Ears! Two Issues

Kodiak

Just thought I might post this to see if anyone has any good ideas..

Our Sibe has had many problems with his ears (and I thought upright ears were meant to be easier to care for :) ).

He has really gunky ears - we have been to the vet and tried many things to settle them down but nothing seems to work for long. It helps to clear it up and the problem is back as soon as treatment stops. Would welcome ideas if anyone has had a similar problem. He scratches them a lot and I know when they are getting really bad because he yelps when he is scratching them. The gunk is kind of moist but also a bit scaly ( that probably doesn't make sense). Antibiotic/antifungal/antibacterial ointment doesn't seem to work.... hibiclens will get the gunk dry so the ear can be cleaned out. Needless to say he hates me coming anywhere near him with anything that is used to clean his ears.

Our aussie (puppy) hold one of her lovely floppy ears back all the time. This ear also folds over easily - if she goes frapping around the yard she will have that ear folded back so that we can see inside her ear. The other ear seems fine. Am wondering if this is something that will stay with her, is part of growing and may go, or is something that we need to check the vet about. We will have a vax appointment this weeks so I can check about it then.

Thanks for reading and for any advice...

Our cat had a similiar problem, and we never found out what caused it...BUT the one thing that did clear it was the all in one treatment revolution...cleared his ears up great!!! His gunk was greasy, yet flaky...similiar to greasy heel in horses.

I wonder if something like that is worth a shot...

Am going to do a separate post on this issue. My foster dog has terrible ears that were neglected for years which caused the ear canal to almost close over.

She has gunky ears and holds one downwards.

Very difficult to deal with, have been operated on twice now - March and then last week. She had perforated eardrums which haven't grown back and both ears were filled with pus, both times, causing her dreadful pain.

Have had a 6 month daily antibiotic drop/ear cleaning regime to no avail. Vet is now recommending removal of ear canals. If only she'd been looked after properly this would not have happened. I'm devastated because this is VERY MAJOR surgery but the ear infection is within the bones and will keep returning, in spite of all the antibiotics she is on. :)

Edited by dogmad

We clean out Indy's ears regularly (ie 2-3 times per week) with those Aristapet moistened wipes. We don't need to do Keg's (generally) as Indy licks them out for him. They're beagles.

With the change in weather (increased humidity) we've had him on a course of Panalog ointment. It's prescription only. As we took Keg to the vet at the same time, the vet did a quick check and said his ears were on the cusp of getting manky. Indy's ears got to the point where we were wiping them out dailyfor about 5 days, and it wasn't enough. Hopefully we've got it cleared up.

Maybe a different medication? We're on the 2nd tube of ointment for Indy (lasts a week) - vet says if it hasn't cleared at the end that a different type would need to be tried. But I think it will be fine - he seems back to normal now, but will continue for another 5 days.

Kodiak, mind if I ask what your Sibe's diet is?

Kodiak, mind if I ask what your Sibe's diet is?

He's on Eukanubra with some raw bones and table scraps (no onion, etc).

We can keep on top of it with the hibiclens but I don't like what it might be doing to his skin (it's not exactly gentle)... I am going to take him to the vet for what feels like appointment 100 this week. I look in his ears everyday and we get on a regime of washes (which he absolutely loathes - he's big and very strong so it takes a big effort which is why I am keen to STOP it happening if I can... so far I don't think the vet has an understanding of what it is).

Do you think there is something diet related we can try (I am up to try anything - within reason of course :) )?

Mitchi has manky ears and i went to the vet an he gave me EPI-OTIC. I use it weekly or bi-weekly depending on the gunk.

You are meant to squeeze a little in the ear and then massage an dwipe out with a cotton ball.

I find it works better and is easier for me and Mitchi to put some on a cotton ball and wiipe out or on a cotton tip then wipe out.

I tend to go through 10 or so cotton tips and numerous coton balls but it cleans them up really well.

I think it was about $10 at the vets.

Good luck.

Bob gets yeasty ears which we treat with Surolan from the vet. You do need to keep using it for much longer than the recommended time. Yeast is really hard to get rid of as it's on the skin all the time anyway.

In regards to being food related. It could be, you would need to do an elimination diet to find out what it is. Bob's ears flare up within a few hours if he gets any corn.

I would NOT be using Revolution on your Aussie Shep UNLESS he/she has been DNA Tested as Clear for Ivermectin Sensitivity as Collies, Aussies, Shelties and a few other breeds have a mutation in the MDR gene and if given this drug, even as a sopt on, it can prove fatal

PM me if you want more info

Often it can be a combination problem due to the environment in the ears it is great for the production of yeast, bacteria and ear mites all able to thrive in a concurrent relationship within the ear. I would suggest that you have the ear swabbed and thye content diagnosised microscopically so that you know what you are treating. perhaps you may need to treat a couple of conditions. Once under control you will then be able to maintain the ears in good health by using a regular cleaning regime using something like epi otic or similiar.

We have had the ear swabbed - a number of times but it turns up nothing... possibly because we have usually been treating it with wiping it out with the hibiclens...

It rarely bothers him but does seem worse in humid weather (so yeast/fungal or bacteria makes sense). The ear always smells okay - there has never been pus. I am just sick of the battle with him to clean them... he is usually pretty good but I think he (like many dogs) hates liquid in his ears.

They look much better again now... just wish I could cure it rather than keep treating it if that makes sense. I don't mind cleaning the ears if he needs it but it'd be nice if it were a once a week thing instead of daily and also that he didn't mind.

The Aussie puppy doesn't have a problem with the inside of her ear... just the posture she holds it in is kind of strange - one ear sits in a floppy pose, the other is held back always. The held back ears shows no sign of injury, isn't painful, doesn't look like it has anything inside it. I am just wondering a little if I should be worrying about it, is it just something that happens to some dogs. This is just curiosity on my part.

Thanks for the warning Inspector Rex - her breeder also cautioned me so I am very aware that I need to avoid it. Her dam has been tested and I am waiting on the results (sire has been cleared). Another good reason to buy from a responsible breeder!

I am going to try the natural remedies on the chance that they won't dry his skin out as much as the hibiclens does.

My sheltie often has build up of wax - so I clean his ears once a week with a Malaseb dilution (1 part Malaseb to 30 parts Saline). He suffered an ear infection last year, and ran away from me every time I went near him with a bottle of drops - he hated it, and I hated doing it too...so I know what you mean about 'the battle'. Whatever drops you put in your furkids ears - warm it up first! When I was using bottles of drops (epi-otic etc.) I would warm the bottle in a sink of hot water (similar I suppose to warming baby's bottles) so it's not such a 'shock' to them when you're putting the drops in their ears...I now heat the saline first and then add the malaseb - he seems to tolerate this much better now!

Good luck!

He isn't happy with me though - I am doing the natural remedies that Leenie suggested and they are working a treat (Thanks Leenie!!). I am warming up the solution but it isn't making much difference - he hates it anyway. He is such a strong dog that it is a total pain wiping his ears out... but at least they are looking healthy again.

The swab turned up nothing yet again ... but his ears are looking healthy again - perhaps it was just the change in weather/humidity as someone mentioned. The vet said to keep on doing what we are doing since they have improved so much (she hadn't heard about the natural remedies and was a bit taken aback by the garlic smell :rofl: )

Fingers crossed for no further flare ups!