How To Train When Not Catching In The Act

kazzakanary

Piper is getting better and better at be housetrained but she still has an 'accident' every day.

The thing is we are not catching her 'in the act' to say NO and take her outside.

It is normallyearly morning and yes I am getting up as soon as I hear her wake - taking her outside (she might do a little wee) and then I go back to bed and she poos somewhere!

Please don't suggest a crate as I don not have one and personally don't want to crate her at this late age

Thanks in advance

How old is she, crating is a terrific tool I use it with my foster dogs also if they are not housetrained whatever age they are :D Sorry to suggest it but can not think of another solution if you dont see her do it...

Don't let her go out of your sight at all. That way she cannot get away with doing it when you're not looking-because you will always be watching.

Crates are very good for doing this. But if you really don't want to use a crate then have her in the same room with you and attach a lead to her and yourself so you are never separated.

A. & A.

Edited by t(AD)pole

tether the dog to you unless you can contain it, or wait outside for half an hour until she does poos as well. Your choice.

you are making life harder for yourself by not considering crate training. It works for so many people and its never too late.

I am trying to train Boris too.

He is perfect at night time sleeping on his bedding in my ensuite and using the newspaper but during the day he is inside and outside and not in my ensuite so I have just put him in the crate in my living room.

I dont get it.

Is he meant to be in it all day? It seems awfully cruel. And he gets hot in it, he pants alot.

Could someone explain it to me like Im 2, It cant be this hard!

He does pee outside but also the minute you bring him back in he does it too so this is why I am crating now.

My house stinks like urine... ewww........ and im a clean person!

EDIT, I just took out the pink mat, its very warm and that was making him too hot I think.

Now its just a large carpet, doubled over for comfort, plus his toys and water.

post-12900-1162608459_thumb.jpg

Edited by saintlysusan

<Is he meant to be in it all day? It seems awfully cruel. And he gets hot in it, he pants alot.>

Hi Saintlysusan. No I wouldn't be leaving him in it all day. My pup is crated at night and has the run of the kitchen if I am out. I wouldn't leave her crated for long periods. How many hours are you leaving him in there?

I only just started today and the longest he was in it was 15 minutes, he'd whine and I'd feel sorry for him so let him out then he'd pee... you get the picture.

Thats a soft crate I have, I didnt bother getting a wire one.

I dont want him in it at all but when hes not, he pees everywhere and now the house reeks. I cant watch him all the time as I have a house full of people to look after and not just my pup!

I think I'll just use it when I cant be watching him.

Dont think he is in it all day, it does sound like he is by reading my posts, but hes not.

Thats what I thought we were meant to do which is why I am questioning it.

Edited by saintlysusan

You can get several types of crates. I have two wire ones and one plastic airline approved one. When first starting crate training you may want to consider a more sturdy one as they may try to get out and break a soft crate.

If you don't want to crate train, I also suggest tethering the dog to you if you cannot watch it. Or you can close all the doors to rooms you don't want the dog in and that reduces the amount of space you have to watch.

I MAY have figured it out!!

We do not leave the doggy door open overnight just cause it is still a bit nippy. We have left her inside the house - with the doggy door open to the back yard a couple of times now for a few hours each time and there have been no messes!

Although I was in the kitchen today and she pee'ed on the dining room carpet just 2 metres from me!! Blows my theory out of the water really?!!

I only just started today and the longest he was in it was 15 minutes, he'd whine and I'd feel sorry for him so let him out then he'd pee... you get the picture.

If you keep doing this you are training him to whine and hate the crate. :laugh: If the puppy cries cover the crate with a blanket and remove it as soon as he is quiet. Only let him out when he is quiet, but be careful if you think he is getting too hot in the soft crate.

I prefer wire crates because they can't wreck them and they are cooler.

<I prefer wire crates because they can't wreck them and they are cooler.>

Yes me too Pax and if it is cool you can always make them snug with a blanket over the top. I've just worked out I have 6 crates and only 3 dogs LOL! I tend to collect them and use them for different purposes. I'll use the plastic airline crates in the car during the cooler months but not in summer.

I always take holidays for 2 weeks when I get a puppy and house training begins immeadiatly they arrive. I have never used a crate, when they eat drink and wake up puppies have to go to the loo, and if you are on the ball there will be no mistakes. At night time my pups sleep in the bed when they wiggle and wake it is straight outside, Elka the last pup I bought, was housetrained when I went back to work 2 weeks later, I would come home at lunch and let her out to go then she was back in until 6pm.

So she was left to her own devices inside for 5 hours at a time.

I used a crate to train Bailey and it took no time at all. Any time I couldn't watch him carefully (not just be in the same room as him) he was in the crate. I took him out every 1/2hr to toilet. When out of the crate I took him outside every 1/2hr as well. I let the times become longer over 2 weeks till I could leave him in his crate for 2hrs at a time and I took him out after every event. Every time he ate, drank, played or slept. If you put a lot of work in at the begining and let life revolve around training Piper it will happen in such a short time but the more you let her pee and poop around the house the longer its going to take. Bailey is now 5 months old and had his first inside accident yesterday and that was because it was hailing outside and he couldnt' go out. He wimpered and carried on then pooped near his door out. I cleaned it up quickly and didn't say anything and made sure I used an smell neutraliser.

Well we were going SO WELL all week - while we were at work Piper seemed to be toileting outside as there were no messes inside when we got home!!

Then this morning when we are all home she poops TWICE in the house!!!

oh well - I suppose she is getting it S L O W L Y!! LOL

If she's having an accident and you didn't see her, you're letting her down, you need to watch her ALL the time when she's inside. Toilet training isn't a science and can be done fast. You're making the process take forever because you're not watching her enough to allow her to learn the rules.

You can't do anything if you didn't see the dog do it.

Why are you leaving a dog that is not toilet trained in the house by itself?

Edited by sas

I dont want him in it at all but when hes not, he pees everywhere and now the house reeks. I cant watch him all the time as I have a house full of people to look after and not just my pup!

I think I'll just use it when I cant be watching him.

Dont think he is in it all day, it does sound like he is by reading my posts, but hes not.

Thats what I thought we were meant to do which is why I am questioning it.

Why do you think crating is cruel? You haven't said it's cruel straight out but it's obvious by what you say. Dogs have toileting schedules if you feed them to schedule, keep a diary so you know what your dogs schedule is. You shouldn't let a dog out of its crate whilst it is crying/barking etc, you're simply training it that you'll come running when it makes a sound.

You also need to get a special spray from the pet store that eliminates that smell. I'm toilet training a puppy at the moment and we have no smells here. By allowing the smell to stay you're saying to your dog.....go to the toilet where the smell is.

If you're not committed to watching the puppy ALL of the time then maybe a puppy wasn't the right choice for you. You either watch the puppy ALL of the time or you get a crate and crate train the puppy.....get a book on crate training, you can find them at amazon or simply google crate training to get some info.

Edited by sas