Apple Cidar Vinegar

If you live in the country, try your local produce store. It is used for horses as well. You'll be able to buy it in bulk which is a huge saving. Some produce stores also have it with garlic if you intend to add it to food, but for adding to water it is best to just use the plain stuff. If you purchase from the supermarket be sure to check the label and make sure it has no colours, preservatives or flavours in it.

Cool, thanks all. Will be down the store later so I will have a look...

how much ACV should dogs be getting a day?

is it based on their weight?

I was also wondering this...

KitKat - Might try it on the weeds, they seem to be taking over lately... :D

Ellz - Good idea, I'll have a look there too and see how prices differ :)

Hi Tessa Bella ;)

If I could get my dogs to drink ACV pure I would! :laugh: (Just kidding - but honestly, I think it makes a big difference to the general health of my dogs plus tear staining is reduced for my littlies ;) )

With any dog who hasn't had apple cider vinegar, I would just add the tiniest amount - like 2 mls per litre at the beginning and then increase the amount over time. My dogs have a large bowl which holds about 3 litres of water and I now put 10 mls of ACV in it - that has been built up over a long period of time and I wouldn't bother putting in any extra. In water, the idea is that the ACV clears impurities in the water which in turn helps the tearstaining. :D

I also add 5 mls per dog to their food - just because I believe its good for them :p If you started a Cav puppy off putting 1 ml ACV in the food, I think this would be an easy option :)

My dogs range in weight from 3kg to 10kg and they all get the same dosage. I do double the dose for my BCX Cattledog just because she's a fatty and closer to 20kgs :D And she'd eat your arm if it wasn't attached so there's no eating issues there :p The littlies were a little more fussy about it to start with (the dogs can smell it in the water particularly) so if I added too much for them,they wouldn't drink it so I would just go back to the previous dosage until I could sneak in an extra ml without them complaining :)

The cloudy ACV is the one to get - it is actually the "mother" as it's known, which does the job :confused:

So, there seems to be an element of truth in nursery rhymes. Jack and Jill went up the hill. When Jack fell down and broke his crown, the treatment was vinegar and brown paper.

It has always intrigued me what the signifance was of the brown paper tho. Any medicinal qualities with it?

Yeah the vinegar would've been apple cider in those days :confused:

Hmmm...brown paper....would probably have been rough and made with a particular tree bark which could account for further medicinal qualities :D

I wouldn't be trying the brown paper cure these days :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Morita - it's not an instant fix - over the space of 1 -2 months as you can increase the dosage, you should notice a decrease in tear staining :laugh:

Have you tried the commercial tear stain preparations? As long as you are religious about wiping eyes at leat twice a day, you should have relatively little tear stain :rofl:

I've heard of vinegar being used to reduce tissue oedema, through soaking bandages in it and wrapping joints etc. I guess the brown paper would soak some of it up...used to be use to wrap horses legs when a koalin poultice was applied to them.

No I haven't tried it. I'm not sure what mechanism it is supposed to work by (compared to quite specific information available on it's use in cancer treatment and box jelly fish etc).

Apart from making you smell like a pickle, I can't see it doing any harm (unless of course you get it in an open wound :laugh:)

Might as well say now that I have no objection to alternative / natural / complementary therapies - I just like to know how they are supposed to work - because you're right, they can and do! (Although I have to concede that I find some of them just a bit wacky, but that's another story).

Edited by Rappie

Something to add here. Brown paper apparently undergoes a different "purifying" process to white paper which leaves it still quite primitive in its form. Something to do with the bleaching and preparation process according to Mr Ellz who is a printer.

Perhaps that is why the vinegar and brown paper poultice was seen as being medicinal?