Do You Clip Your Own Doggie?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boys have had a clip. I had a HUGE chuckle when I picked them up as they looked like just shorn sheep! Seeing as I have only just homed them I am unfamiliar with their look after such a clipping, so I kept on giggling away! The guy must have thought I was drunk or something. Ha ha ha ha! I can't take piccies cuz GOMEZ ATE the RECHARGER CORD and I can't recharge my camera! Grrr!

I made another appointment for 23rd Dec, as I am still not game to take on the clippers. But I'll keep an eye on this thread and listen to all comments.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just bought myself some clippers from ebay. They should arrive end of week or sometime next week. Boys are still looking good as they were clipped only 2 1/2 weeks ago. But maybe I can practice while hair is still short. The clipper come with a dvd.

I've got a black miniature poodle (pet) and have been clipping him myself for the past 1-2 years. Prior to that, he used to go to a groomer regularly. I used to go to the groomer every 6 months or so, then home clips in between.

The clippers, scissors and blades are not cheap and it takes about this time to get your money back. I like being able to keep him shaved closely around the feet, face and base of tail. Looks good AND clean and practical.

I got lots of help on DOL, bought the Shirlee Kalstone book (that poodlefan mentioned) and practised.

For some reason, I decided to shave off ears and pompom and clip closer all over for summer. He looks like a bad home-done job, but poodle fur grows back quickly and we love him for personality, not so much looks.

I used to pay $40 for the basic poodle clip with bath and nails done. Given the time it takes me to brush, comb, bath, blowdry, brush, comb, clip and scissor it's good value IMHO! It's just a hassle for me to do the drive, drop-off, pick-up every 6 weeks and nice relationship-building to clip your own dog.

Okay... so the clippers came in the mail yesterday and I had to immediately give them a go, on both dogs. The first dog looks like a patchwork quilt, but the second one looks alright.

BUT when I showed my hubby the clippers this morning he got ALL excited :) . He wants me to clip him! :rofl: He says they look the same as at the barber so might as well. I'm trying to explain to him it's not the same, but he's really keen!

I DON'T GET MEN!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to start a new thread but wanted to 'share'.

I woke up at 5:30 AM on Sunday. Everyone was asleep. What to do, what to do?

I decided to have another go at clipping the woofers. I did a much better job this time. But after clipping both dogs and it being 6:30AM and everyone still asleep I got to thnking again...What to do, what to do?

BUT then the Persain strolled by... ahem... we now call him the Little Lion. hehh, hehhh, hehh, hehhh!

I decided to clip Gomez, Maverick and Oscar. :D

First up we have Gomez PB190006.jpg

Next up is Maverick PB190007.jpg

And my own little lion, Oscar PB190019-1.jpg:thumbsup::laugh::rofl:

Trying to copy from other thread instead of doing it all over again (ading piccies) Fingers crossed it works.

Ed typos

Edited by Becky in Oz

Sorry Becky but Oscar looks pretty tragic :laugh: Did you find the dogs much easier than the cat to get even?

The dogs look great :thumbsup:

Hehh, heeh, I know. I actually did have a bit of a time clipping Oscar. I think I should have cut the long fur with scissors first??? then tried the clippers. Don't know. This was his first ever clipping.

Oh, that is tragic Becky. Thanks for the photos though :laugh: Poor Oscar. I hope you gave him something yummy for dinner (for the next like, 3 years :thumbsup:)

The dogs look good though :rofl:

Aweeee, he thinks he looks beautiful!

He was tricky to clip. Hopefully I'll get better. He's happier now that the foster kitty has gone and has me all to himself again (for now). He's a genuinely a happy cat, he just looks a bit funny.- with and without hair

Sorry Becky but Oscar looks pretty tragic :laugh: Did you find the dogs much easier than the cat to get even?

The dogs look great :thumbsup:

Hehh, heeh, I know. I actually did have a bit of a time clipping Oscar. I think I should have cut the long fur with scissors first??? then tried the clippers. Don't know. This was his first ever clipping.

The cat fur is very dense so you will have to keep going over it to tidy it up. Mind you mine look pretty tragic sometimes too - I just tell them it is 2 weeks between a bad haircut and good one :rofl: