Puppy Is Snuffly

Bethany

Hi could do with a little advice please.

I have a 14 week old chihuahua puppy "Bethany".

I took her for her needle and kennel cough nose stuff on the 10th so a few days ago.

She also had revolution for puppies applied and a threadworm tablet.

Last night we were up with her as she was sort of snorting almost like an asthma attack ( but not) and she is bothered by her skin more than usual. She is snuffly and sounds like a child every now and then with a really snotty nose and sneezing.

I rang the vet they said maybe reverse sneezing and too give her a day too see how she is.

I am concerned as I dont want to take any unnecessary risks with her.

She has been perfectly well before her needle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Bethany

Nice to get one reply thanks for that..

Ive been to the vet she is wheezing - she has been given an antibiotic sht and has to go back tomorrow.

The vet says she is reacting to the immunization.

So tonight she will sleep in my bed and I have to use steam if she has any troubles. Poor little poppet.

I had some pups done with the vet squirting it up the nostrils, and they all had a similar reaction, and the one I kept to show was so terrified of being on the table with a stranger coming toward him, I ended up having to sell him for a pet.

That was a couple of years ago, I complained to the vet when he had to go back for antibiotics, so from now on he knows not to give them the vaccine that way again, we have gone back to the needle and no problems.

The other pups in the litter did not seem to react the same way as the little fellow I kept.

So I would insist that any future vaccinations your little girl has insist on the vaccine being administered by needle.

Well took her back to the vet today she has a respiratory infection cause from the immunisation she is crackly sounding etc.

She has had the antibiotic shot and also is on antibiotics for home. They dont really recommend that she is vaccinated again.

Or at the least have her given a shot of antihistamine at the same time. She sounds a bit asthma like.

I find it so strange that they give the same dose to a chihuahua pup as they would a great dane pup.

Vet said we have 12 months to decide wether we want to vaccinate her at all. She said maybe we can try the C3 she had a c6 this time and kennel cough nose drops but they dont recommend she has it again.

Its all very confusing - she is alot happier today but still sneezing and sniffly and a bit of a cough and rattle.

Its not making sense - antihistamine, antibiotics and a respiratory infection from a vaccination? Have you tried getting a second opinion all this doesnt sound right.

Immunisations are not the same doses, it is weight dependant. A dane would get much much more then your little pup. I want to understand why a 14 week old pup had a c6 anyway its a lot for a tiny breed pup to handle.

You also mention her skin bothered her more then usual, what did you mean? Maybe she had the beginning of a chest infection, then the vaccination overleaded her system and it took hold.

She was perfectly healthy before the immunisation.

Then we took her to our reg vet, I explained to them my concerns as we already lost a puppy to a vaccination years ago.

They said its the same dose for all puppies of this age.

I trusted what they said.

They gave her the needle and then the kennle cough drops which seemed to almost drown her there was alot of it.

Then she snorted and snuffled a bit as she didnt like it.

Then the next day she started making a snuffly sound a few times I rang the vet they said reverse sneezing.

I researched it and I wasnt happy with that as they said not to worry about it but i didnt feel like it was that.

We took her in they said she was very very crackly in her uppper respiratory system and her nose was runny and so were her eyes. The vet gave her an antibiotic shot and said to bring her back the next day.

She was more lively the next day but still sneezing and snorting we took her back they have put her on 5 days of antibiotics and said-- Prob shoudnt immunize again she has had a reaction which has affected her upper respiratry system they said if we want we can look at a c3 and a shot of antihistamine at the same time to hopefully stop the reaction. A bit confusing for me and she is still sneezing and snuffling even wth the antbiotics.

I was told by the vet that some people dont understand that it is the same dose to all puppies regardless of breed at the same ages. They said the only animal they change and measure doeses for is ferrets.

It does not make sense to me AT ALL!

a maybe....

if there seemed a lot of fluid in the nasal spray..

perhaps , instead of forming a light , easily absorbed mist, it travelled on down to the lungs to cause problems? with a tiny pup, and very little membrane to soak up the spray..could this be a possibility?

Poor little thing :cry:

I was told by the vet that some people dont understand that it is the same dose to all puppies regardless of breed at the same ages. They said the only animal they change and measure doeses for is ferrets.

It does not make sense to me AT ALL!

Id be finding a new vet.

a maybe....

if there seemed a lot of fluid in the nasal spray..

perhaps , instead of forming a light , easily absorbed mist, it travelled on down to the lungs to cause problems? with a tiny pup, and very little membrane to soak up the spray..could this be a possibility?

Poor little thing :cry:

It wasnt a mist at all it was in a small container and she was held and it was a proper liquid just poured staright into her nostrils?

Now im getting frightened..