Hero Has Demodex Mites Help!

Found out yesterday that Hero has Demodex mites (mange) it is extremely localized with only two spots no bigger then a 5c piece on his side and shoulder, the spots aren't red and don't have any raised lumps but the skin does become flakey if you scratch at it and hair has thinned out. He has been prescribed 600mg of cephalexin (antibiotic) daily, Ivomec starting off 0.1mls orally daily steadily increasing to 0.5mls and sebazole washes twice a week. He has had the two spots for quite some time they haven't gotten any bigger and he doesn't itch or chew on them so I don't think their bothering him.

The fact that Ivomec is unregistered bothered me a bit, so looking it up on the net found that it can cause liver problems in some dogs and that "It is NOT recommended for use in dogs, and the manufacturers go to great lengths to tell vets not to use it on collie type dogs, as it can have particularly disastrous consequences, even coma and death."

I have also found that demodex is primarily an immune issue and that localized demodex mange can clear up on its own with the use of vitamins and an improved diet.

Has anyone had experience with Localized demodex mange? Has any one used Ivomec and how did your dogs react? Does any one have any suggestions as to what I could do to help my baby over come this quickly and painlessly(i.e. supplements, change to diet)? Has anyone successfully treated Localized Demodex Mites without the use of Ivomec?

Hero is a 1y/o Stafford. He is feed a mixture of Eukanuba(sp?) and eagle pack dry food, with alternatively 4leg's chicken and pasta, Natures gift canned food, Salmon once a week, sardines once a week, 2x eggs a week, plus any appropriate table scraps incl veges and fruit. He is also on Glucosameine (sp?) and Calcium Fluoride for an old ligament injury.

I don't want to give some thing to Hero that may make him sick or cause problems later in life for an issue that seems small and isn't bothering him at all. But if it is the consensus that this is the best or only way to treat then I will. I just want to do what's best by Hero. Other then these two spots his coat is extremely shiny and healthy.

P.S sorry for the long post :thumbsup:

Why has he been put on antibiotics? Unless there is a secondary skin infection (usually initiated by all of the scratching) then there isn't a need for them.

They are also in unusual spots.... normally it starts around the face.

Did your vet do a scrape to confirm it was demodex?

If it is demodex then the Ivermectin is important. This can be given by injection of orally as well. Sebazole is only a bacterial wash.

The vet did a skin scrape which confirmed. Also wondered about the anti-biotics as he definately doesn't have infection- maybe they are to prevent an infection? although she knows that he hasn't scatched or chewed on them at any point. He doesn't have any on or around his face or on his chest or front legs- where they usually appear. The first one he came out with is on his side near his hind leg and the other is on the same side a bit down fron his shoulder.

If the scrape was confirmed then I would follow their advice even though, personally, I think it might be alittle over the top. But, on the other hand demodex can spread very quickly and easily and can be very difficult to get under control so I guess they are just being cautious.

Collie breeds can react very badly to ivermectin (coma and death can occur with some dogs) - that would be why there was a warning about the collies in particular. Sorry can't help with the mange - have no experience of it.

As hero's symptoms are at the moment very very localised I am wondering if is it best to take a long term approach and treat by changing diet and adding supplements to increase his immune system??

Alot of what I'm reading suggests that the Ivomec is used to kill the existing mites in severe cases but that they can come back at any time. Adding a chemical as strong as Ivomec appears to be, would it not be a hindrance to his immune system? Meaning once his round of meds is finished I would have to start to rebuild his immune system all over again making him more susceptible to a re-occurrence??

What would you guys do??

Edited by he'smyhero

What would you guys do??

I would ring my vet and speak to him about my concerns and then follow his advice. Afterall, he is the expert in these matters and we are only offering the advice that we know and opinions. Vets are best for the final word in 99% of cases. :thumbsup:

Thanks Puggles I will be calling and discussing all this with her, although I already know that my vet is pretty old school and will probably laugh at a holistic approach. But will discuss it with her any way. May get a second opinion from another vet also. Just hoping to get adivce and opinions from any one on here that has dealt with mites, Ivomec, and treating dogs holisticly.

Any advice on what I can include in Hero's diet to boost his immune system?

Any advice on what I can include in Hero's diet to boost his immune system?

vitamin C....Ester C powder is the best for that from what i've heard. Its a bit on the expensive side but worth it. You can get it from most health food stores...some chemist. Its important to give a non acidic vitamin C.

If it's localised Demodex then yes...it will clear up on it's own...however it will take longer to do so then if treated with Ivermectin. LD can be caused by stress, puberty, etc a bit like a dip of immunity.

Generalised Demodex is the problematic one and it based on an ongoing immunity problem kinda idea...treatment is the only way to go...as well as keeping an eye on things for the rest of the dogs days.

Your vet is following "best practice", which is to get rid of the demodex as soon as possible, and to prevent any bacterial or other infection of the areas. The demodex may heal by itself, but there is the possibility it will get worse.

There can be problems with ivermec, but the main reason it is not approved for use in dogs is that no one got around to it. It was originally approved for use in horses everywhere in the world EXCEPT Australia, for something like 4 years. It finally was approved for use in horses in Aus, and is now the main ingredient of 90% of horse wormers.

Ivermec is widely used by dog owners and particulary breeders, for intestinal worms and as a preventative for heartworm in dogs, approved or not, and is also regularly recommended as the best treatment for demodex.

Thanx guys. I haven't started Hero on the Ivomec yet wanted to at least wait til I had some time off work to watch him. Still not 100% sure what to do, I haven't been able to get in contact with his vet just yet but will try again tomorrow. Will also be asking her about the advocate- thanx staff'n'toller.

Thank you for that Jed it's reassuring to know.

Am still a bit worried about using it as the vet didn't say much and from what I've read may happen. When I was little we had a miniture foxy that had a really bad infestation of fleas the vet insisted that she have these dips done as it was the only way to get rid of them (sorry don't know what the product was as i was pretty young) any way after that she was always sickly, skinny and died a few years later- the vet admitted that it was probably being exposed to the chemicals in these dips. So I was a bit apprehensive that it hasn't been aproved yet.

If any one has anymore suggestions on what might help boost his immune system or help eleviate the demodex or any advise at all. I would really appreciate it. :D

Friends staffy had the same thing.

Both Dectomex (sp) injections & ivomec oral were used but results were very slow. Saw VERY fast results (visual in 1 week) with Advocate.

She also added the vitamin c to meals as a supplement for the immune system. The vet agreed advocate was very good in getting results but as you said talk it over with your vet & do what you think.

Good luck

:D

When i was working in shelters in Perth, we regularly saw dogs with demodex and treated them with Ivomec with no known side effects or consequences. They were also on cephalexin for an intial 2 week period. This was used on all breeds, collie x's included

I had a cav with generalised demodex (caused by stress), and she was treated with ivermec for a long time. The results weren't very good, so the vet suggested a change to cydectin (same drug, different base), and that did clear it, but she was on the drugs for months.

No ill effects. She was so bad I was beginning to wonder if we would even be able to save her life.

Things like aloe vera (cold pressed) can help too. Do some internet research on immune systems, and you will come up with things other than Vit. C, which will work.