The Cost Of Euthanasia

tianakaesha

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to get involved in this debate, which is about such a personal and emotive topic for everyone (losing a loved one and money, both massive issues) - I just wanted to say Penumbra, based on what you've said through this thread I think it's clear you did care a lot about this dog and did everything you could to help her. I can understand what it could be like to literally not have the money for a vet bill should one arise - not having to choose between paying another bill, buying food etc instead but actually not have any money at all for any of those things - and how much pressure that can be. You obviously did find the money, good on you, and I don't blame you for trying to find out if you were overcharged or not.

Also, hugs to everyone who has had to go through losing loved animals, especially when they've had to deal with treatment and decision making complications at such an emotional time :(

Edited by Saxonpup

This is an emotive topic but also informative about choices and prices. With vet prices, the time to shop around is when your pet is well and not when you are an emotional wreck. The prices for euthanasia are usually reflected in their general prices so shop around for a good vet who's prices you are happy with, well before you lose a pet. I know my vets charge reasonable prices and provide a wonderful service so I rarely ask what anything is actually going to cost but I am on a monthly account and they let me pay as I can as I am not working at present.

The decision with pet cremations and burials is the same as making the decision for a human funeral and again is easier made if you do some homework well before you are going to need the service. Enquiring about my first pet cremation just before I had my first dog put down was nearly as bad as having to organise a human funeral when I had never done that before. Now with my dogs, the decision is already made. My vet just asks if I still want Pets At Peace and organises it for me.

I agree. Look around now and work out what you are going to do.

Your pets are going to pass away, sort it out while they are healthy.

No thought needed with At. I have only used the one vet, and a friend runs pets at peace and has also done my last two family dogs, as he will do any of my pets who leave me in the future

When I was vet nursing, around 10 years ago, you had these options:

Take your pet home to bury

Individual cremation with ashes returned via pets at peace (unless you wanted to organize your own service)

We could dispose of the body, at a price. This was done through a business like pets at peace, either by mass cremation or mass burial. We had no say in the disposal method. The clinic was charged for the service and the cost passed on to the owner, usually on a 'size' basis. They would pickup when we asked (generally when storage was full), so sometimes that same day, other times it might be a week or 2 before collection.

I hope that answers your question, and I am sorry for your loss. We all grieve differently, but in my experience you will feel better if you try to move on from your experience at the vet. I know it is hard, I have spent time second guessing myself after losing a beloved pet, but have found healing comes more quickly if I take the time to cherish the good memories instead.

My boy died in my arms almost exactly 7 days ago. ( at 8:30)

The vets tried to save him and couldn't.

I pay money into their bank each week. I asked them not to send a bill, I don't want to see it and don't care how much it Is.

I got his ashes back on Sunday and it wasn't cheap. Once again I didn't worry about price. I would pay triple that if I had to.

I'm not rich, I struggle to live each week, but I have a good relationship with the vets and they are fine with our agreement.

My boy gave me so much in life, it's the least I could do for him

So sorry teebs :hug:

Thanks a lot, Saxonpup. Empathy is nice. A Saxon fan I take it? :)

I agree. Look around now and work out what you are going to do.

Your pets are going to pass away, sort it out while they are healthy.

The beauty of hindsight... The problem was that we really thought she was going to make it. It wasn't until the day she got put down that we found out she had cancer. And by that time she was extremely exhausted and depressed. It just felt right to get it done there and then. It had already been such an exhausting journey for all of us. And being that the vets usual charges were good, I didn't think it was gonna cost that much. Although, being that it looks like she got a proper cremation, I guess it was actually a pretty good deal.

Some places they get dumped in land fill. Either way, if you don't take your pet home, you will most likely have to pay for disposal, which is only fair.

In Australia? How do you know that?

Yeah, but I shouldn't be charged for something if it's usually free. But now it appears that it's not usually free... it appears that there's a difference between a group cremation and a group incineration (if ya know what I mean)...

When I was vet nursing, around 10 years ago, you had these options:

Take your pet home to bury

Individual cremation with ashes returned via pets at peace (unless you wanted to organize your own service)

We could dispose of the body, at a price. This was done through a business like pets at peace, either by mass cremation or mass burial. We had no say in the disposal method. The clinic was charged for the service and the cost passed on to the owner, usually on a 'size' basis. They would pickup when we asked (generally when storage was full), so sometimes that same day, other times it might be a week or 2 before collection.

I hope that answers your question, and I am sorry for your loss. We all grieve differently, but in my experience you will feel better if you try to move on from your experience at the vet. I know it is hard, I have spent time second guessing myself after losing a beloved pet, but have found healing comes more quickly if I take the time to cherish the good memories instead.

Thank you, PD. Do you know if the mass cremation is the same thing they have at pounds or the AWL? I just want to know if that extra $140(?) meant that her remains were treated with more dignity than they would have been otherwise. And I also want to know if some vets do actually waive the mass cremation fee. Cheers.

I had to have my bird PTS three weeks ago when he developed a nasty cancer. I only had to pay for the cremation as my boss put my beautiful baby to sleep, but even with staff discount from the cremation place, I am still up for $220ish dollars. Luckily I can pay it off :)

Sorry, ES. I'm guessing that it was an individual cremation?

EDIT: Obviously, as you said that you only had to pay for the cremation. Sorry.

Edited by Penumbra

Not really hindsight, dogs live 14ish years. We know that there is a good chance we will out live them...

I get people in at work who look at the pets at peace info and almost go into shock , they say that they can't stand to think of their pet dying and refuse to realise that their pet will die.

No one likes to think about it, but it's a fact.

I was not expecting my dog to die

At 3am he seemed ok, 5.5 hours later he was gone.

Not really hindsight, dogs live 14ish years. We know that there is a good chance we will out live them...

I get people in at work who look at the pets at peace info and almost go into shock , they say that they can't stand to think of their pet dying and refuse to realise that their pet will die.

No one likes to think about it, but it's a fact.

I was not expecting my dog to die

At 3am he seemed ok, 5.5 hours later he was gone.

Like I said before, Teebs, it's a long story. This wasn't my dog, and the latest owner of her was a disabled person who only had her for about 2 years.

:) Penumbra, Saxon is the oldest of my three dogs (at 3 yrs old), my little 5kg Poodle x who introduced me to the amazing world of dog ownership!

You didn't name him after the band then? It's a good name either way. :)

I didn't know about the band Saxon, just googled and see they were pretty big! I'm a bit young for them tho, born in 1979. I think my Saxon would like to think he was named after a heavy metal band, he doesnt really see himself as the small, blonde poodle he is, in his head he's totally a rocker. Funnily enough, my youngest dog is named Quinn, which I see was the surname of one of the Saxon guitarists.

Totally off topic, sorry, but interesting for me to learn!

I have no idea what the AWL does with the bodies of deceased animals. They would be subject to the same laws as everyone else. They may have their own facilities to cremate or bury the body.

I am sure some vets *could* waive the disposal fee. Just like a shopkeeper *could* decide to give you a loaf of bread or your landlord *could* decide to let you live rent free. But why should they? It's a business and businesses don't become successful by doing things for free. Your vet has to pay another company to take the body of the dog. It's only reasonable they pass that cost onto their consumer (owner).

I didn't know about the band Saxon, just googled and see they were pretty big! I'm a bit young for them tho, born in 1979. I think my Saxon would like to think he was named after a heavy metal band, he doesnt really see himself as the small, blonde poodle he is, in his head he's totally a rocker. Funnily enough, my youngest dog is named Quinn, which I see was the surname of one of the Saxon guitarists.

Totally off topic, sorry, but interesting for me to learn!

Synchronicity. :)

I have no idea what the AWL does with the bodies of deceased animals. They would be subject to the same laws as everyone else. They may have their own facilities to cremate or bury the body.

I am sure some vets *could* waive the disposal fee. Just like a shopkeeper *could* decide to give you a loaf of bread or your landlord *could* decide to let you live rent free. But why should they? It's a business and businesses don't become successful by doing things for free. Your vet has to pay another company to take the body of the dog. It's only reasonable they pass that cost onto their consumer (owner).

I was told of a vet that would euphanize and dispose of the body for $80. But as we've been talking about, it appears that "disposal" and "cremation" are two different things.

I agree it is something we all have to be prepared for, a plan in place, financially and emotionally.

It is very interesting thread to read as i wasnt ready with my previous dogs, 2 x rottis.

Found out they both had cancer 1 week apart,passing within 2 monthes of each other.

my boy died naturally in his sleep, my girl i had to make the decision to put pts.

In hind sight i should of pts earlier but i just couldnt do it, my vet at the time (i have since moved) was amazing and wouldnt charge me for their last visits, and with my girl allowed me time to say goodbye in his only consult room while he used his office for other patients.

I had them cremated and like knowing they are still with me......they were 11 and 12 but i still wasnt prepared to loose them.

But it is awful to think people might take advantage financially at this time.

We had a 24kg dog euthed recently and the fee was $125 for euth only, we buried him at home. The vet waived that fee which I didn't realise until I recieved the bill in the mail.

Considering the amount of time we took and the fact we got him back in a lovely calico and gold bag with flowers on it I was quite amazed to see they had discounted the euth price.

Some places they get dumped in land fill. Either way, if you don't take your pet home, you will most likely have to pay for disposal, which is only fair.

In Australia? How do you know that?

Yeah, but I shouldn't be charged for something if it's usually free. But now it appears that it's not usually free... it appears that there's a difference between a group cremation and a group incineration (if ya know what I mean)...

yes in Australia and how do I know that? I used to help load the bodies onto the guys trailer that charged to take them to the landfill. We paid him and paid the tipping fees.

Hindisght _ we all know sadly our beloved pets will pass away

even on a pension we can afford to put a few dollars away per week to help for when that time comes - it all adds up over a few years to help

When I rang AWL 2 months ago

I asked for a private cremation and was quoted the price

what it costs for a group one I didnt ask

I did aks how I knew it was going to be just me dog that I get back and was told they have divisions for each private cremation

what they do with the bodies I didnt ask

they did ask me what I wished to do with our girl , would we like her placed in a Memorial wall or collected by us in a urn etc

the AWL picks up from the Vets the body of your animal for free

this was told to me by them when I rang

IF your pet passes away at home then they will charge $100-00 to collect their body from your home

They dont pick up on weekends though , so then need to get your animal to a vet to keep until Mondays

this I found out when Sam passed away on a weekend