Talk about adrenalin rush at 4am!

Brought the unconscious dog around quickly - she was fine with bruising around her neck and the other dog lost 2 teeth and a damaged tongue (which also healed). :rofl: I don't put collars on my dogs anymore :D