Do You Clip Your Own Doggie?

Fair enough if you are a groomer or a breeder, but what about the rest of you dog owners? If you have a dog that needs clipping do you do it yourself?

How did you learn, if you do?

I'm just curious is all, mine will have regular grooming trips, I don't even cut my kids' hair.

ED piccies page 4

Edited by Becky in Oz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured that it's easier and cheaper for me to buy the stuff and do it myself.

I was shown how to groom my little girl a few weeks back by her breeder's friend.

I recently tried it on my foster :p It didn't turn out too badly. She definitely looks better now that the fur's given time to settle down :)

I figured that it's easier and cheaper for me to buy the stuff and do it myself.

I was shown how to groom my little girl a few weeks back by her breeder's friend.

I recently tried it on my foster :o It didn't turn out too badly. She definitely looks better now that the fur's given time to settle down :laugh:

Yeah, I guess it would be cheaper, you're right.

My mom used to cut our poodle's hair with scissors. She was better with the dog haircuts than ours. I have pictures to prove it! :rofl: Bad childhood memories of haircuts is most likely why I won't brave the cuts myself. Maybe in a few years, maybe.

I guess if you're going for a basic cut, it would be alright. I don't know, just thinking aloud.

My two have their first appointment this Sat. I hope they let me watch, as I don't know how these guys will behave.

If I owned a poodle I would clip it myself (yes, I'm a groomer, but I probably would have tried before too). It can get very expensive going monthly or even every two months to the groomers.

But I also see a lot of people's attempts at home grooming - not pretty :laugh:

We also get clients that come very regularly to get their dogs groomed and it costs them hundreds a year :rofl: I guess it comes down to how much time people have and how much money - because this time of year we see the result of having little of both (and little commonsense as well).

It'll be interesting to see if they let you watch the grooming process, sometimes dogs can act up more when their owners are there and it depends how the groomers set up their day if it is convenient for you to stay.

At first I used a pictorial by a groomer expert in Maltese dogs that I found online...that was very helpful in how to use clippers and what brushes and combs to get.....Now I pretty much know what I like so I just go for it.

In the past I have had some real boo boos during my learning curve. :laugh: Once I cut Scrappy's ears so short that my daughter kept consoling Scrappy that it was ok and that she had sent out a search party for his ears :rofl:

I figure that while Scrappy likes our grooming/bonding sessions that even with the occassional oooops! it is worth the loving and cuddles that we have and it is hair, it will grow back.

My mom used to cut our poodle's hair with scissors. She was better with the dog haircuts than ours. I have pictures to prove it! :laugh: Bad childhood memories of haircuts is most likely why I won't brave the cuts myself. Maybe in a few years, maybe.

I've bought a set of electric clippers just so I can do my 2. I've also got a slicker brush, coat king, nail clippers, scissors (thinning, curved and straight), and wide toothed comb.

I have spent a bit of money but I reckon it's worth it in the long run, especially with my cockers......

I do both my Bedlingtons and although they don't look like showdogs they turn out fine. And if I clip one part too short it will grow and that is how you learn.

I originally began clipping when I had an English Springer Spaniel and was able to do a lovely job on her after I had done her a couple of years.

:laugh:

Yes I do, he wears a soft muzzle and doesn't enjoy it much.

I watched a pro-groomer friend do him first. I use scissors on him, he's not a showdog.

I use elec clippers on horses, but I find scissors work fine for Benji.

I mainly cut the underneath hair which knots most easily and leave it long on top of his back and around his face.

He looks weird with 3 legs anyway, a funny haircut doesn't matter!

before i became a groomer i was already clipping my dogs, used to just do what ever and hope it turned out good, i learnt from my mistakes basically!!!!its really not that hard, most of my clients are either too lazy to learn to do it there selves OR their dog wont let them!!!dogs can act up something shocking if their human is present, nine times outa ten if you get the owner to leave the dog stops playing up!!!!i say go for it, you'd save stacks in the long run!!!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

yup, me. I clip my Maltese terrier girl. She looks a bit odd for a week or so and then it starts to grow back. I just clipped her for spring last weekend and the clippers died mid clip (cheap crappy set.) I had to to the rest of the dog with scissors so I left her a bit choppy looking, its already looking bettr a week later. She didn't much like the clippers when I first started it but she's fairly resigned to it now and she hated going to the groomers so it is much less stressful for her if I do it. Just keep telling yourself 'it grows back!'

Jo

As I own three poodles, I do them myself. I own all the pro gear - grooming table, sand dryer (got a force one too), clippers, blades, scissors (straight and curved) etc. It would be a prohibitive cost to have them groomed properly by a professional and I do them more often than most people would have their dogs groomed. My laundry was also renovated with dog grooming in mind.

I got lessons from a friend who's a poodle breeder (thanks JAG) and bought Shirley Kalstones "International Book of Poodle Grooming". The dogs looked a bit ordinary at first but I got better. I do it properly using both clippers and scissors.

VEHS:

But I also see a lot of people's attempts at home grooming - not pretty

You'd have said the same about mine initially but I think I do OK now. :laugh: I hate seeing poodles that have simply been clipped all over with a close blade or roughly scissored but it still beats a matted dog hands down.

Edited by poodlefan

As someone that is just starting to look into doing my own clipping - I am overwhelmed.

I have NO idea where to start, what I will need, how to do anything.

I've watched the groomer so I kinda have some idea on the how to clip, but she does it differently to the last groomer and so on and so forth.

ARGH!

I groom both my cockers, mainly because I love grooming (and show the younger one). Setting up with the gear is expensive to start with, but well worth it.

I have owned and showed an old english sheepdog and a cairn terrier. Both I groomed myself as the breeders were keen to teach me. The cockers are the hardest by far to keep looking good. I trim and bath each week - a big bill if I didn't do it myself.

Becky, happy to help with some tips if you would like to have a go. I'm still on "L" plates, but have some good teachers :laugh: