Chewing, Chewing And More Chewing

westiefan

When does the chewing stop? My guy is now 7 months old and we had a month with no chewing, then this week it has started all over again, he chewed through the heater cord (which he managed to drag across the room and turn around so he could get at it) and now he is chewing the timber deck. :D

I spread some chilli on a few things to deter him, however he liked the taste

at what age roughly does it stop?

Hey westiefan you want to try this on timber? - tiger balm. I discovered it by accident, just a little smear on the wood, my dog hates the smell. Or get the citronella.

ETA : if it's done on the deck timber which is porous, the dog won't get to ingest it that much. Don't put it on none porous surfaces.

Edited by flycow

*gulp*

We have a 10 week old puppy at the moment, who is chewing everything and anything.... it's been a few years since we've had a puppy (6 to be exact) so it's a bit of the "oh that's right... they chew everything". Was hoping she'd grow out of it sooner rather than later but maybe I am fooling myself! One thing that helps (in terms of how much is destroyed) is crate training... so if I can't supervise her directly (I have young kids too) I can pop her in her crate with a chicken wing... she's happy in there and it has the added bonus of getting the kids out of her face.

My 4yr old "pup" has chewed through:

- the power supply for the aircondition unit,

- power cables for the fish pond pump,

- the whole back yard of microsprays,

- decapitated a palm tree (about 15cm thick base)

- $100's of dollar of plants (particularly loves azalea's)

- Every plastic pot (with and without plants)

- My car

- Dog beds

- Corner of a brick which is part of the back step (the one closest to his bed of course)

... just to name a few things.

He loves chilli, tabasco sauce, the "Stop bite" nail polish and every spray sold in petshops to stop chewing .... so ... good luck :D

I think threatening to have him desexed without anaesthetic and using a blunt spoon has started to work ..... :) :D

Edited by Tilly

My first dobe had "issues" with things like hoses...would chew them into 5cm lengths! ...trailer wires...thermarests....windscreen wipers (yep! he slid the rubber right out of the housing!) but his piece de reisistance was the mudflaps on the police car!!! :)

tisha..my bullie x managed to destroy (beyond recognition) a $2000 couch! (she was lucky to survive that one!)

Daim's was pretty good...he only killed 2 beanbags...oh & mum's roses (because they used to bite him! ;))

Zillah's toll so far is a few small holes in sundry rugs...1 beanbag, 1 sock..he's trying for my runners, but I keep catching him! haha! and the corner of a cushion. mind you, he's had 2 full kills on 2 chew toys..partial kill on the 3rd one & I have another in the cupboard in readyness! :banghead:

he seems to be getting the message (slowly) that chew toys are the only permissable chew toys! ;)

Aus

BTW (he's 16 mths!)

My first dobe had "issues" with things like hoses...would chew them into 5cm lengths! ...trailer wires...thermarests....windscreen wipers (yep! he slid the rubber right out of the housing!) but his piece de reisistance was the mudflaps on the police car!!! :)

tisha..my bullie x managed to destroy (beyond recognition) a $2000 couch! (she was lucky to survive that one!)

Daim's was pretty good...he only killed 2 beanbags...oh & mum's roses (because they used to bite him! :rofl:)

Zillah's toll so far is a few small holes in sundry rugs...1 beanbag, 1 sock..he's trying for my runners, but I keep catching him! haha! and the corner of a cushion. mind you, he's had 2 full kills on 2 chew toys..partial kill on the 3rd one & I have another in the cupboard in readyness! :)

he seems to be getting the message (slowly) that chew toys are the only permissable chew toys! :rofl:

Aus

BTW (he's 16 mths!)

YEp, i had a bean bag death - 3 years later and i still find the beans!!

Easy way of stoping them chewing when you arent there, dont allow them to have access to that part of the house .

Atlas gets no freedom in the house. He can only stay where i can see him. Kaos (if i could get this pooing in the middle of the night thing worked out) woudl have full run of the house. She killed my mobile phone and a remot when i first got her, but she doenst chew anything but her toys now

kamazz, I had the opposite problem to yours, hehe.

My last dog chewed when I was around, and very well behaved when I was out. He would catch my eye contact and grabbed something in front of me and happily chewing away. Such an attention seeking b**t*rd. LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread after doing a search on chewing :confused:

My Irish Wolfhound Bree has been very good, I got her when she was 3 months old and haven't really had a chewing problem, only one fr two things. But she has just turned 6 months old and for the last few days has been wanting to chew everything! I guess she is teething. She is supervised while in the house, so can't get into too much mischief, but I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for good chew toys I can give her?

Pup would be teething again around this age, make sure you give them plenty of good things to chew like a bone, also when teething we freeze the kong with either vegemite or yoghurt inside to give them some relief. Try rubbing dencorub on things that you don't want chewed but test it first to make sure it won't harm the surface.

Pup would be teething again around this age, make sure you give them plenty of good things to chew like a bone, also when teething we freeze the kong with either vegemite or yoghurt inside to give them some relief. Try rubbing dencorub on things that you don't want chewed but test it first to make sure it won't harm the surface.

Ohh my 10 week old beagle pup wont stop chewing!!!

She decided mums neck would be nice for a chew yesterday! not impressed.

She goes through these moods where she turns 'evil' if one would call it that and chews hands, shirts everything. Im not quite sure what to do.