Washing A Large Dog

Mustang66

Hi all

I have a Standard Poodle (a large dog) and just not sure how others out there wash a larger sized dog. He is only 4 months old but getting very big very fast. At the moment I am washing him in the bath but that takes a fair bit of water and shampoo and conditioner. (have always used shampoo and conditioner on our smaller variety of poodle in the past).

I have always owned toy poodles and been able to obviously bath them in the laundry sink.

Can anyone give me their suggestions of how they bath their large dogs?

Thankyou Thankyou thankyou :laugh:

I take my GSD's out to a DIY hydrobath because it's easier for me and they have the blow dryers :laugh:

However, before water restrictions, on hot days i'd bath the dogs by hose in the back yard - just make sure you have the lead and collar on if they don't like a bath etc.

I put Lilly (25 kgs of greyhound) in our bathtub...no worries! :D

I'd never bath a dog using the hose after trying the temperature of the water on myself once. :)

Unless you live in a tropical climate, it's not an ideal solution IMO...I like the idea of using a hose connected to the laundry taps though. :laugh:

When Tango was little I washed him in the bath, then I washed him in the shower, then last time he decided he'd just jump into the bath on command and that solved that problem.....he stay's stiller in the bath than the shower too.......nothing harder to wash than a rotating dog :laugh::)

When Tango was little I washed him in the bath, then I washed him in the shower, then last time he decided he'd just jump into the bath on command and that solved that problem.....he stay's stiller in the bath than the shower too.......nothing harder to wash than a rotating dog :laugh::)

:clap: :D :p :p That's pure gold my friend, PURE GOLD!! :p :cheer::drink:

Before I got a hydrobath, I used to take riley into the yard to wash him.

I had one of those kids clam shell things and I filled up both sides with warm water.

Id stand Riley in one side and wet him, then shampoo him (using a large jug to pour the water on him), and then Id stick in him the other side of the clam shell to rinse him off.

The second clam shell id make the water a bit hotter, so by the time I got to the rinsing stage it was still warm.

I used to do this up against the fence and I clipped a lead onto his collar and then attached it to the fence the first few times to keep him still while i scrubbed.

After a few times he'd stand there without being tethered though.

Edited by wagsalot

When I had big dogs I used a hose attached to the laundry tub so I could use warm water. I bought an attachment, like the ones that come on the water in weed killer etc that you put on a hose, and I put shampoo in that. It got the shampoo through the coat really well and then I'd just use the hose to rinse off. It worked very well on my Newfoundland. I must say bathing little dogs is much easier on the back though :D

we have a DIY dog wash near my place (they are also on DOL!) and i go there about once a fortnight to wash my dogs. im a dog groomer myself so i can manage doing it myself, but they are very helpful for newbies to the hydrobath! :D

im not sure where you are located, but they are in Castle Hill. www.diydogwash.com.au

we have a DIY dog wash near my place (they are also on DOL!) and i go there about once a fortnight to wash my dogs. im a dog groomer myself so i can manage doing it myself, but they are very helpful for newbies to the hydrobath! :rofl:

im not sure where you are located, but they are in Castle Hill. www.diydogwash.com.au

Thanks for the plug Shmoo. You are a sweetie.

Cheers

Leigh K

we get buckets of warm water and wet our rottys and lather them up, then rinse. we use quite a few buckets! :laugh:

Yep same here sassy. Buckets for my two for washing and rinsing. And you're right we do use a few buckets lol. In the warmer weather, and before water restrictions of course we used the hose with the appropriate attachment Nozzle. The buckets are a bit harder work, but still very effective. The water from the buckets gets thrown on the dead lawn :laugh: