To Crate Or Not To Crate....

nivia

Just curious, Lillysmum - I see you think registered breeders give out a "standard" puppy pack. Do you mean "standard", as in all the same? Or was that just an expression?

Interested to see if people think reg. breeders do have a standard puppy pack (maybe approved by the state CC's?).

I suppose, though, when someone asks here what breeders put in their puppy packs, we usually say more or less the same things...and most of us have picked up a couple of things to add to ours. So, maybe you would think "standard"

And - Nivia - I'm always astounded that breeders' don't at least give buyers a diet sheet and worming and vaccination dates, particularly as non registered pups cost as much as registered ones now, and usually without all the tests done on the parents.

Edited by Jed

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont think the breeder I go Tuurbo from was registered. I got him from Greenbank in Qld. I didnt think I needed all that info to get ready for a puppy so I am not upset at her or anything. I wont be getting the crate until next week ( funds a little low after spending so much on Turbo ) He is happy enough. He is under a covered pation with 2 blankets a dolly and chew toys. He doesnt cry at night when Im sleeping. :D Thanks again for all the useful information its been a great help. I have been teaching him not to chew or dig and to sit before I pat him, dont want him to knock our toddler over. Training is so important I think.

Thanks

nivia

Excellent work nivia :thumbsup: . He sounds very good if he's not crying at night :D Glad you're teaching the sit and doing training. From the stories I hear on DOL I would be very surprisded if you could stop a lab chewing :o but it's worth a try :)

If you need to confine him before you get your crate you may be able to modify the playpen with some cardboard or something and use that. He's not big enough to knock it over........yet :D

My Bruno is an escape artist. He got out a locked dog door yesterday. His crate is the only place I know he's secure :D . Thank goodness he doesn't do escape tricks often .

-----------------------------

You have been caught in a minor recurring DOL argument :rofl: Doesn't happen very often, we're really nice here :o

Hello, you have a very cute puppy!

Good luck with him... you will find many people will help you on here. Make sure you do searches on past posts too, it is amazing the amount of information you can find on this forum.

Crate training is great and works a treat if done correctly.

Gee my breeder must have been dreadful. I didnt receive info about crate training in my 'standard' puppy packs :) Are you still eating that processed food, LM?

Goodluck with your puppy, nivia. Very cute :thumbsup: Maybe you could set him up in the laundry to sleep at night?

Shame on the breeder for not providing you with any information. Does this breeder advertise here on DOL? If so, it would be a good idea to let them know that you would like the standard info pack that all good registered breeders provide when a pup goes to a new home.

I cannot believe the amount of crap that dribbles out of your mouth. :thumbsup:

My puppy pack contains very little information about crate training.

Where Does Your Stafford Sleep?

You may choose to buy or build your Stafford a kennel if he or she is too sleep outside. Please make sure that your kennel is large enough for your Stafford to lie comfortably and stand up, they do not need to be any larger and are warmer at the right size. Make sure that the door is big enough for your Stafford to walk through but small enough to help keep draughts out. Place the kennel somewhere sheltered such as under the patio or by the back door. This will encourage your Stafford to use its kennel. A bed such as tramp bed or metal bed with replaceable mats are also good as they keep your Stafford up off the ground and give him or her somewhere to lay during the day.

If your Stafford chews bedding a good quality soft straw in his or her kennel is an inexpensive alternative.

Where Do Our Stafford’s Sleep?

This is not for everyone, but all of our Stafford’s sleep inside in a dog crate. If you would like to purchase a crate and have your Stafford sleep inside this is probably best for both you and your Stafford.

Crate training is not difficult and we can assist you to do this. It gives us peace of mind knowing that our dogs are safe and not keeping the neighbours up by barking.

We use our crates at shows and also if we take our dogs on holidays. We can visit friends and relatives and can keep our dogs in their crates for much of the day, of course we exercise them and let them out for toilet stops. The crate is also excellent in the car. All or our dogs travel in crates whilst puppies and this teaches them the correct way to behave in the car. Once your Stafford is older you can let them sit on the seat (restrained) and they do not find the car over stimulating once they have been trained in the crate.

Please read and approve for me L.M. I would like an expert opinion on what should be in my packs according to you. I have noted hat you neither own or breed the O.P's choice of dog, nor mine, so it should be interesting to have your expert opinion on both breeds.

Looking forward to it

Edited by Warley

Nivia

Your pup looks lovely.

I crate trained all mine from pups, and I no longer need to use them, but we have one outside and one inside, so they have their own 'space' if and when they want it, away from the others.

However, you have been given great advice here, especially about bringing your pup in at night, at least for a while. There is little point in crate training, if your pup will be living outside, and yet you don't seem to want to take the advice given, saying "he's happy enough". Correct me if I'm wrong, but these guys who are advising you are the knowledgable ones, hence you coming here for advice, so please take it !

Shame shame shame on both of you, Warley and Eridor. Maybe you should be supplying a free Delta course to all of your puppy buyers as well. What's a few grand between friends, eh?

I have considered paying for obedience for the first year for my puppy buyers, but a puppy pack has to stop somewhere. No point selling the puppy along with goods, to the value of your dog, in your puppy pack. :thumbsup:

Yes, shame on me and shame on Eridor for not doing it the right way.

Nivia, you have a very cute, young baby. If you would like any help, not a lacture about what should be in a breeders pack, please feel free to ask. :)

I have considered paying for obedience for the first year for my puppy buyers, but a puppy pack has to stop somewhere.

Only a year Warls? And no no no - puppy packs shouldnt stop. They should go on for ever. Throw in your house and car as well. :thumbsup::) :D

However, you have been given great advice here, especially about bringing your pup in at night, at least for a while. There is little point in crate training, if your pup will be living outside, and yet you don't seem to want to take the advice given, saying "he's happy enough". Correct me if I'm wrong, but these guys who are advising you are the knowledgable ones, hence you coming here for advice, so please take it !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have taken the advice I have been given. I want him to be happy. I didnt sign up for a lecture I wanted some advice and I have gotten it. I bring him inside as soon as he starts crying I am not so cruel to leave a crying puppy outside if he is unhappy. I didnt get info on how to raise a puppy and I didnt het a book to raise my children and they turned out very nice if I do say so myself. Firm but loving is my motto and I am sure I will be able to rais a happy healthy and well adjusted puppy too. Thank you to everyone who has given great advice, I HAVE taken it on board and I AM putting it into practice.

Your all very passionate about your pets and thats fantastic, but there is no need to be rude to people that are not as well informed, or equipt for there new additions. It takes time and practice, were not all born puppy experts.

Thank you

Nivia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have taken the advice I have been given. I want him to be happy. I didnt sign up for a lecture I wanted some advice and I have gotten it. I bring him inside as soon as he starts crying I am not so cruel to leave a crying puppy outside if he is unhappy. I didnt get info on how to raise a puppy and I didnt het a book to raise my children and they turned out very nice if I do say so myself. Firm but loving is my motto and I am sure I will be able to rais a happy healthy and well adjusted puppy too. Thank you to everyone who has given great advice, I HAVE taken it on board and I AM putting it into practice.

Your all very passionate about your pets and thats fantastic, but there is no need to be rude to people that are not as well informed, or equipt for there new additions. It takes time and practice, were not all born puppy experts.

Thank you

Nivia

Best of luck with your puppy!

Just one little thing, if you go running to the puppy everytime he crys, he will do it all the time when he wants you to get him!! Dogs are better at training us then we are of training them!!

Please dont get scared of us. We want updates on how the pup is going!!!

ETA:

Crate training is not only good so a puppy can have somewhere to sleep at home, but also incase they have to goto the vets. If they are used to being in a cage, then they will not panic as much! Also, it is great for car travel. If you have the room, but a crate in the back of your car, puppy is safe, wont be jumping around and hurt itself!

Edited by TrustMe

I bring him inside as soon as he starts crying I am not so cruel to leave a crying puppy outside if he is unhappy.

and this

He is on a mat just outside the back door and the curtains are only drawn at night when I go to bed, I want him to see what we are doing etc.

your puppy gets frustrated watching you "play" inside and being unable to participate, dogs are pack animals they like to be in the company of the pack memmbers which you are for the puppy. that is why the puppy cries.

Bring him inside play all you like than put him outside for the night anc draw the curtains.

You can have a crate inside the house and he can be there int he crate but with you at the same time.

Both of my dogs are crate trained and I can lock them up any time for extended periods of time if need be, they also choose someitmes to get in the crate just to rest, although they preffer the sofa a lot more :laugh:

My breeeder did in fact recommend a crate. The 'puppy pack' was a bound book with breed information and standard, puppy training tips, feeding and diet recommendations, BARF recipes from Dr. Billinghurst, plus a list of foods NOT to feed the pup.

The book also contained a number of pages about crate training. How to do it, when to do it and how to use the crate to assist with house training. It also contained information about fear periods the pups go through, what to expect and how to handle it. Puppy behaviour such as mouthing and jumping were explained and how to prevent the behaviour.

There was the original pedigree certificate as well as photo copies of the pedigrees of both parents and copies of all health certificates. Copies of the show cetificates of both parents, their pictures and a lot more useful infomation.

It was really a very comprehensive and helpful book and I referred to it on many occasions. Much emphasis was placed on the importance of obedience training.

This was with my Rottweiler pup.

The Cavalier breeders did not provide a puppy pack but did give an info sheet on diet.

Thanks cavNrott, I didn't think I had imagined seeing such information packs from registered breeders - your post confirms that for me. :laugh:

Even pet shops (shudder) hand out a "standard" pack of information, as do many shelters, when someone obtains a pup or dog. I don't see why some of you think it's OK to attack me when I suggested the "breeder" in question ought to have done something similar. I think it's common sense, especially for novice owners or someone new to a particular breed, to have an information pack handed out with every pup. It would save a lot of questions from new owners if they have the info right there in front of them from someone "expert" in the breed of dog chosen. I don't think that's a lot to expect or too much to ask. :laugh:

Thanks cavNrott, I didn't think I had imagined seeing such information packs from registered breeders - your post confirms that for me. :laugh:

Even pet shops (shudder) hand out a "standard" pack of information, as do many shelters, when someone obtains a pup or dog. I don't see why some of you think it's OK to attack me when I suggested the "breeder" in question ought to have done something similar. I think it's common sense, especially for novice owners or someone new to a particular breed, to have an information pack handed out with every pup. It would save a lot of questions from new owners if they have the info right there in front of them from someone "expert" in the breed of dog chosen. I don't think that's a lot to expect or too much to ask. :laugh:

Nah, its ok, can you pm me your details? im going to give it to both my dogs breeders, they can just stick that onthe back of the papers and tell people to ring you if they need anything

We got a puppy folder as well - it was unexpected because we were so naive when we got D. I can't remember if it had anything about crating - I suppose not. But it was definately very helpful, I got the impression from here and from chatting with breeders that most people send home puppies with information :laugh:

I think it's common sense, especially for novice owners or someone new to a particular breed, to have an information pack handed out with every pup. It would save a lot of questions from new owners if they have the info right there in front of them from someone "expert" in the breed of dog chosen. I don't think that's a lot to expect or too much to ask. :eek:

And it's common sense to read nivia's posts to figure out she bought Turbo from an unregistered breeder. Stick your slams against registered breeders under your pillow with all of your incredible knowledge, LM.

Goodluck with the crate training niv. Just make it like a little den for Turbo and it wont take long, lovey. Dont forget to post more pics. :laugh: