To Crate Or Not To Crate....

nivia

Hi Everyone, I just got a Black Lab on Saturday, my first puppy :rofl: I want to do whats best for him. He is only 9 weeks old and just so cute. I have been reading a few forums and you guys talk about a crate. I understand what it is but how often do you use them? Why use them and should I crate him over night? what about toilet breaks etc??? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to get it right so he grows up happy. He is still whining and against my better judgment I bring him inside at about 5.30am so he doesnt wake the neighbours. This is my first post of many over the next few months, all feedback is welcomed.

Thank you

Nivia :rofl:post-12384-1157962486_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HI, cute puppy.

I hve crated Mitchi since we got her. i took her out for wee pbreaks for the first few weeks until she stopped crying for the loo.

She is really good. She is in it at night from when we go to bed until we get up. She is outside during the day most days now.

I have not had any issues with her and hte crate. I wish Barker had been with us since 8 weeks so i culd have trained him but he freaks out.

I think crating is a great tool if used correctly.

If you read through all the information your pup's breeder supplied, there may be information about crate training and the purposes it serves. Also, this should include diet/feeding regime that's recommended/used by the breeder, general pup training info and toilet training how to's, and what to buy for your pup's health, safety and amusement. You might also find some info about using toys and alone training b/c these things are important if you want a pup that's well-adjusted to your absences.

HTH. :rofl:

Okay first questions is the dog going to be a housedog??

Crates have so many benefits,time out for pup such as slepping,during thunderstorms many dogs feel very happy sitting in there crate,extreme heat & keeping dog quiet,sickness,injury,visiting friends /rellies & being able to pop dog in crate,travelling in the car if you have a wagon.Many caravan parks ,motels will allow a crated dog in some rooms

If unruley visitors come & its safer for the dog to be away quietly.

If dog requires vet stay its already use to being crated

I have showdogs so my dogs are all crate trained but even if i didnt show just the thought that i could place my dog happily in a crate if that moment needed it is so good

Hi, Thanks for the reply's. He is going to be an outside dog. He is happy sleeping on the back porch with a blanket ad a doll at the moment but I think its important hat he has "his" space too as I have a 9 yr old and a 2 yr old. I didnt get any info from the breeder about diet, exercise, crating, toys.. infact i walked out with the dog and a have a nice day. Thank god you guys are all here :rofl: I will take him to puppy school though so he will be trained properly.

Thanks

Nivia

Lovely lab you have :rofl:

I think a crate is a great idea to give him space away from the kids. You have to teach the kids not to disturb the pup when he's in the crate. :rofl: Some people have suggested crate training children as well :rofl:

I throw a cover (old sheet, tarp whatever) over my crates to make the dogs feel like their in their own little den. They love their crates. ;)

Have fun. Buying my first puppy was the smartest thing I ever did :rofl:

Hi and welcome :rofl:

My dogs are inside dogs, i crate them at night. And sometimes during the day if needed (only for a few hours) I find that most of the time they put them selves to bed!!

Can i ask where you got the puppy from?

I didnt get any info on crate training, but did get a diet sheet with Atlas (as well as a copy of his parents health checks)

I'm with cavNrott about having a 9 week old puppy outside all the time :eek: Your puppy is only a baby :o

Is there an area you could put him in at night-time? Like a laundry with outside access or something? Somewhere CLOSE to you?

Crate training is a very useful tool and all my dogs are crate-trained - both the inside dogs and the outside ones :rolleyes: It is like a cave for them and they feel safe and secure. It is also excellent for car trips, vets and visiting the in-laws :vomit: (Take the crate and if they are in a strange environment, they settle down straight away - it's just like taking your bedroom with you! :laugh:)

skwo2 - your Bichon will be better off in a little crate :D As someone else said, they can get out of the bars in children's play pens. It's also about having a "den" and the smaller the dog, the smaller the den ;) A puppy pen is a great open area for during the day so the little one doesn't trash the place and you can keep your eye on puppy playing safely. :D

Thanks again for the reply's. I do let him inside sometimes usually at night when the kids are in bed, he curls up at my feet and just sleeps. He is on a mat just outside the back door and the curtains are only drawn at night when I go to bed, I want him to see what we are doing etc. What are some games I can play with him? I bought him some chew toys yesterday as he chewed my old thongs and he seems to like them. Loves his dolly :laugh: I bought a crate of ebay so I think I will let him sleep inside at night but I am in a unit with a medium size yard but no laundry access to outside :rolleyes: BTW my lab name is TURBO.

Thanks

Nivia

Shame on the breeder for not providing you with any information. Does this breeder advertise here on DOL? If so, it would be a good idea to let them know that you would like the standard info pack that all good registered breeders provide when a pup goes to a new home.

As for your pup's sleeping arrangements, please bring him inside at night. This is where the crate comes in handy. A baby should not sleep outside IMO. He's far too young to cope with separation from his pack (leaving mum and litter mates, then being relegated to the outdoors when he gets to his new family). And his body isn't accustomed to keeping him warm when nobody else is around to help (such as his mum and littermates).

What size kennel are you using? How much bedding is there inside the kennel? Is the door off-set so that the pup can curl up out of the breeze? Does the kennel door face the house so he can see his family?

Please contact your breeder again and seek further help from him/her, b/c what they've done in allowing you to take home a pup with no support or info on how to raise him, is appalling. :rolleyes:

I'd be interested in the breder's prefix so I can contact them - a PM would be great. Thank you!

Nivia

Sounds like you'll have it all set soon. It is up to you whether your dog lives inside or out. You will find some very passionate people here with their own preferences.

Regarding games, he is a bird dog like my two. They like playing fetch and carrying around squeaky toys (a squeaky duck has been the favourite so far). Every dog has different tastes in toys, at puppy preschool they had a sample so the pups could choose their favourite.

I leave all my shoes inside or in plastic containers. Bruno can open most of these though by tipping them upside down and dragging them over rough surfaces. He is amazing at getting the things he wants :laugh:

Labs and my GSPs are big and bouncy so make sure you never let him jump up on you and teach him to sit right now. Make him sit before opening doors, before getting patted etc. There is nothing worse than a big jumpy dog :rolleyes:

Have fun :D

Edited by BellasPerson

I dont think the breeder I go Tuurbo from was registered. I got him from Greenbank in Qld. I didnt think I needed all that info to get ready for a puppy so I am not upset at her or anything. I wont be getting the crate until next week ( funds a little low after spending so much on Turbo ) He is happy enough. He is under a covered pation with 2 blankets a dolly and chew toys. He doesnt cry at night when Im sleeping. :thumbsup: Thanks again for all the useful information its been a great help. I have been teaching him not to chew or dig and to sit before I pat him, dont want him to knock our toddler over. Training is so important I think.

Thanks

nivia

LOL beat me to it TB...

In all honesty LM go backwards a step... not all breeders believe in crating so probably would not give info on it....

Take 3 steps back & breathe a bit you are not the PET police.....

ETA:

Nivia Turbo looks absolutely lovely....

If you do a search for crate training there are some great threads on DOL..

Edited by bommy

Nice to know how some people are instant experts

Oh thats right you arent a registered breeder are you LM???????

I didnt include info in my puppy packs on crate training, so I must be a bad breeder. If you care to listen to the reason, it is because with anything dog related in the TRAINING and FEEDING departments (and many other things also) what works for one MAY NOT WORK for the other. I do speak to my puppy buyers about all sorts of things and do explain to them what works for me but also warn that I am by no means an expert and that what works for me may not work for them, it is called trial and error.